HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Tokens
    Habbo
    JennyJukes

Latest Awards:

Default Valentine's Day - Romantic or Revolting?

With Valentine's Day approaching (this Sunday for those of you who pick up something last minute *hint hint @scottish;*), this debate never fails to come up!

Do you think Valentine's Day is overrated? A waste of time? A waste of money? A materialistic affair that simply benefits companies?
    Or perhaps you find it romantic, a holiday which gives shy people the chance to profress their secret love!

I personally have always loved Valentine's Day - except perhaps the time I was dumped before it and cried into my ice cream that it was a "overrated materialistic holiday anyway!".. Or that time the guy I fancied when I was 11 ripped up my Valentine's card... Now I love the day, seeing happy couples together admist the negativity we usually experience every other day. Even if it means the cinema and your favourite restaurant will be packed with kiddywinkles taking their crush out and getting their first kissove:.

One problem myself and others have however, is the fact the holiday has become, to some, a competition of who can get the most expensive gifts. I remember seeing girls post on Facebook one year with their ugg boots and the next with their Pandora bracelets.... Not at all jealous of course, but shouldn't Valentine's Day be about sharing your love, not your money? My partner and myself have agreed to only buy gifts that are related to love (washing the dishes for a change would count @scottish; ) and this year we are going for lunch together so I'm personally excited!!

What about yourselves? Anyone change their mind on the holiday? Did that come after a relationship change?

The debate is now up to you! Good contributions will be rewarded with reputation throughout the thread and the member who makes the best contributions throughout the month will win the Debater of the Month award, 2 weeks VIP, as well as 250 tokens. Creating interesting member debates will also win reputation points
    Last edited by buttons; 08-02-2016 at 08:02 PM.

pigged 25/08/2019

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by buttons View Post
    Do you think Valentine's Day is overrated? A waste of time? A waste of money? A materialistic affair that simply benefits companies?
    Or perhaps you find it romantic, a holiday which gives shy people the chance to profress their secret love!

All of the above it's definitely a daft thing driven by sales but if people enjoy it that much then I don't see it as a bad thing - you don't have to join in if it's not your cup of tea just like anything else in life, and even if it is cheesy I don't think there's anything wrong with showing people that you care about them and having fun with it
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens

Latest Awards:

lmaooo you didn't even make this thread for the debate did you? you just wanted to give scott some ideas

I love Valentines Day. True I have been single for most years but I love any holiday that allows you to be super cheesy and get away with it. February does become the worst month to break up with someone because of it though. My brother once got dumped straight after handing the present over (primary school though so it didn't do too much major damage). She refused to give the gift back.

I like the concept of valentines day but i feel its been soured by people putting a price on love and stuff I mean I work in a supermarket and its super busy around this time of year and people end up becoming frustrated and kicking off with the staff because they can't get that perfect present.

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

Compared to other times of year, it definitely is the least materialistic. I'm pretty sure Easter eggs went on sale before any major push for Valentines was made (bloody Kinder Easter eggs sold out instantly :/).
    It is materialistic at the end of the day (welcome to capitalism), but how much so depends on the people who choose to celebrate it.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

If you need an excuse to show your partner some love/appreciation then your relationship is doomed to failure.