PDA

View Full Version : [Bobba] A Guide to Keyloggers

SoraSafe
23-07-2004, 03:54 AM
This may be in the wrong section but they are sought of related so I decided to post it here, it's a guide on keyloggers and how to prevent and get rid of them. It's quite long so go to the toilet now if you have to :p anyway, hope it helps, enjoy :)

Keyloggers are programs which are sent usually within a program (mostly .exe) which hide themselves on your computer and log every keystroke you make (even passwords) and send it to the person who sent the keylogger. This is how people can lose their accounts on Habbo but even more serious they could find out bank/credit card details!

They're hundreds of ways to get a keylogger but I'll tell you the most common ways:

Over MSN, this is very common in which people accept files over MSN and run them. This can install a keylogger on your computer, so never accept files over MSN unless it's from someone you really trust. There is also a new scheme devised by those evil loggers >:( they can now get a keylogger onto your system by getting you to accept webcam, so I wouldn't do this either unless you are totally sure you can trust the other person. Through emails, this is also a common way to get a keylogger and is similar to above in which someone will offer you a program. My advice: just delete the email. So don't fall for keyloggers!

By downloading files: Websites offering programs that get you free credits? Sounds tempting but is just a keylogger in disguise, they too will mostly be .exe files which you have to run on your computer; but by opening and dowloading them you are installing a keylogger deep in your system which will probably remain there unbeknownst to you. So never download files that offer free credits, turning you into a hobba or anything that sounds to good to be true!

Loaders: Loaders, these are the links (usually the circular star shaped ones which say Check In) that open up Habbo for you. Remember when trading was down? Unofficial loaders were then created to have a link button, something no trade addict could resist. Well, aside from having a trade button these also can store your Habbo name and password so a day after trading some furni, you'll find it's gone! Only use the official loader on the Habbo Hotel homepage.

If you think you may be in danger of having a keylogger or your account being stolen, I recommend you ask a Hobba to get your account safety banned until you've removed the keylogger. Some good websites for preventing/deleting keyloggers:

www.bullguard.com/3months - this is serves as an excellent firewall

www.download.com/ - search ad-aware, I recommend downloading webroot spysweeper, this is a very good for removing keyloggers.

I've used both these and never lost my account in my time on Habbo, they are also recommended by Habbo; but for a full guide on keyloggers and viruses go to www.hobtech.net, the official Hobba Tech Team website, this provides some excellent guides on how not to get keylogged and how to get rid of them.

I hope this guide has helped you, and prevents some future run ins with keyloggers. In the mean time, stay happy, stay aware and stay safe ;-]

F1L73R
23-07-2004, 06:46 AM
Wow talk about a dedicated member :) Great job on that post sora bet it took u sum time to type it out :D

name14
23-07-2004, 07:38 AM
totally agree with this post keep up good work SoraSafe :D

.:Rare.Girl:.
24-07-2004, 03:45 AM
Thanx for the tips sara! I totally forgot about getting my account safetly banned because I'm pretty sure I have a keylogger. Btw I have ad-aware and spybot search and destroy, if I ran that tonight and removed all the problems it found would that get rid of the key logger?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!