HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Zitrone

Latest Awards:

Default "Are you beach body ready?" tube advert causes a stir

So this advert has been across the london underground for around 2 weeks maybe and I have seen it on several occasions but never thought much of it until I saw some stuff on BuzzFeed about it

Protein World's latest campaign asks if women are "beach body ready", alongside an image of a slim model. Thousands of people have criticised the ad for suggesting that only women of a certain shape are ready to wear bikinis in the summer.

Several billboards in the London Underground have been defaced, with some altering it to read "Each body's ready".

In response, chief executive Arjun Seth told Channel 4 News that the adverts are "aspirational" and that he would only take notice of a growing petition if it reached a million signatures.

He said those who have campaigned online and destroyed the ads are "terrorists, you can quote me on that".

Over 45,000 people have signed a Change.org petition calling for the ads to be removed from the London Underground.

Founder Charlotte Baring wrote: "Protein World is directly targeting individuals, aiming to make them feel physically inferior to the unrealistic body image of the bronzed model, in order to sell their product.

"Perhaps not everyone's priority is having a 'beach body' (by the way, what is that?), and making somebody feel guilty for not prioritising it by questioning their personal choices is a step too far."

Last week, Protein World defended the ad by pointing out that its model Renee Somerfield has a healthy BMI, saying: "It is a shame that in 2015 there are still a minority who aren't focusing on celebrating those who aspire to be healthier, fitter and stronger.

"We now run Britain's largest protein facility, selling our products in over 50 countries to more than 300,000 customers. Most of them are women. How could we possibly be sexist?"

Meanwhile, Somerfield herself has responded to the controversy, saying that some feminists have made her feel body-shamed.

"I think nearly every ad campaign you have ever seen is open to interpretation," she told the Huffington Post. "But saying the ad is body shaming by body shaming the image is very contradictory. Two wrongs don't make a right."

She added: "I am a real person behind the image. I work very hard and live a healthy and active lifestyle which is why Protein World chose me for their campaign.

"I couldn't work every day as a full time model by starving myself, dieting or not looking after my body. Nourish your body, be kind to it and it will love you right back, no matter your size. I agree that ALL bodies are 'beach body ready'. Skinny, curvy, muscular, petite, tall, short, young and old. Confidence is beautiful no matter what size you are. Your reflection doesn't define your worth."

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/...#ixzz3YYFaU4gK
    Here are some pics/tweets of what people think about the adverts

You should also check out the twitter feed of Protein World because whoever is running their timeline is so unprofessional and just a ****! (in fact I think it's the CEO) - https://twitter.com/ProteinWorld

---

Personally I think there is nothing wrong with the advert but the way protein world are handling the situation is quite immature, however according to them they have made £1m in the last 4 days so..
    Last edited by Expling; 01-05-2015 at 08:41 PM.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I wonder would this have gotten the same, less, or more backlash if it featured both a man and a woman. It's not an unattainable standard of beauty, it is an attainable standard of health with a poorly concocted tagline.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

So that's not okay but what Hollister and Abercrombie & Fitch (and other brands) are doing is fine? Millions of people are carrying their bags around advertising the ''perfect'' body.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I don't think this is that bad but maybe (clearly) women have a better stance on it. I think "beach body" is a term that is widely known and I don't see a problem with these companies using that term to make sales. In regards to the picture of the woman, this is used in advertising all over the world for everything. People hire attractive people to attract customers to their product.

What this company is doing is no different to what no other company does so I don't think it's worth lashing out. Forgive me if I have offended anyone.

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

Utterly ridiculous. Body image is hugely important and it's something I struggle with all the time but an advert implying that you could look like X if you buy/do Y is not problematic in any way. People love to get up in arms over this sort of thing but if this is offensive then so is an advert for Oxfam because omf it's totes saying that if you don't donate to them you hate children!!!!!!

Advertising is a big business for a reason. Tired tired tired of the idea that preferences and ideals are a bad thing
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens
    Habbo
    Stealth

Latest Awards:

ngl the people who have a problem with this probably don't see A&F and such having half naked men with rock hard abs and sculpted chests on their shopping bags as a problem either

We part, only to meet again. 12/11/04

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

Laughing so hard at the @VagendaMagazine tweet "**** the patriarchy" lmao that makes no sense!! What are they even on about their body not being a commodity? That's not even relevant!! People need to stop being little fairies over a bloody advertisement as far as I'm concerned rather rather than vandalise property. I hope they end up having to pay for the damage caused. You can call out ProteinWorld for being unprofessional all you want but I don't see you mentioning the behaviour of the other people which is far worse.

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Fat people shouldn't be wearing bikinis or speedos. Of course they can if they really really really want to, but it ain't a pretty sight to the rest of us. And I don't understand why we should all be forced to pretend by the far-left tumblr nutters that every body shape is beautiful when it simply isn't. Those who are offended should take more notice of their own body which is probably offended health-wise by the amount of food they're shoving down their gob.
    Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 28-04-2015 at 03:05 AM.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Beach Body has been a colloquial term for losing weight for the summer for years. I don't get the issue.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens
    Habbo
    mdport.

Latest Awards:

I love how people are writing over them.

I'm not a woman so the sign doesn't really apply to me and therefore I'm not overly bothered by it. Even if it was a picture of a guy I don't think I'd care either tbh, I just tend to ignore that kind of stuff because half the time the products they're advertising don't interest me.

I'd be more worried about the walk to the beach and having to walk on bloody huge pebbles to even get to water. So glad we have sand here.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast