PDA

View Full Version : Debate

Lord Zero
18-12-2004, 11:48 AM
All I've seen in this debate forum is people expressing their own opinions. Which is not debating.

So perhaps we should organize some proper debates between two individuals? Your thoughts, please.

MissAlice
18-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Perhaps we should give the definition for the word Debate.

To consider something; deliberate.
To engage in argument by discussing opposing points.
To engage in a formal discussion or argument.

A discussion involving opposing points; an argument.
Deliberation; consideration: passed the motion with little debate.
A formal contest of argumentation in which two opposing teams defend and attack a given proposition.

I think it is important to remind everyone of the wide age range of Habbox members, as some may be quite young. I agree many are just expressing their opinions.

What do you propose?

Lord Zero
18-12-2004, 01:32 PM
I propose we create a sub-forum for "official" debates, and leave this forum for people to express whatever is on their mind, etc.

Of course it will need rules and monitoring.

Concentric
18-12-2004, 01:34 PM
No, a debate is people putting forward their opinion.

I would agree with Alice, the whole idea of a debate is that you put forward your arguement in order to pursuade people that you are right and so come to a conclusion.

GommeInc
18-12-2004, 01:37 PM
I like this forum as it is, but it should not include anything to do with Habbo, this is not in the parent catagory Habbo

Lord Zero
18-12-2004, 01:37 PM
No, a debate is people putting forward their opinion.

I would agree with Alice, the whole idea of a debate is that you put forward your arguement in order to pursuade people that you are right and so come to a conclusion.Have you ever seen a debate? Say, on TV? One definition for debate is exactly what you are talking about. I'm saying we need some "official" debates, between two people rather than a lot of people throwing in the odd comment or two.

It needs to be between two individuals, on a subject chosen by someone else. And said person will need to choose which individual goes with which perspective.

EDIT: Gomme, if this proposal takes place, it won't change this forum. It will just be a sub-forum.

GommeInc
18-12-2004, 01:59 PM
It takes me ages to fit in, 10 seconds in fact. If I get emotionally scarred I shall set a pox on ye!

Simonac55
18-12-2004, 02:03 PM
A debate is showing your expression freely to compare it to others, while forming a general opinion and knowledge, as there might be different opinions, positive and negative sides. So in my opinion, I think the debates pretty well fit in.

Lord Zero
18-12-2004, 03:16 PM
I know perfectly well what a debate is. I'm not saying about changing this forum. I'm saying make a SUB-FORUM (!) for proper debates.

Do none of you understand?

A debate between two individuals on a subject chosen by someone else.

Debating is about being able to debate ANYTHING. That's what makes a good debater. The definition has changed, ask any professional. In fact, why don't you browse some sites about it?

GommeInc
18-12-2004, 03:20 PM
We're confused at the fact that you say real debating?

Please tell us what you mean about real debating, I never thought there was such thing as fake and real debating.

Lord Zero
18-12-2004, 03:24 PM
We're confused at the fact that you say real debating?

Please tell us what you mean about real debating, I never thought there was such thing as fake and real debating.
Proper debating. By that I mean using the official international debating rules.
Which is why I'm saying about two individuals rather than a bunch of people throwing in their opinions. Debating now, does not mean opinions. If you watch or even participate in "proper" (rules) debating, you will see that opinions do not matter. You need to be able to debate on anything.

Concentric
18-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Yes i know what you mean, although that would be more like real debating i dont think its that appropriate to force people to argue on a subject they may not feel strongly about. Maybe you could just organise a subject and say who wants to put forward a side of the arguement.

Lord Zero
18-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Yes i know what you mean, although that would be more like real debating i dont think its that appropriate to force people to argue on a subject they may not feel strongly about. Maybe you could just organise a subject and say who wants to put forward a side of the arguement.
I'm afraid that's what debating is about. Arguing a perspective you don't believe in. It makes it more of a challenge ;P

GommeInc
18-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Thats seems a bit OTT using official debating rules. International Debating we have here is good enough for me.

jrh2002
18-12-2004, 07:13 PM
The only reason you would argue for something you dont believe in is if you were getting something out of it like these polaticians who will do the total opposite of what they believe so the keep their jobs and keep getting their big fat salary, if we wanted it so 2 people could debate anything it would require alot of setting up to stop others posting, alot of trouble when this forum is doing great as it is and i see no reason for a sub-forum.
I'm afraid that's what debating is about. Arguing a perspective you don't believe in. It makes it more of a challenge ;P

GommeInc
18-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Oh only 2 people debating at a time, must read closely in future. What a naf idea!

Lord Zero
18-12-2004, 07:31 PM
The only reason you would argue for something you dont believe in is if you were getting something out of it like these polaticians who will do the total opposite of what they believe so the keep their jobs and keep getting their big fat salary, if we wanted it so 2 people could debate anything it would require alot of setting up to stop others posting, alot of trouble when this forum is doing great as it is and i see no reason for a sub-forum.If you win a debate where you were arguing for something you didn't believe in does that not show intelligence and skill? That's one more reason of many.

It would not be hard to set this up. 30 mins' max? And that's with a coffee break.

EDIT: That is generally the amount of individuals in a debate, Gomme. Unless you are having a team debate in which case it's usually 2 individuals per team.

sierk
18-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Maybe we can set up small debating competitions, if it can be set up properly. Maybe MissAlice can choose 2 ppl, and start a post where these 2 ppl only must reply once each. Then she closes the thread. Now the 2 participants can in turn edit their post replying to the other person. MissAlice would pick what the subject is and who is for and who against.

jrh2002
18-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Well it might show skill but if you are arguing for something you don't believe in it seems more a lack of intelligence and a little hypocritical to me, your right it would not take long to set it up for a couple of people but its not a one off situation as others would also want to debate against each other so it would end up very time consuming, if you require a debate against somebody you could always do it by pm :p

If you win a debate where you were arguing for something you didn't believe in does that not show intelligence and skill? That's one more reason of many.

It would not be hard to set this up. 30 mins' max? And that's with a coffee break.

Lord Zero
18-12-2004, 11:21 PM
If you would let me, I could organize and set up the whole thing?

sierk
18-12-2004, 11:46 PM
I'll make a new thread asking who wants to join a debate.

Concentric
31-12-2004, 02:59 PM
alot of trouble when this forum is doing great as it is and i see no reason for a sub-forum.
I disagree i think we need to keep improving the forum and taking on peoples suggestions, keeping it the same won't make it any more popular.

Mined
02-01-2005, 07:50 PM
i agree competely

Mined
02-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Debates are people are different sides explaining how they feel

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!