HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    -:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Default Tony Abbott is ready to rule the Aussies

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...e-Aussies.html

Tony Abbott is ready to rule the Aussies

Though branded a misogynist and extremist, Liberal leader Tony Abbott is likely to win this week’s federal election in Australia

Ready for take off: Liberal Party leader Tony Abbott looks likely to become Australia's next prime minister

Quote Originally Posted by Telegraph
    Tony Abbott, the British-born leader of the Australian Liberal Party, has been ridiculed as a boorish brawler, whose deep conservatism and apparent misogyny ought to make him terminally unelectable. A monarchist and a devout Catholic who once trained to be a priest, his nicknames have included “Dr No”, “The Mad Monk” and “People Skills” (because he was presumed not to have any).

Yet this Saturday, Australians vote in the federal election and – if the opinion polls are correct – Mr Abbott will silence the naysayers. He is set to defeat Kevin Rudd to become the country’s 28th prime minister and usher in a new era of conservative government in Australia, after just two terms of shaky Labor rule.

Australians, and the world, will soon find out in which direction the country will head under a man whose contradictions have been on stark display since his school days in Sydney.

The 55-year-old father of three, who won an Oxford boxing Blue as a Rhodes Scholar, has urged his daughters to remain virgins until they marry, but admitted he long believed that he had fathered a child while at university; he has been a tireless and disciplined campaigner but has a propensity for verbal slip-ups; he presents himself as an “inspired pragmatist”, yet is dismissed by critics as a wily conservative ideologue.

For his part, Mr Abbott, who was mentored by the former longstanding Liberal prime minister John Howard, has never shied away from laying out a consistent political philosophy. “I’m not someone who wants to see radical change based on the fashion of the moment,” he said in a radio interview last month. “I’m not saying that our culture, our traditions are perfect, but we have to respect them, and my idea is to build on the strength of our society, and I support, by and large, evolutionary change.”

As a monarchist who opposes same-sex marriage, who strongly supported the Iraq war and who once referred to climate change science as “absolute crap”, he has frequently swum against the tide of public opinion. Just four years ago, when he was still in something of the political wilderness, Mr Abbott elaborated on his world view in his book Battlelines. Signalling his strong support for socially conservative values, he praised Mr Howard’s sceptical stances on multiculturalism, Aboriginal reconciliation and a republic, and applauded his crusade against a “nagging doubt about Australia’s legitimacy as a country”.

“Conservatism is a pragmatic, eclectic creed, above all respectful of what’s stood the test of time,” he wrote. “A politician has to be a leader but cannot be a dictator.” Of his reputation as an unyielding and overly aggressive political combatant, he admitted: “Political parties, no less than rugby teams, need some hard men.”

However, after brutally and effectively attacking Labor for the past four years, particularly over its policies on climate change and asylum seekers, Mr Abbott has tried to steer away from that hard-man image. A fitness-obsessed cyclist, swimmer and volunteer lifeguard, he has used the five-week campaign to present himself as a calm, reliable alternative to Labor, which has changed leaders twice in three years.

In recent months, he has largely avoided being seen in public in tight-fitting Lycra cycling gear or in his trademark red “budgie smuggler” swimming trunks. Instead, he has frequently appeared with his two younger daughters, Frances, 22, and Bridget, 20, who introduced him at his official campaign launch – a job typically reserved for a party stalwart.

“For us, he’s not just the guy on TV, he’s the man, along with our mum, who has helped us to become the women we are today,” said Frances.

His daughters, who support same-sex marriage and regard themselves as non-devout Christians, have helped to demonstrate that he does not shun those with whom he differs – a handy message, given the unpopularity of some of his social views. Louise, 24, his oldest daughter, has been living in Switzerland but returned this week to be with the family ahead of her father’s likely victory.

Asked whether he would encourage his daughters to become politicians, particularly after the harsh personal attacks made on Julia Gillard, Australia’s first female prime minister – which he was often accused of orchestrating – he said it would be “a tough call, a very tough call”.

“I would want to warn them that it is a pretty tough field, and if you’re going to go into it, you’re going to cop a lot of barbs,” he said. “That’s why in this business you’ve got to have a thick skin as well as a strong ego.”

Mr Abbott has delivered his fair share of barbs over the years and shown few gaps in his ego. He appeared at protests against Ms Gillard in front of signs referring to her as “*****” and “witch” – and she later denounced him as sexist and a misogynist in parliament.

Though he remains a somewhat divisive figure and has high disapproval ratings, Australians appear to have accepted the idea that he will be their next prime minister. Earlier this week, for the first time in his four-year rivalry with Mr Rudd, he finally emerged in the polls as the preferred prime minister, with a narrow lead of 43 to 41 per cent.

“The presidential style of campaigning Rudd wanted at this election – against an opposition leader Labor regarded as unelectable – no longer works,” a commentator, Peter Van Onselen, wrote in The Australian. “In fact, it has backfired.”

Mr Rudd has sought to pit himself directly against Mr Abbott, painting the opposition leader as a harsh, untrustworthy extremist who will deliver David Cameron-style austerity measures and risk driving Australia into a recession. The prime minister, a Mandarin-speaking former diplomat, has ridiculed his opponent’s description of the war in Syria as “baddies versus baddies” and denounced his reference to a Liberal candidate’s “sex appeal”. But Mr Abbott has not flinched.

Instead, he has stuck to the script that he has had four years as opposition leader to prepare. He has pledged to scrap Labor’s carbon tax and mining tax, will toughen measures to deter asylum seekers arriving by boat, will reduce the deficit and cut the public sector. He plans largely to stick with Labor’s plans for health and education spending and has refrained from advocating a return to Mr Howard’s tough, unpopular workplace laws.

His emblematic policy has been one that many in his party oppose – a plan to introduce one of the world’s most generous paid maternity leave schemes. It has helped to soften his image and enhance his appeal to women, but has been criticised by the business community as too expensive and unfair. The scheme will impose a tax on large companies and grant mothers up to six months’ pay on salaries of up to £90,000 a year.

“People say 'Oh, it’s too soon, it’s too expensive, it’s unfair, I didn’t get it, so why should anyone else get it?’” he said at the national press club this week. “Well, I think we’re better than that. I think we’re bigger than that, and this will be a signature reform should there be a change of government.”

Dr Zareh Ghazarian, from Monash University, an expert on Australian politics, believes Mr Abbott will not rule as an ideologue. Instead, he is likely to be a pragmatic social conservative – like Mr Howard – and will be “at least a two-term prime minister”.

“He will not be too hard-line and he is not an economic neo-liberal,” Dr Ghazarian says. “I believe he is a very wily politician. He has remodelled himself to be a far more appealing person and pragmatic person than we thought he would be. He will be a very, very cautious prime minister with one, if not two, eyes on the mood of the public.”

In opposition, Mr Abbott remained in place as Labor switched leaders from Mr Rudd to Ms Gillard in 2010 and then back to Mr Rudd in June. At the 2010 election, he ended Labor’s majority and forced Ms Gillard to preside over a minority government – Australia’s first in more than 70 years. She ruled with the support of the Greens, which prompted harsh attacks from Mr Abbott, who accused Labor of “selling its soul” and supporting “social engineering”.

Now he has focused his final days of campaigning on a pledge to deliver “stable government” instead of “confusion and chaos”. The polls show that Australian voters have been turned off by Labor’s turmoil. While they may remain wary of Mr Abbott, they are ready to give him a chance.
    I have followed Mr. Abbott for a few years now, and i've been relatively impressed by him - if you read the description above it literally reads as the Australian version of Mr. Farage. A monarchist like Howard before him, supports traditional marriage, doesn't believe in global warming and pretty much speaks his mind in an unpolitically correct fashion... whats not to like?

But there's two relations here back to British politics - firstly, this is a warning for the Conservatives who are going to try and paint the next election as a battle between Cameron and Miliband ... aka a battle of personalities with the smooth-talking Cameron against the 'nerdy' Miliband - and as shown here in Australia, it hasn't worked for PM Rudd. Secondly, it may come as a surprise to some that the leader of the Australian right-wing party actually has come opinions unlike Mr Cameron over here - well that's because in the 1990s, a party was set up called the One Nation Party that was essentially a UKIP-esque movement which scored 20% in the pollls ... the then-Conservative leader, John Howard, basically adopted all of it's policies and it's influence is still felt today even though the party has ceased to be.

PS - although he's leader of the Liberal Party, it's not the equivilent as the Liberal Democrats over here. In Australia, the Labor Party is the Labour Party of Australia and the Liberal Party is the Conservative Party of Australia. Just incase anybody is confused.

Interesting times. How do Australians on the forum feel?
    Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 04-09-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Ekelektra is offline Content Design Manager
    HabboxLive Senior DJ (Erin)

Tokens
    Habbo
    Ekelektra

Latest Awards:

I do think Tony Abbott will win. This week he's been performing better in the media who have really been hating on Labor recently.

I can't vote this year as I'm just 27 days too young but if I could I would be voting Liberal.

Check out our fabulous wiki!!!

Tokens
    Habbo
    mdport.

