HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Tokens
    Habbo
    Krazybethw

Latest Awards:

Default Poly-cystic Ovaries Syndrome (PCOS)

I've been wanting to write about this for a while but I have always found it hard to. Last year in July, I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovaries Syndrome. As I have always being maternal (Really Really maternal), this really affected me. I will start from the beginning and also tell you what the syndrome actually is.

I had really erratic and irregular periods for 2 years before being diagnosed with anything. This started when I stopped taking the pill. I was constantly worried about it and I went to the doctors about every 3 months. I also used to do pregnancy tests pretty much weekly. Whenever I went to the doctors I used to just get told, " There is nothing we can do until it's been 2 years". However, they would book me in for a blood test just to check my hormone levels (Which always came back fine). In fairness, I only ever saw the nurse practitioner. I regularly asked at my appointments if I could have polycystic ovaries as I had a few friends which had it and thought I wonder if I do. The nurse I saw was always quick to dismiss this and say well no, you cant have it. After about a year of seeing the nurse, I ended up breaking down on a phone call to her as I was getting fed and I just wanted to know what was wrong. All she said was I know this upsetting but you have to wait until its been 2 years.

Around 6 months after the last phone call with the nurse, I made an appointment and asked to see a doctor rather than the nurse. He straight away thought that it could be polycystic ovaries and referred me for an ultrasound appointment at the hospital. I had my ultrasound on the 9th July, 2 years and 2 months after I stopped taking the pill. In this time I had also been with my partner for over a year and we never used protection. My ultrasound scan showed that my right ovaries was slightly larger than my left and showed that I had multiple cysts. Therefore I was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries.

What is polycystic ovaries syndrome:
    Usually you have to have 2 out of 3 symptoms to be diagnosed. These are; Atleast 12 cysts develop in your ovaries, Hormone imbalance and You do not ovulate every month. In my case, I have cysts in my ovaries and I do not ovulate.

What causes polycystic ovaries syndrome:
    The cause is unknown. It is thought that it runs in families, however in my case this isn't true as no-one that I know has it in my family. People assume several factors play part and these include; Insulin resistance, luteinising hormone, weight and hereditary factors.

Is it common:
    It is quite common. It is thought that one in ten women have Polycystic ovaries.

Now here is the time for the side-effects of having Polycystic ovaries. Since I found out that I have it, I have noticed the side affects more. These are; period problems, fertility problems, excess hair growth, thinning of the scalp hair, acne. Other include weight gain and depression.

In my experience I have most of the symptoms except acne. This condition effects me so much. I am scared to leave my house alone as I worry people look at me. This is because I have slight bald patches in my hair. I notice at times that I have dark hairs on my chin. I have always been overweight. Me and my partner have been together for 2 years. As I said above we have never used protection, So I clearly have fertility issues as my partner has been checked and he is ok.

There is also no treatment for Polycystic ovaries. There is just treatment for the symptoms. Online it says that one thing doctors will do is try to help you lose weight. In my experience, they have never even suggested it. I just got told to look online to understand the condition better. Woman who have Polycystic ovaries also have more risk of miscarriages and still births. And its is more likely that if you have polycystic ovaries that if you have a daughter, she is also more likely to have it.

Do you have Polycystic ovaries? What has your experience been like? Do you have period problems which worry you? Have you asked your doctor if you could be tested for Polycystic ovaries?

If you want more in depth information on the condition click here. This is the website in which my doctor recommended to me. Also If you want to discuss anything in private about it, just send me a PM.
    Last edited by Krazybethw; 17-02-2015 at 01:47 PM.

welshcake is offline Help Desk Assistant Manager
    HabboxLive Senior DJ (DJ welshcake)
    Rare Values Staff
    Events Organiser

Tokens
    Habbo
    welshcake

Latest Awards:

Oh wow, I actually have my ultrasound Friday.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Krazybethw

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by welshcake View Post
    Oh wow, I actually have my ultrasound Friday.
    Oh, That is so strange. If you do have it, Hopefully you will take it better than me. As I am so maternal, found it really really hard. I cry about it alot. Me and my partner are trying for a baby and It is just the bane of my life.

welshcake is offline Help Desk Assistant Manager
    HabboxLive Senior DJ (DJ welshcake)
    Rare Values Staff
    Events Organiser

Tokens
    Habbo
    welshcake

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Krazybethw View Post
    Oh, That is so strange. If you do have it, Hopefully you will take it better than me. As I am so maternal, found it really really hard. I cry about it alot. Me and my partner are trying for a baby and It is just the bane of my life.
    I am v nervous haha.
    I haven't had a period for about 200202 years so I have always realised that it would be hard for me to have a baby so that won't come as much of a shock really.

I wish you well with it though.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Krazybethw

Latest Awards:

I am v nervous haha.
    I haven't had a period for about 200202 years so I have always realised that it would be hard for me to have a baby so that won't come as much of a shock really.

I was nervous. I was sat in the hospital and it was awful. All this pregnant women and that. I always thought i might never have babies. If you need anyone to talk to about it, im here! Also goodluck!

Tokens
    Habbo
    IzzyUhh

Latest Awards:

My mum used to have this I believe before her hysterectomy, and I have a lot of trouble with my periods (eh) and she thinks it could be passed like down to me. She had a few other implications with stuff like with fallopian tubes.
    I love food

Tokens
    Habbo
    Krazybethw

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyUhh View Post
    My mum used to have this I believe before her hysterectomy, and I have a lot of trouble with my periods (eh) and she thinks it could be passed like down to me. She had a few other implications with stuff like with fallopian tubes.
    It is more likely that you could have it as your mum had it. If your worried just ask your doctor and they should just let you get tested.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Empired

Latest Awards:

I am v nervous haha.

This is the same with me. I tried to post earlier but my internet was being a right ***** and wouldn't let me do anything.

I am quite concerned as I know my mother had ovarian cysts and has recently been battling with ovarian cancer so that's worrying for me. My periods have always been very heavy and last either AGES (10 days+) or don't come at all so the guy at the hospital (not even going to attempt the name of his role) told me to stay on the pill 24/7 until I'm older.