PDA

View Full Version : Forums

Homesrfan
31-10-2004, 03:14 AM
Ahh! Please move this to Website designing! Sorry!
Hi! I was bored so I decided to make a short little Forum thing... :p

What exactly is a forum?
What you are viewing right now is a forum! It is a very affective tool to add to your site to let viewers chat with each other! They are usually more affective then Chatrooms!

What are the types of forums?
There are 4 Major types of forums!
Invision Board - InvisionPowerBoard.com
phpBB - phpBB.com
Ikonboard - IkonBoard.tk
VBulletin - VBulletin.com

What are the best boards?
VBulletin is probably the best forum to use! It has the most features, although Invision Board is very good for some other reasons!

Invision Board is the second best board to use! It is probably the best to some people! Why? There are tons of free stuff you can add to your site! Skins, mods, hacks, and more! There are also a ton of extra features! You can view the newest version (Invision Power Board 2.0) at my site: Habboect.tk
Good FREE Resources for IPB:
www.invisionize.com
www.invisionskins.com

IkonBoard is a little known but a GREAT board to use! It is generally an easy board to use for your site! I would review www.IkonBoard.com!

phpBB is probably the worst board just because there are not a lot of features you can use! You probably want to use this board if you are not very experienced with Forums!

Are these boards free?
Invision used to be a free board until they recently put a price on them!
phpBB is a free board.
vBulletin is not a free board! Fairly expensive!
IkonBoard is also a free board!

I want to add a board to my site but I dont know PHP Language!
No need to worry! There are TONS of Free forum hosts!
Here are a few!
Invision:
www.bbfree.com
www.ipbfree.com
www.forumer.com
www.invisionfree.com
phpBB:
www.aloofforums.com

There are a ton of other Forum Softwares out there!

Moved by ReviewDude (Forum Moderator) from 'Show Off Your Website'.

Max
31-10-2004, 08:29 AM
Hey thats very handy..i want to make a forum :p dont no why but i want too
thnx, thats handy

Mentor
31-10-2004, 11:08 AM
what about http://invisionfree.com/ they also are a good host for a free invisonforum. plus it has simplifed fetures thats make somthings alot easyer, also theres apprntly going to be an update to ibp 2.0 evennthogh i have no idea how the lisencing will work.

iRoss
31-10-2004, 01:24 PM
i think that the phpfree 1 i think thats the 1 :s has a rubbish cp and invision free has an amazing 1! :eusa_clap

Homesrfan
31-10-2004, 03:08 PM
what about http://invisionfree.com/ they also are a good host for a free invisonforum. plus it has simplifed fetures thats make somthings alot easyer, also theres apprntly going to be an update to ibp 2.0 evennthogh i have no idea how the lisencing will work.

How could I forget about that one! Thanks I will add it!

-JT-
03-11-2004, 01:00 AM
i disagree with you all! phpbb is by far the best type of forum on the web. the CP has nothing to do with the forum for two reasons

1. The users of the forum dont see it
2. You only need it to set up your forum

Now what you have torealise is that how many fetures a board has to offer is no up point. After all you would like to visit a forum which is esy to use and doesnt offer special packages and option etc as this can confuze people who are new to forums. Also would you like to see people with better things than you on an on-line comunty just because they have more money?

Homesrfan
04-11-2004, 12:03 AM
Well I'm dont use phpBB because I'm not new...

Invision Board is much better
Your probably one of the only people that think phpBB is better than Invision Baord

aslo...its not just the CP thats bad! Invision Board just has many more features, such as putting your name in colors and spiffy stuff like that! :eusa_clap

Everyone has an opinion...

-JT-
05-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Dude, trust me, i'm not new. Invision powerboards are more for a site where the main feature is the forum. (www.undergroundscene.co.uk). If you use phpbb then you probably own a personal web site (www.derrenbrown.com) and have no need for extra featres. Where as this forum, which is vbullitin there is money to be made so you will obviously try to sell things. But phpbb does the job fine. It is also better if you have no time to edit css or make graphics to spice your board up!

Homesrfan
05-11-2004, 09:11 PM
True...
Like my website is mainly intended for a forum (habboect.tk)

akaPenguin
24-11-2004, 06:55 PM
This is mainly an advertising scheme, Matt. You've said habboect.tk five times in the thread so far. And some how you'll interpret it into your next post also. You just watch.

;)

Madguy
24-04-2009, 01:38 PM
http://www.forumotion.com also provide a free forum hosting service, based off a simplied version of Invision Power Board 1.3, they are recommended for those looking to not spend a time and still have a customizable online community.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!