HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Monitor

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zuth

Latest Awards:

Default New Monitor

Heya, I'm wanting to buy a new monitor for my PC, and I was wondering would a Scart to VGA lead work if I plugged the scart end into my freeview+ box and the VGA end into my monitor? Thanks for any help and I need to know pretty quick so I can order it or not +REP to any help.

moderator alert Thread moved here by Martin (Forum Super Moderator): From 'Designing & Development' as its more suited here.
    Last edited by Martin; 23-05-2012 at 05:07 PM.

RIP Grandad - Click here to see my Dads Subaru Impreza WRX STI in action!

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Depends. Not all monitors that accept VGA will like the kind of signal you get from SCART. Does your freeview+ box not provide any other outputs? SCART is pritty much obsolete now.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

You can now buy TVs which will accept scart and VGA/DVI whilst still being decent spec for use as a monitor. I'm personally using a samsung 23" TV as my second monitor so I can plug my xbox into it. Videos I play off my computer look much better on it than my main monitor as well.

That'll be a much better solution than a Scart to VGA.
    Last edited by Chippiewill; 23-05-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

If you do go down this route then be careful with what TV you buy. Most TVs do quite a bit of post-processing to the image (which why it may appear to look better) but this can introduce quite a bit of input lag. Try and get a TV that supports some kind of Game or ideally PC mode that disables most of the post processing on the TV.

n.b About the image appearing to look better - the TV most likely boosts the contrast/saturation to make it appear 'Wow!' but in reality it is highly likely that the colours being displayed are terribly inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippiewill View Post
    You can now buy TVs which will accept scart and VGA/DVI whilst still being decent spec for use as a monitor. I'm personally using a samsung 23" TV as my second monitor so I can plug my xbox into it. Videos I play off my computer look much better on it than my main monitor as well.

That'll be a much better solution than a Scart to VGA.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zuth

Latest Awards:

My Freeview+ box has scart and usb only, I dont really wona buy a TV as a monitor as I don't have that much to spend just yet. @Tomm; this is the monitor I'm thinking of getting:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-E2351VR-B...puters_title_2

---------- Post added 23-05-2012 at 05:48 PM ----------

This is the box:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DTI6021-25-T...7791668&sr=8-2

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Most likely won't work. Horizontal frequency of SCART is 15.xxx kHz (depending on region) but the specs list the monitor only accepting horizontal frequencies of 30-83kHz

Edit: Just to add, you most likely can get some converter box that will convert it but it will probability be more expensive than just buying a new freeview box

Quote Originally Posted by Zuth View Post
    My Freeview+ box has scart and usb only, I dont really wona buy a TV as a monitor as I don't have that much to spend just yet. @Tomm; this is the monitor I'm thinking of getting:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-E2351VR-B...puters_title_2

---------- Post added 23-05-2012 at 05:48 PM ----------

This is the box:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DTI6021-25-T...7791668&sr=8-2
    Last edited by Tomm; 23-05-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zuth

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
    Most likely won't work. Horizontal frequency of SCART is 15.xxx kHz (depending on region) but the specs list the monitor only accepting horizontal frequencies of 30-83kHz

Edit: Just to add, you most likely can get some converter box that will convert it but it will probability be more expensive than just buying a new freeview box
    What would happen if I tried it? Would it not fit?

Tokens

Latest Awards:

The monitor would just not display anything. According to the manual the monitor has a "out of range" error message, so you'll most likely see this.

If the monitor does not support the horizontal frequency then it will not be able to display it at all.

I am basing this on the specification published on LG's website actually being correct btw

Quote Originally Posted by Zuth View Post
    What would happen if I tried it? Would it not fit?

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zuth

Latest Awards:

The monitor would just not display anything. According to the manual the monitor has a "out of range" error message, so you'll most likely see this.

If the monitor does not support the horizontal frequency then it will not be able to display it at all.

I am basing this on the specification published on LG's website actually being correct btw
    Alright cheers, so there's no way I can make my freeview+ box show up on the monitor?

Tokens

Latest Awards:

If you do go down this route then be careful with what TV you buy. Most TVs do quite a bit of post-processing to the image (which why it may appear to look better) but this can introduce quite a bit of input lag. Try and get a TV that supports some kind of Game or ideally PC mode that disables most of the post processing on the TV.
    Most TVs with a DVI input use the input just like a monitor would and don't add any more post-processing. They're not dumb about this stuff.

n.b About the image appearing to look better - the TV most likely boosts the contrast/saturation to make it appear 'Wow!' but in reality it is highly likely that the colours being displayed are terribly inaccurate.
    It's not the settings, I've set all that up, the quality of the screen itself is better.

Also you can't just whack a Scart into a VGA port, it's like putting diesel into a petrol car. It's just not designed for that. The signals aren't compatible.
    Last edited by Chippiewill; 23-05-2012 at 05:11 PM.
    Chippiewill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast