PDA

View Full Version : Rooney recieves 2-match suspension.

brandon
08-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Wayne Rooney has been suspended for two matches and fined £2,400 by Fifa following his red card against Portugal in the World Cup quarter-final.
World football's governing body found the 20-year-old striker guilty of violent conduct as a result of his stamp on defender Ricardo Carvalho.

The Manchester United star will miss England's Euro 2008 qualifying matches against Andorra and away to Macedonia.

He will be available again for the home game against Macedonia on 7 October.

Rooney insisted there was no malice intended in the second-half incident which happened after he fought off several players to try and win the ball.

He says Carvalho slipped into the area where he was about to place his foot.

Portugal winger Cristiano Ronaldo appeared to encourage the referee to send off his Manchester United team-mate, although he denied this and will not be investigated by Fifa.

Eriksson revealed he had spoken to referee Horacio Elizondo after the game against Portugal, which was decided by a penalty shoot-out, and had "no complaints" about the decision to send off Rooney.

"I spoke to Wayne after the game and he had no intention to do it," said Eriksson.

"I also went to the referee to speak and he was 100% sure it was a red card. He told me he hit the other player and where he was hit so I can't complain about that."
Did you think it was the right decision?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!