HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tokens
    Habbo
    djclune

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by -:Undertaker:- View Post
    Of course he doesn't understand what racism is, hence why he throws it around like confetti whenever he can. He's just another self-hating soppy westerner who is terrified of causing offence. Ironically, the complaints of offence caused by in large usually come from the likes of The Don and white liberal politicians rather than the supposed discriminated against groups anyway.

The truth is that these are crude costumes (not professional) and they seek to replicate common body features of black people: that they have larger lips than whites do. Just as if you wanted to dress up as a Han Chinaman you'd seek to have your eyes made smaller, or as a Red Indian your skin coloured in a reddish tint. That's not discrimination or offence, that's just a ******* costume lmao. The quote in my signature is very apt if you ask me.
    Yes because i'm totally white. You're a moron Dan and the only person who trods along this forum sprouting the race card all the time is you when you say 'waycist' in your snide little comments to downplay whatever xenophobic **** you're talking about on that particular day.
    That's when Ron vanished, came back speaking Spanish
    Lavish habits, two rings, twenty carats

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Yes because i'm totally white. You're a moron Dan and the only person who trods along this forum sprouting the race card all the time is you when you say 'waycist' in your snide little comments to downplay whatever xenophobic **** you're talking about on that particular day.
    Yeah yeah sure I do.

Debate about immigration, who makes it about race? You do.
    An innocent Dutch tradition, who pulls out the race card? You do.

You've even managed to pull out the xenophobia card now lmao. Well done.

Tokens
    Habbo
    djclune

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by -:Undertaker:- View Post
    Yeah yeah sure I do.

Debate about immigration, who makes it about race? You do.
    An innocent Dutch tradition, who pulls out the race card? You do.

You've even managed to pull out the xenophobia card now lmao. Well done.
    IN A DEBATE ABOUT RACISM MADE BY ANOTHER USER. Are you for real? get a grip

Tokens
    Habbo
    djclune

Latest Awards:

Tokens

The word racism sure gets thrown around a lot. Is this custom intended to be racist? I don't think so. Is the average dutch citizen who celebrates it a racist? I don't think so either. That, however, doesn't mean people can't be offended by and subjected to discrimination because of it. The real question is whether the problem should be dealt with on every instance that this might occur (which is impossible) or on a more basic level, in this case by changing the tradition.

In Sweden we have a traditional Christmas song about a "gingerbread man from the gingerbread land". One year there was an incident in a school in which an immigrant kid was bullied and the bullies used terms such as "gingerbread man" to emphasize that he was foreign. The school responded by banning the song from being sung at the last day of term. This naturally created a public outrage and a debate regarding whether the song is racist or not, which it clearly isn't. Does that mean it was wrong to ban it? No.

SO, just because something isn't racist in itself doesn't mean it can't be used as such. In the case of Zwarte Piet, which undoubtedly has upset a lot of people belonging to a group that is already underprivileged by being a minority, i personally can't see how keeping such a tradition is defendable. This, however, is of course very subjective. How much is the integrity and dignity of a few people worth compared to a custom that's become completely integrated in the dutch culture?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234