PDA

View Full Version : Read this throught pls. English work.

Charles
27-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I have to write a review for my English coursework, can you just read it though and see if I should add anything else in?
thx;
Film Review- Napoleon Dynamite
Teenagers.

‘Napoleon Dynamite’. A new kind of hero. A new kind of film. This comedy film sees an average geeky teen named Napoleon Dynamite, played by Jon Heder who has previously appeared on ‘Mad TV’ a show about the weird and wonderful magazine, ‘Mad’. The film is set in rural America as Napoleon lives with his 32 year old brother Kip and his uncle who is still living back in ’82, as you can probably guess, this film is about misfits. Jared Hess has bravely taken charge of this weird and wonderful film along with his wife Jerusha who co-wrote this. It is not like any other on the market.
Napoleon doesn’t grasp that he isn’t the coolest kid in school, so that’s why he and his friend Pedro (Effen Ramirez) run for the famed ‘Class President’ without a care in the world against the ever so popular Summer Wheatly (Haylie Duff).
This film has been praised by the likes of Matt Lucas (Little Britain) as he has said, ‘One of the funniest things you’ll ever see’. ‘Napoleon Dynamite’ has the theme of school days; this is noticed from the very start, from probably the most creative opening credits ever. Even the music joining the credits has the same genre.
The use of close-ups in this film comes into practise as soon as the opening credits roll. The camera focuses on a variation of school meals placed on colourful backgrounds, each displaying an actor’s name. Right after the opening credits, the use of close-ups is still being used as the camera focuses on our so-called ‘hero’.
The corny mall music throughout relates to the theme of this film because it’s not your usual action film, it’s about ‘Nerds’. But people above 30 may not get this film and its witty comments because most scenes the younger generation will enjoy and laugh along to.
Jared Hess has used panning to sweep across parts of the film, to emphasise how much of an outcast Napoleon is as the camera pans across a variation of activities.
There is only one case of a point of view being used in this film, which is probably a downfall of the lack of the variation of camera angles, the point of view shot features a spying moment which focuses on the POV of Napoleon as he spies on his uncle. The final scene is a must-see, really enjoyable and it surely can’t be missed.
I’ve enjoyed watching this film many times, the quotes are quite memorable. This low budget film still outshines all the big blockbusters. This film can be summed up by Napoleon himself. ‘Sweet’.

Jordan3
27-02-2006, 10:55 PM
That's good, I like the last sentence, very effective.

Neversoft
28-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Well done ;] I've seen this film, I found it quite odd.

FlyingJesus
01-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Good stuff, just one sentence you might want to change:

"But people above 30 may not get this film and its witty comments because most scenes the younger generation will enjoy and laugh along to."

It's just that the "because" that makes it seem to infer that older people and younger people can't find the same things funny. If you change "because" to "whereas" it would make more sense to me.

Charles
02-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks guys, hopefully my English teacher will like it. Its coursework.
I've also added all the actors' names, and added what Deb's role is.
FlyingJesus, thanks alot :D

FlyingJesus
02-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Not a problem, just a minor detail ;) You're very welcome.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!