PDA

View Full Version : child abuse

Mendonky
27-11-2004, 04:25 PM
tooclose posted a very good thread earlier today, which got mew thinking, when does a little smack given to a child by their parents, become child abuse. we talked aboiut this in my english class briefly, but it is not that i realy go back and think about it.

do u agree with hitting children as a punishment? and when does it become child abuse?

too see the origional thread by tooclose that origionally goit me thinking Click here (http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=13304)

Moved to new Debate forum, this seems like a debate :)- Butcher11

Mentor
27-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Now thats a realy hard question.I d say its when the reason is whenist not for the best intentiosn for teh child, but to acatly hurt them, and taking there anger out. Athogh this acvcnot always be the case its a realy diffacult question ? :/

Mendonky
27-11-2004, 04:41 PM
you see, some parents insist on beating their children to get a point across that something is wrong, as the child cannot communicate by means of verbal talk, but doen;t that teach the child that violence is the right way to deal with a situation?

Concentric
27-11-2004, 04:53 PM
i think that is to do with age, a very young child will not think about violence in that way, but an older child may well do.

miss-t
27-11-2004, 04:58 PM
do u agree with hitting children as a punishment? and when does it become child abuse?

It has been said that it only counts as child abuse when the child is left with a bruse.
personaly i think it should be banned and your not allowed to hit your children!
ive been hit b4 and trust me it hurts!
:(

Concentric
27-11-2004, 04:59 PM
yes but being hit is not necessarily child abuse, many parents smack their children to put them in line, and sometimes its a good thing.

Mendonky
27-11-2004, 05:05 PM
mayb it is slightly neccisairy when the child has no understanding of verbal language but some parents automaticaly hit their children for domestic problems eg. being too noisy, making a mess etc, i belive that is not right.

as for the situation where a bruise if left behind, some children even at an early age do not bruise easily at all, i think the law should be more specifies in their definition of child abuse

Butcher11
28-11-2004, 03:10 AM
Younger children would be more sensible to violence by being hit, because at least older kids know it's wrong. You should never hit your child,
:eusa_naug

The only thing I'd agree with is when say they reach out to steal something and a tiny*non hurting* slap on the wrist. Any other hitting should be against the law.

Mendonky
28-11-2004, 03:18 AM
thats what i meant. a tap on the wrist is nessicairy to give a strong, firm message, but when it is used too often, then the child either ignores it, or begins to think that violence is perfectly ok, which it isn't. some oarents who slap their children around the face etc are simply sick in the head if u ask me. it should be used as a LAST RESORT AND A LAST RESORT ONLY.

Butcher11
28-11-2004, 03:23 AM
But Concentric, in what ways would it be good? Yes, it would temporarily put them in order, but what happens if it occurs all the time. it's thought rapist and violence traits run in families, why pass it on by hitting your children?

SundayPaper
28-11-2004, 05:28 AM
i think that spanking the kid on the butt not very hard but to teach them not to do it again is ok.
but shaking the POOP out of them and smacking them and hiting them with belts giving them welts that is child abbuse :eusa_thin

Mr.Kylee
28-11-2004, 09:03 AM
Talking is the key for any gd relationship

Fingerboots
28-11-2004, 10:36 PM
I think when your parents give you a slap or something for misbehaving, it is for the best. Being shouted at doesn't always work for some children.. It depends how and why you hit the child, which would be classes as Child Abuse.

Moose
29-11-2004, 05:03 AM
Child abuse can also hurt the adult too, if it goes on, the child, as it grows and is still physically punished grows anger inside, and when finally, all the pressure inside explodes causing the (grown up) child to do something to the parent.

So i think child abuse is wrong.

Being hit or a week of grounding?

Convictions
29-11-2004, 06:46 AM
well , i'd sooner have a hit than a week of grounding , a hit only hurts for a while , whereas grounding is borin'

Dansk
29-11-2004, 09:16 AM
It has been said that it only counts as child abuse when the child is left with a bruse.
personaly i think it should be banned and your not allowed to hit your children!
ive been hit b4 and trust me it hurts!
:(

What do you mean by banned? You can't temporarely ban child abuse.
To make it simple: Child abuse is illegal. - But I don't really care. My parents are nice to me.