Latest Awards:

I'd love it for Tony Abbott to lose this election tbh, I think he's rude, sexist (look at the way he behaved with Julia Gillard) ignorant and every single one of his election promises will probs be broken. And he's cutting education in WA which has created a huge uproar and loads of protests outside state parliament (State Premier is Liberal) which I reckon has made liberal lose their seats in WA. As far as K-Rudd goes, he's starting to crack and is getting snappy with a few people but who can blame him, I would snap at the media portraying me in a negative way and then people yelling things to me when touring different cities and states. I know a lot of people are voting greens because they don't like either person. I'm too young to vote but yeah, It's got to the point now where I don't want to watch TV because the election adverts are sooooooooooooooo pointless, having digs at one another and happen every second Ad. I'm over it. At least I'm working all day on election day, won't have to hear anything about it ))))

Tokens
    Habbo
    Daltron

Latest Awards:

He just won.

I hate this country so much and the idiots who believe anything they read that Murdoch and Fairfax spit out into our media. He's the most sexist politicians here you will ever meet and is only in because Murdoch couldn't stand a female Labor leader or the proposed media regulation Gillard introduced.

Labor was going to legislate on same sex marriage and introduce an NBN (fast internet, movie downloads in seconds) and he will stop that because he wants to build more highways and stick to tradition. SIGHHHHH I don't think majority of Australians understand who they just voted in.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

What is Australia coming too? A Tony as PM, Port Power smashing Collingwood... ehhh.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Daltron

Latest Awards:

And he's cutting 4 billion from foreign aid. We will be the laughing stock of the International Community. God forbid we try to help developing countries.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Munex

I don't know much about this election, but from what I gathered over the past few days, I prefer Rudd. There's a great video of him speaking out in favour of gay marriage as a Christian man and I find it touching to see religion supporting modern views. Abbott doesn't seem too homophobic after reading the OP, though; his daughters are apparently in favour of it (or is that a ploy to help their daddy win).

With that said, I've heard a few people claim that both candidates are evil.
    moderator alert Image removed by Matts (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not have images in your signature which exceeds your size limit!

Tokens

Latest Awards:

The entire election is just a demonstration of the power of the media when 75% of it is controlled by Mr Murdoch.

Quote Originally Posted by -:Undertaker:- View Post
    Tony Abbott is ready to rule the Aussies
    I think you'll find that it's HM Elizabeth II who rules the Aussies.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

I don't think I've seen a single positive thing about Tony Abbott. He's essentially George Bush in a smaller country... the only good thing I can think of about him is that he isn't Julia Gillard
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Fantastic news that he has won. Now let's just hope he carries through everything he says he will.

Quote Originally Posted by Daltron View Post
    He just won.

I hate this country so much and the idiots who believe anything they read that Murdoch and Fairfax spit out into our media. He's the most sexist politicians here you will ever meet and is only in because Murdoch couldn't stand a female Labor leader or the proposed media regulation Gillard introduced.

Labor was going to legislate on same sex marriage and introduce an NBN (fast internet, movie downloads in seconds) and he will stop that because he wants to build more highways and stick to tradition. SIGHHHHH I don't think majority of Australians understand who they just voted in.
    Gay 'marriage' and faster internet are the most important issues facing Australia?

Maybe to young, idealistic people.......... but not to everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Daltron View Post
    And he's cutting 4 billion from foreign aid. We will be the laughing stock of the International Community. God forbid we try to help developing countries.
    Oh my god, can we swap Prime Ministers? Mr Cameron over here is increasing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Munex View Post
    I don't know much about this election, but from what I gathered over the past few days, I prefer Rudd. There's a great video of him speaking out in favour of gay marriage as a Christian man and I find it touching to see religion supporting modern views. Abbott doesn't seem too homophobic after reading the OP, though; his daughters are apparently in favour of it (or is that a ploy to help their daddy win).

With that said, I've heard a few people claim that both candidates are evil.
    Well then he's not a Christian is he.

But seriously, is gay 'marriage' the most IMPORTANT thing facing Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by Chippiewill View Post
    The entire election is just a demonstration of the power of the media when 75% of it is controlled by Mr Murdoch.
    What does that demonstrate? Murdoch supported Labour over here between 97 and 2009.

Personally, apart from his warmongering part, I quite like Murdoch - he was afterall the owner of newspapers and media stations that you do not have to buy (unlike the BBC) which helped wage the campaign against us joining the Euro at the same time the BBC were desperate to have us join it.

Quote Originally Posted by -Chippiewill
    I think you'll find that it's HM Elizabeth II who rules the Aussies.
    Haha I thought that too when I first read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast