HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Default Is it worth going to university anymore for the average joe?

Is it worth going to university anymore for the average joe?

Under the Conservative government of the 1990s and Labour government of the 2000s, universities in the United Kingdom saw a huge expansion with many former polytechnical colleges becoming many of the universities we know today. With this came a huge increase in the number of young people going to university, which reached the 50% point in the late 2000s. In addition and despite increases in tuition fees, university numbers have continued to rise/stayed stable and show no sign of decline.

But it this right? Many would argue that anything other than red brick universities and a few others aren't worthy of the name of a university, and that the numbers of people leaving with degrees as well as the types of degree are making degrees pretty much worthless to employers. On the other hand, one can argue that with the increase in numbers going it's created a knock-on effect where by it is forcing more and more people to feel like they have to also go to university to compete in the workplace.

There are plenty of nifty prizes to be won within this forum and we have some new awards and prizes to be won in this forum and beyond. Focus on putting a good argument forward, try to be controversial and you'll be rewarded!
    The debate is open to you.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Empired

Latest Awards:

No. I'll be applying to Uni this year but if I don't get into an "aspirational" one then I won't be going. No point in wasting at least 3 years of my life, getting into debt, and even then only having less than a 50% chance of getting a job once I'm out. No point at all.

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

ye its r8 gd
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zak

Latest Awards:

I'm always going to be in favour of universities because employers use qualifications as a way of screening their applicants and a lot of jobs require a degree as a prerequisite to get an interview

I would have not got my job without my degree so yes it is worth it

Tokens

Latest Awards:

A degree is only half of the University experience. The other half is made up of the actual social experience, personal development, career development, amongst other things. Going to University purely for a degree does not exist anymore, people now go about volunteering, work placements inside and out of the University, learning new cultures or new areas of interest on top of their degree.

I find many who go to University develop a greater understanding of society, culture and politics which develops within University, albeit in a warped way which isn't really reflective of what actual society, culture and politics is.

Postgraduate studies are now what separate the different levels of academic studies. Undergraduate study comes mixed with the personal development, career etc side, while postgraduate study focuses more on and shows future employers, that you are committed to a certain subject area.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Glitzen

Latest Awards:

I have two sides to this argument.

YES: In my opinion, it really is about the experience of going to Uni and "seeing what all the fuss is about" - you meet new people, gain some form of independence and hopefully you'll end up with a degree or some kind of independence. I'm currently doing a University degree in journalism, however I'm not based at a uni and I work at BBC Radio Nottingham and my work is submitted online, so I'm not getting into the debt of people who do actually go to one.

NO: I've got so many friends I went to school with who have gone to uni, done their 2 or 3 years, ended up in thousands of pounds worth of debt and ended up working in a dead-end job. Unless you know you're going into a job you excel in I feel it could be a waste of time and obviously a huge waste of money.

It's quite a difficult decision actually because I'd of loved to of lived in halls and experienced the day-to-day life of a uni student, but I'm glad I've gone straight into a job with my degree.
    all i care about is laura prepon & cats.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Jetcutie

Latest Awards:

Mhmm, I was thinking of going to university but I don't feel like going for 3-5 years of my life, even though university may be better and student loans are the hardest thing to keep on top of I will be doing a level 4 IT Apprentiship instead.
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzsssssaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Tokens
    Habbo
    djclune

Latest Awards:

Worthwhile financially it depends on the degree. If you plan on getting a degree in 19th Century Russian Agriculture then don't expect to be paying off your student loans any time soon. Obviously if you can afford it and you're not worried about job prospects in a relevant field then study whatever you want, but if you plan on getting a job in a field relevant to your degree and expect to earn a decent amount then you're gonna need to be sensible about what degree you choose to pursue.
    Last edited by The Don; 05-07-2015 at 09:19 PM.
    That's when Ron vanished, came back speaking Spanish
    Lavish habits, two rings, twenty carats

Tokens
    Habbo
    Empired

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Jetcutie View Post
    Mhmm, I was thinking of going to university but I don't feel like going for 3-5 years of my life, even though university may be better and student loans are the hardest thing to keep on top of I will be doing a level 4 IT Apprentiship instead.
    Same that's my problem as well. I just don't really think I'm passionate about anything enough to want to spend at least 3 years of my life studying it. And I don't think uni is the right place for people who aren't absolutely sure about what to study.