HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Empired

Latest Awards:

Personally I think six weeks is just right. I absolutely hated school and sixth form was only marginally better and looking forward to summer was the only thing that kept me going from the beginning of the spring term to the start of the summer holidays.

Plus, breaking the six weeks into three blocks of two or two blocks of three is worse for both students and teachers I think. Ever since Year 9 or so I've received work every single holiday and half term to do in my own time (which I think most people agree is fairly standard) and three extra holidays would just mean I'm suddenly getting three times the amount of work to do, and teachers are getting three times the amount of marking.

(Edit: Black team)

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by dbgtz View Post
    As far as I can tell, teachers do, for the most part, get as much time off as anyone else. The 6 weeks summer holiday is probably the only time they actually get off, since they seem to prep/mark work in the smaller 1 or 2 week holidays (and probably do a bit in that 6 weeks to be fair). They also tend to work longer hours, especially when there's special events on like open days and parents evenings. I think you may be underestimating what a teacher does, but @Kardan; and @Charz777; might have better insight on this since what I said is pretty much speculation.
    During this 'summer holiday' I need to plan the first months worth of lessons for all my classes, so this is definitely not time off.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Charz777

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by dbgtz View Post
    As far as I can tell, teachers do, for the most part, get as much time off as anyone else. The 6 weeks summer holiday is probably the only time they actually get off, since they seem to prep/mark work in the smaller 1 or 2 week holidays (and probably do a bit in that 6 weeks to be fair). They also tend to work longer hours, especially when there's special events on like open days and parents evenings. I think you may be underestimating what a teacher does, but @Kardan; and @Charz777; might have better insight on this since what I said is pretty much speculation.
    During term time we work really long hours. I generally work 8am to 4pm, but can finish as late as 6 for meetings and 9 for parents' evenings and events. And 8-4 doesn't seem long hours to someone who does shift work (I used to, and that would be normal), but when I get home I will eat my dinner then spend until around 9 or 10pm every night doing prep as well as the majority of the weekend.

I'm starting to believe school holidays are for the teachers and not the kids, the kids don't need that long off. The only thing I can say from my own childhood was that having 6 weeks to pick from my parents were usually able to find 2 weeks that they could both get off work at the same time so we could go on holiday.

For myself and @Kardan; we are in the trickiest stage where prep takes up much more time as you are slow at first and have no resources to fall back on so with half-term weeks I will spend almost all of that planning. Christmas and Easter we get 2 weeks so I will try to give myself 5 days to a full week off if I can and this summer I went away so I've only been doing prep this last week. But the summer has been the only real stopping point I've had since September and I've really needed it.

We have to spend a couple of weeks getting ahead because 4-6 free hours a week is not enough to plan 20 lessons, if you don't get ahead you fall behind very easily because you simply have no free time.

It can be really horrible and frustrating but it's supposed to get easier

Back on topic, the holidays are too long for kids, probably too long for parents, but too short for teachers.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Charz777 View Post
    School holidays are too long for children at any age. Even with the challenges of A-levels I never used my summer effectively. I would cram for the last week before going back to make sure I could remember my stuff.

I can't comment as a parent but as a teacher the summer hasn't been long enough. I was lucky enough to go on vacation for 26 days in the USA, and travelling is no relaxing holiday- I got back completely exhausted. And yes, of course I understand it was my decision to go, but it has taken me 6 days to sort out my jet lag and get to a position where I'm feeling human, I wouldn't say relaxed but certainly not stressed like when I'm at work. I now have to get a ridiculous amount of stuff ready for school starting with a brand new curriculum and new classes in just over a week. I can safely say my vacations in the future are going to be a week or two relaxing on a beach or cruise ship to recharge and then getting some proper work done before term starts!
    Most jobs can't get 32 days off in a row for a holiday, so yeah, you made the decision as you say - shouldn't then reference that as a need for six week holidays

I was always lucky to get to spend most of my summer holidays overseas, but yes, British summer holidays are too long (although other countries get considerably longer in some cases). I believe one month would be enough; other countries have long summer holidays due to the heat; we don't have that excuse.

Tokens
    Habbo
    JennyJukes

Latest Awards:

Final results:

Third place with 35 points: @dbgtz; (red team)
    Second place with 65 points: @!:random!:!; (green team)
    First place with 100 points: @Matt; (black team)

I'll get your points sorted for you, thanks for contributing everyone

pigged 25/08/2019

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12