PDA

View Full Version : A-Levels?

Bear-Max
04-07-2006, 04:38 PM
So, I would guess that GCSE is over for most and you're all enjoying the hot weather by now, but this week I've been on my Sixth Form Induction, which is supposed to help me decide my choices for the next two years.

It has actually helped, because I've (sadly) decided not to progress with one of my favourite subjects: Art.

So what I want to know is: what subjects have you chose or are planning to choose? And have you had to make any tough decisions?

I've chosen:

Maths
Further Maths
History
English Literature
Law
General Studies (compulsary)I may also be taking Film Studies as an extra-curricular A-Level.

It's a shame I had to drop art, but it clashed with other subjects on the A-Level timetable, and I would have had to go to another school to study it, which I'm not really prepared to do.

iluvben
04-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Your taking six-seven A Levels ?!? Anybody that does or has done A Levels would most likely call you crazy , they only recommend you take four for AS then drop one for A level.

bowrox
05-07-2006, 05:29 AM
I am only in year 8 but i reckon i'll be picking, maths and a advanced ict one.

Bear-Max
06-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Your taking six-seven A Levels ?!? Anybody that does or has done A Levels would most likely call you crazy , they only recommend you take four for AS then drop one for A level.

Lol, I can see where you're coming from :P

I can't take Film Studies, so I'll only be doing 6.

I think I can handle it though; General Studies is a pretty easy subject, and Further Maths and Maths are quite intertwined subjects. I'm sure I'll be okay ^^

Craig
06-07-2006, 05:22 PM
Well in Scotland I think they take like 8-10 subjects and take pretty much 4-5 for the first year and the other 4-5 for the second year. In England we just take 3/4/5 for 2 years. I myself took 4 cos we were advised to take no more than 4 cos 5 is too stressful apparently. Anyway I took;

Philosophy and Ethics
Psychology
Business
Law

FlyingJesus
06-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Gonna be wiped out if you take 6 A-levels, and you've got some very heavy subjects too (law and history). I'm taking:

Philosophy
Psychology
Government & Politics
History

But wanting to drop history for something else... induction day next week so I'll see then. Maybe take up Fine Art again..

Seacat
06-07-2006, 05:35 PM
I do

Law
English Language
Psychology
and General Studies

I did ICT last year but I'm in my A-Level year now so I've dropped that. I wouldn't recommend doing 6 A-Levels AT all unless you want absolutely no social life :P Law is a good subject so I'd definately recommend it, but it's also a subject that requires alot of hard work due to the amount of essays you need to do, and all the cases / rules that you need to learn.

I do English Lanaguage not Lit but they're quite similar, and there's alot of work comes from that (I think English Lit is harder because you have to analyse poems, then write an essay on them).

The others I don't know about, a friend took Maths though and says it's rubbish but that's most likely down to the teacher. I will say it again that I really don't recommend taking 6 :p

Craig
06-07-2006, 05:40 PM
I do

Law
English Language
Psychology
and General Studies

Law is a good subject so I'd definately recommend it, but it's also a subject that requires alot of hard work due to the amount of essays you need to do, and all the cases / rules that you need to learn.

What is psychology like? And for your Law did you have it as a 'video conference' subject like where you're taught by videos and stuff?:s Cos we are at our school ;x Anything else I should know about Law? Tyvm:)

FlyingJesus
06-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Just about everyone's doing psychology.. all the stupid goth/emo/scene kids in my area are doing it thinking that they'll learn new mind disorders that they can claim to have to be more "individual". In the college I'm going to though, it starts off with a module on memory (growth, storage, etc.,) and then onto stress and stress-related illness, and then I can't remember. Something else to do with... brains.

Tash.
06-07-2006, 06:32 PM
I've gone for 4, not sure if I'll get into psychology though, I need at least a B in Maths and its not a strong point for me.

Anyway I chose:

Psychology
Philosophy
Law
History 20th Century

Should be interesting I suppose.

Mentor
06-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Well ive compleated my AS's and waiting on results.
I did:
Philophy (recommenced, it rules)
Computeing (where the last year of current course, it ruled but i duno about the new one replacing it)
Art (its art :) )
Film Studies (just to fill up a forth)

and cisco addition.

This year for A levels thogh im hopeing to carry on those subjects to A level, althogh im droping cisco, and adding Genral studies, so i should end up with 5 A levels :D

FlyingJesus
06-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Is general studies just a 1-year course, or are you doing 3 years college to take advantage of EMA payments? :P

Mentor
06-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Is general studies just a 1-year course, or are you doing 3 years college to take advantage of EMA payments? :P
Im not on EMA, plus yea genral studies is just a 1 year course :D

Craig
06-07-2006, 07:12 PM
What happens/what do you do in a General Study course Carl?

FlyingJesus
06-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Study generally.

StripedTiger
06-07-2006, 07:39 PM
i wanna continue with my maths and science :)

Jesus-Egg
06-07-2006, 09:37 PM
I'm going to do:

Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Music

I might do Further Maths too, but i haven't decided yet.

Wizzdom
06-07-2006, 09:41 PM
I only took 4 (max amount)

Bear-Max
10-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Gonna be wiped out if you take 6 A-levels, and you've got some very heavy subjects too (law and history).

Well everyone in my school takes 5: 4 choices plus General Studies. The only extra subject is Further Maths. It's only 4 hours extra work a week, but for an extra A-Level I think it's worth it.

History is a majorly heavy subject, you're right. I did Law GCSE and it wasn't extremely heavy; the coursework was the most strenuous part. Luckily the A-Level exam board my school uses for A-Level is exam-only.

MsTanya
10-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Im only in year ninee :p but I already know what I want to do ..

Law
Psychology
Sociology
Maths

Might drop one through.. or I might change my mind.

Frodo13.
10-07-2006, 04:11 PM
When/If I make it to A-Level, I want to take.

History
Business Studies
Law
I would pick a fourth but dont know what to take.

Nixt
10-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Not finished my GCSEs yet, but when I do I want to take

Philosophy
Sociology
History
Law
Hopefully, I'll already have my Psychology A Level, which I am taking early... I get the results this summer :$

10-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Ive taken..

History
Sociology
Applied Science
ICT

History is good and quite interesting but it is alot of work. You have to do alot of outside reading and its mostly taking notes from the information your teacher gives you. I dont partciularly like it but thats down to the teacher ive got and the fact im doing about Henry VII - Who is a boring guy but the european side is exciting :P
As for taking 6 i would definately not under any circumstances recommend it. Its hard enough doing 4 and you will find it hard, unless your a genius who has no trouble with college whats so ever im sure youll be fine.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!