Mendonky
29-11-2004, 07:36 PM
thats not fair danks, you cannot be like that, only caring about ur own life. every day there are children abused, aqnd there are those of us that are trying to help. but the fact is, sometimes its not the parents abusing the child, ever heard of a "rougue baby sitter"? these are people who work as babysitters and abuse the child, and make excuses that the child "fell" or "bumped their head". these excuses are also used by the parents that abuse their child. this is sickening.

AvengeX
29-11-2004, 07:43 PM
If I was a father I'd use smacking a kid the last resort if they were very badly behaved. I was smacked as a little kid, and it was for the most stupid things. It damages their self esteem, but when physical punishment is used at the right times, I would say it's quite effective. Got me pretty well behaved.. so hmm..

Butcher11
29-11-2004, 08:11 PM
I'm against all hitting. And especially spanking, where kids are taught not to touch others people butts. That just throws away the concept of leaving people's bodies alone.

Parents who sexually abuse their children should get the death penalty :@ :@

Mendonky
29-11-2004, 08:16 PM
If I was a father I'd use smacking a kid the last resort if they were very badly behaved. I was smacked as a little kid, and it was for the most stupid things. It damages their self esteem, but when physical punishment is used at the right times, I would say it's quite effective. Got me pretty well behaved.. so hmm..
but this does not answer when does punishment become child abuse, does it?

Pulchritudinous
29-11-2004, 08:30 PM
I think most of us have had more than a smack before, and when I was younger I'd fear my parents, I don't know whether this is a good or bad thing, it make you stop being 'naughty', but it also makes you real upset, I think it should be banned.

Mendonky
29-11-2004, 09:00 PM
ok, to be honest i would say thats a bad thing. if u fear you parents, that will cause further problems in life. ur parents should be the people you love most in life, its not right to fear them, how can you talk to them about problems knowing that they mght fly off the handel and start hitting you?

GommeInc
29-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Abusing children is wrong and sometimes they are sexually abused!

I mainly think people who abuse children are pedophiles.

Ryo976
29-11-2004, 09:26 PM
I personally think its right to hit a child for them to get the concept , whatever the reason may be. Although I have been child abused before when I was young I still think it was right to hit me In some cases. How hard you hit them is the real question. So what is that thin red line that we all seek? Well thats all up to the government. But think about it if we didnt have a government to guide us and let us do whatever we want to our children? Unfortunately for most of you It is not frowned upon to hit a child. Maybe by younger folk like most of you don't like it but i believe its neccesary for a child to learn the lesson. But i do believe that it should be talked out verbally first BEFORE you resort to violence. Well that's this old dogs' opinion. Well if you dont wanna be hit just dont do anything wrong! Plain and simple. :D

GommeInc
29-11-2004, 09:28 PM
We're talking about kicks, punching, winding, bruising and rarely stabbing here. These are the serious child abusing things.

G-flow
29-11-2004, 09:29 PM
Come on! a full grown adult hitting a child! Thats loony to me! I mean, Size difference! I think it is completely wrong and no parent should do it! Think of a simpler way such as banning them from doing something or grounding them or sumthin. I have never been hit just to say :eusa_naug Its worng to hit children :eusa_naug :eusa_naug

Dansk
29-11-2004, 09:33 PM
thats not fair danks, you cannot be like that, only caring about ur own life. every day there are children abused, aqnd there are those of us that are trying to help. but the fact is, sometimes its not the parents abusing the child, ever heard of a "rougue baby sitter"? these are people who work as babysitters and abuse the child, and make excuses that the child "fell" or "bumped their head". these excuses are also used by the parents that abuse their child. this is sickening.

That's Dansk, not Danks.

I'm not saying anything about the morals in child abuse. It's just something I don't think about. So I don't really care.

GommeInc
29-11-2004, 09:34 PM
I havent, just a simple slap. If I was that adult or parent, I would look that son or daughter of mine in the eyes and most likely break down or grab hold of her/him before it was to late to stop myself, I would just calmly say 'Go to bed please <insert name here>

Dansk
29-11-2004, 09:34 PM
I think most of us have had more than a smack before, and when I was younger I'd fear my parents, I don't know whether this is a good or bad thing, it make you stop being 'naughty', but it also makes you real upset, I think it should be banned.

IT IS NOT BANNED! IT IS ILLEGAL!
It's against the law! Simple as that! Don't use that stupid banned phrase.

Ryo976
29-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Gomme but sometimes they dont do what you ask so what are you supposed to do then? You tell me :)

GommeInc
29-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Banned means temporarily sometimes, it was made illegal a year or something wasnt it, maybe longer or shorter.

Dansk
29-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Banned means temporarily sometimes, it was made illegal a year or something wasnt it, maybe longer or shorter.

Child abuse has never been temporarely banned. This isen't Habbo.

GommeInc
29-11-2004, 09:51 PM
You need to read further up, she said banned and it made it sound like habbo lol! When was it made illegal no questions asked?

Pulchritudinous
01-12-2004, 05:08 PM
IT IS NOT BANNED! IT IS ILLEGAL!
It's against the law! Simple as that! Don't use that stupid banned phrase.
alrite calm it

Ciaran
01-12-2004, 05:22 PM
Come on! a full grown adult hitting a child! Thats loony to me! I mean, Size difference! I think it is completely wrong and no parent should do it! Think of a simpler way such as banning them from doing something or grounding them or sumthin. I have never been hit just to say :eusa_naug Its worng to hit children :eusa_naug :eusa_naug
size?? that doesnt matter im only 13 and im 6ft that doesnt give me the right to hit a child if thats what u mean....?

ideabox
01-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Lol 6FT?!?
Yeah I was abused for a very short while but only small hittings but I grew with it. It was only a hit in the arm or a slap around the face or a ruler on the wrist but nothing reall outragous.
Extream child abuse is wrong and If it was me who saw them I would string them up by there *you know what* and whack them good and hard! Like at my old school *soon* Punch there gut till they bleed dark blood.
It makes me angry.

Dansk
01-12-2004, 07:40 PM
size?? that doesnt matter im only 13 and im 6ft that doesnt give me the right to hit a child if thats what u mean....?

.. ***. So you're tall? Do you think we're impressed? I'm 16 and higher than you. WOHAHAHAH OMFG!!

:Illusion - Stick to the topic and don't be rude to any other members.

Pulchritudinous
01-12-2004, 07:43 PM
I dont fink he woz tryin 2 sho off

Dansk
01-12-2004, 07:44 PM
I dont fink he woz tryin 2 sho off

Of course it is. He might be taller than his father. But his father can kick his ***.

Edit- Do not swear it's againbst the forum rules- Butch

Mendonky
01-12-2004, 07:47 PM
.. ***. So you're tall? Do you think we're impressed? I'm 16 and higher than you. WOHAHAHAH OMFG!!

dansk, he wsasn;t trying to show off, so plz calm down, and respect other people's posts. he was trying to point out that size doesn' matter, that the child could be realy tall, but still only be realy young, and emotionally immature.

Butcher11
02-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Closing, a great discussion but getting out of hand

G-flow
02-12-2004, 08:25 PM
I agree. People are taking this too far. child abuse is wrong in my eyes and thats final lol!

Ciaran
02-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Im really sorry i didnt mean to show off i was making an example. im sorry if i offended anyone

Kaz..
02-12-2004, 09:29 PM
Like Some People Have Already Said, Some Parents Think That Violence And Harm Sorts Out Probs. Personally I think It's Unnecessary. If The Kid's Done Something Wrong He/She Isn't Gonna Learn From The Mistake By A Smack Is It?

*.Glitter.Rip.*
02-12-2004, 09:33 PM
Lol 6FT?!?
Yeah I was abused for a very short while but only small hittings but I grew with it. It was only a hit in the arm or a slap around the face or a ruler on the wrist but nothing reall outragous.
Extream child abuse is wrong and If it was me who saw them I would string them up by there *you know what* and whack them good and hard! Like at my old school *soon* Punch there gut till they bleed dark blood.
It makes me angry.
Thats still child abuse! I feel sorry for you. :(

lukeisok
04-12-2004, 05:55 PM
In My View These Are What I See As Parental Methods.
And Child Abuse.

