PDA

View Full Version : Rio Ferdinand admits he loves playing on the big occasions.

CokeZero
16-09-2006, 11:42 AM
The rivalry between the clubs is well documented and while the Manchester United centre back may not know whether he will face the injured Thierry Henry yet, he is looking forward to the battle nevertheless.
"I like everything about these games. The build-up, the atmospheres, the individual battles that can happen on the pitch, the history between the clubs," he told the Sun.
"It all adds to it. In recent seasons it has warmed up on the pitch and, off the pitch there is always added spice."
The classic meeting between the sides that Ferdinand savours the most though was the 4-2 victory at Highbury when Partick Vieira was famously put in his place by Roy Keane for trying to intimidate Gary Neville.
"That was the one I enjoyed the most. The stuff going on in the tunnel beforehand I will remember for a long time," Ferdinand continued.
"That raised the ante. A few of their players had something to say, Roy Keane had something to say and then we went out and did the business."
United have made a perfect start to the new season so far, with five wins out of five in all competitions. In contrast Arsenal have struggled to only two points from their opening three games, and while Ferdinand insists it is still early days, he can see the potential inUnited's ranks slowly being realised.

"There is a greater cohesiveness about the team this time around. The maturity in the squad makes you believe something can happen this season," he added.
"Players have taken more responsibility on their shoulders and are warming to that."
One of those ever-improving talents is Portuguese winger Cristiano Ronaldo and the 27-year-old has praised his young team-mate for committing to Old Trafford for the future.
"The kid has been through so much in a year. His father died, he had a **** accusation against him that was shown to be rubbish," Ferdinand concluded.
"He had plenty of tribulations before the World Cup and that proved to be just another chapter.
"But I know Ronaldo can be a key figure in a United team that wins trophies. I see the way he is playing now and I notice he has matured over the summer.
"He has looked at himself and I think now you are seeing a player whose end product is so much better now. Like Wayne Rooney, he is a magic player who can win a game on his own." United take on Arsene Wenger's men live from 4pm on Sunday on Sky Sports 1.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!