PDA

View Full Version : There's no way Beck!

brandon
12-08-2006, 07:38 PM
http://content.europe.creative.com/awardlogos/uk_the_sun_newspaper.gif

STEVE McCLAREN last night insisted axed David Beckham has no part to play in his England revolution.

After SunSport broke the story that rocked soccer, McClaren said: “It was a football decision and I think everybody around the country and in the FA respected the decision I made. It is a new beginning.

“I’m planning for the future and David was not included in that. I want to take the team in a different direction.

“I’ve got the job and I want to approach it my way, make my decisions and live or die by them.

“My mind was focused on the job in hand and I wanted to pick a squad for the future. David has been a fantastic player and captain for England but I’ve decided to move on from that.

“I want to talk about the future and the younger players who will take us through to 2008.

“There is some great talent coming through. I like width, pace and penetration. That’s what I’m looking towards.”

Ex-skipper Becks, 31, was told the news on Monday — hours before jetting out to the United States with Real Madrid.

Last night the former Manchester United midfielder released a statement, saying: “Having spoken to Steve McClaren this week, I can fully understand the new manager wants to make his mark on the team and build towards the next World Cup.

“I’m proud to have played for England for 10 years and my passion for representing my country is as strong as ever.”

McClaren added: “It was a difficult phone call to make because of the relationship I have with him.

“We have respect for each other. It was always going to be a tough decision — but one I had to make.

“I’m a great believer in development of young players and these lads deserve it. I want to keep a nucleus of players for 2008 and that opens it up for all the younger lads coming through.

“It’s a clean sheet of paper for everyone. We want a winning side and that’s what we are trying to achieve.

“Becks has pride and was disappointed but he’s going to fight for his place. He will perform as best as he can for Real and try to get in.”

Also axed were Sol Campbell and David James. But McClaren sprung a shock by recalling utility man Phil Neville, while West Ham ace Dean Ashton gets the nod in attack with Wayne Rooney missing through a groin injury.

Charlton defender Luke Young returns to the squad with Tottenham centre-back Michael Dawson, while Watford’s Ben Foster is the third-choice keeper.

It's good that McClaren had the balls to remove him from the revolution, although Beckham was starting to perform but I guess he's looking ahead to Euro 2008 and the South African World Cup.

Infrontation
12-08-2006, 08:54 PM
I personally think Beckham was a key player and McClaren is only doing it to follow public opinion.

bingoking
12-08-2006, 09:06 PM
I personally think Beckham was a key player and McClaren is only doing it to follow public opinion.

Yeah, i see your point but i'm not certian if i agree!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!