Theres Parental Methods I.E-

Smacking When The Child Has Done Something Wrong.
To Warn Then That Its Wrong.
To Tell That Doing That Is Naughty.
To State A Point.
And Theres Child Abuse I.E-

Hitting The Child For No Apparent Reason.
The Child Living In Fear Of The Parents.
Leaving Bruises.
Breaking Down The Childs Self Esteem.
Sexually Abusing A Child.
If You Dont Aggree Have Your Say.

devildan1
04-12-2004, 06:00 PM
I dont actually lie talking about child abuse its upsetting people do it

lukeisok
04-12-2004, 06:01 PM
I Dont Want This To Sound Pushy. But Are You Accusing Me Of Having Used Child Abuse.

Pulchritudinous
04-12-2004, 06:03 PM
I think luke is right, although I still can't make up my mind whether smacking is a good punishment...

lukeisok
04-12-2004, 06:04 PM
I think luke is right, although I still can't make up my mind whether smacking is a good punishment...
I Would Smacking As A Last Resort.

Pulchritudinous
05-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Okay :)

Naughty Naughty = Smacky Smacky. *CORRECT*

Goody Goody = Stabby Stabby *INCORRECT*

lukeisok
05-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Your Pretty Well Right. I Like The Way You Presented It.

xJoeYx
13-12-2004, 06:40 PM
I think smacking children (without 2 much force) is a good way of teaching young children the rights and wrongs, simple words might not be enough.

JadeLestrange
22-12-2004, 06:18 PM
I dont believe in smacking children.Discipline can be taught in other ways.I was never smacked as a little child and i learned rights and wrongs perfectly well.I know it's wrong to steal or take without asking,I have manners and im polite yet i was never smacked.It CAN be done without smacking.Simple words can be enough as long as they're the right words.

GommeInc
27-12-2004, 12:34 AM
Smacking is not the right answer, you lock them in an empty room with nothing in for an hour or you shout at them.

Mendonky
27-12-2004, 01:44 AM
well it seems that the child abuse issue can be slightly controversial amongst the forum, i did not intend to cause such a disturbance. thank you all for expressing your views on this subject, but i think its time this thread was closed, but not forgotten.

thanks again everyone.

Corey777
27-12-2004, 03:00 PM
I am definately against child abuse. I do not even believe in spankings.

Children that are bad a lot usually have some disease, ADHD or Bi-Polar or something along those lines.

So if you spank a child with that mental disease, you are only angering them more. When anger builds up, they will do something worse.

Therefore, I think sitting down and talking to the child is the right answer.
A lot of people will disagree with me, but I don't see why hitting is necessary.

lukeisok
27-12-2004, 03:04 PM
I am definately against child abuse. I do not even believe in spankings.

Children that are bad a lot usually have some disease, ADHD or Bi-Polar or something along those lines.

So if you spank a child with that mental disease, you are only angering them more. When anger builds up, they will do something worse.

Therefore, I think sitting down and talking to the child is the right answer.
A lot of people will disagree with me, but I don't see why hitting is necessary.
ADHD - Is A Behavior Order.

Corey777
27-12-2004, 03:13 PM
ADHD - Is A Behavior Order.

Yes, a mental behaviour disorder. Like I said earlier, a child with such a disorder, would more likely get into trouble, however that is just in general.

properclone
27-12-2004, 03:30 PM
I am against any means of hitting children.
I dispise the thought of parents smacking kids even if what they did was naughty. In my experience it doesnt help, it makes them cry and makes matters worse.

I still think of it as violence and if that's how you raise your child, fair douz but I wouldn't want any part in it.

Corey777
27-12-2004, 03:32 PM
I am against any means of hitting children.
I dispise the thought of parents smacking kids even if what they did was naughty. In my experience it doesnt help, it makes them cry and makes matters worse.

I still think of it as violence and if that's how you raise your child, fair douz but I wouldn't want any part in it.

I totally agree with that.

GommeInc
27-12-2004, 04:22 PM
It is violence, sit them down and talk to them in a gentle voice and if they carry on lock them in an empty room for 20 mins.

lukeisok
27-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Lol. Lock Them In A Dark Cupboard With A Spider.

GommeInc
27-12-2004, 05:21 PM
I used to hate spiders but I fight thtme off, i dont think iwas hit though when I was younger.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!