HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Tokens
    Habbo
    joshua06860

Default [Tutorial][PHP] An introduction to OOP.

Hey guys,

Just here to give a quick intro into PHP OOP (Object-Oriented Programming).
    Now, a way I like to look at this is by using a person as an example.
    Every person is a human being. So, if we were using PHP to create humans (though, I would hope we weren't created by PHP) I may have a class called Human - which may look something like this:-

PHP Code:
    <?php        namespace GodOnly;        class Human{                    }    ?>
    Now, inside the Human class I will probably have a few different functions. One for creating all the necessary things the human needs to live (heart etc...).
    So let's define a few of those.

PHP Code:
    <?php namespace GodOnly;        class Human{                        function createHair(){ /* an awesome god-like function to create hair */ }                        function createEyes(){ /* an awesome god-like function to create eyes */ }                        function createBrain(){ /* an awesome god-like function to create brains */ }                        /* etc... */        }    ?>
    Okay! Great! I've got my class. How do I use it?
    Well, first of all you need to create an instance of that class and assign it to a variable.
    Um, what? Just do as I do below (in this example I include my class into the file in which I want to use those functions).

PHP Code:
    <?php        require_once("awesome_god_like_human_maker.php");        /* some more god-like code created by a god-like person (me) */                $human_maker = new \GodOnly\Human(); //Create a new instance of our class        $human_maker->createBrain(); //Initiate our awesome brain-making function!    ?>
    Now, if we're going to be creating thousands of humans with different attributes we're not going to want to go through this code over and over again just
    to change a few things like eye color, hair color and intellect. Well, it's a bloody good job we don't have to because we can pass information to those functions just as we would in procedural.

PHP Code:
    <?php        require_once("awesome_god_like_human_maker.php");        /* some more god-like code created by a god-like person (me) */                $human_maker = new \GodOnly\Human();        $human_maker->createBrain(98); //Here I've passed along an expected IQ score to that brain.    ?>
    Changes to "awesome_god_like_human_maker.php":
    function createBrain($iq_score){ /* $iq_score will equal whatever we pass to it when we call that function */ }

Tokens
    Habbo
    Yet

Latest Awards:

Instructions were not clear enough, i got my **** stuck in the toaster.

moderator alert Edited by e5 (Forum Super Moderator) - Please do not post pointessly.
    Last edited by e5; 10-09-2014 at 05:27 AM.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Interesting tutorial, it's a little hard to follow and I suspect only those who already understand OOP will understand the tutorial. A Very large critique from me is that without the use of line-breaks the code is completely incomprehensible. Cool none the less.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens
    Habbo
    joshua06860

Sorry about that, the PHP tags seem to have broken my line breaks and tabs.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I agree with Chippiewill, I was going to say the same things.
    It needs a bit more work, perhaps a proper introduction, then the tutorial, then a small conclusion just to give it some structure. It doesn't really explain what OOP is and why it's used and whatnot, but I like the way it's written and this forum could do with some more tutorials and other things to help beginners, so I like it

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I think its great that your contributing content to the community but as people have said the structure of the formatting kind of knocks it off a little. Having said that I've gotta give it to you that it's probably the simplest way I've seen OOP with PHP explained a lot of people seem to make out that its hard to understand.