PDA

View Full Version : im worried about ma sats

allykin
01-10-2006, 08:18 AM
im really trying hard this year and i wanna get good grades but in year 6 i tried hard and the questions in sats were hard and im worried if the same happens to me again i dont wanna get a level 4 i wanna get at least a high 5 ;[ or 6 ;( any advice on how to get better grades? not just trying hard in school

alexxxxx
01-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Revising doesn't work, so make sure you pay attention at the little things the teachers say. I got 6 in SATS when predicted a 7 in English. Maths is just about common sense, make sure you understand everything and for science listen for the important things.

=] Hope I helped.

allykin
01-10-2006, 08:23 AM
thanks :) im gonna revise a bit so i remember stuff but im actually doing well in maths this year im always first to finish and always like first to put hand up but for science and english i really gotta listen and not chat. the naughty idiots they got a level higher predicted score then me and all they do is talk and annoy you. im gonna do that samlearning site and see whats scores i get.

Nixt
01-10-2006, 08:26 AM
;2291279']Revising doesn't work, so make sure you pay attention at the little things the teachers say. I got 6 in SATS when predicted a 7 in English. Maths is just about common sense, make sure you understand everything and for science listen for the important things.

=] Hope I helped.

WRONG! If you start revising a decent while before your SATS, literally, a couple of months, and devise a timetable to give you an idea what you are going to study, and for how long revising works!
Everyone learns differently however, so you have to uncover what way is best for you to revise;
Doing it using websites?
Doing it by just sitting and reading/taking notes.
Or if you are me, you have to use the both, and stick notes on the wall all around the place to take it all in.

Revising is important, it may not seem it, but it is! On top of that, obviously; concentration in lessons is important. You don't need to try as such, you just need to pay attention ;)

allykin
01-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Thanks nixt :) im doing the samlearning site and im reading a passage atm and answering questions its a bit hard but im gonna ask my mum so she can help and get some revision books. i might do extra classes i dunno dont care if its "geeky" as people say cause it might help more and i really want to get a good grade.

Paulena
01-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Don't worry about sats, there easy..

Nixt
01-10-2006, 08:33 AM
Thanks nixt :) im doing the samlearning site and im reading a passage atm and answering questions its a bit hard but im gonna ask my mum so she can help and get some revision books. i might do extra classes i dunno dont care if its "geeky" as people say cause it might help more and i really want to get a good grade.

It's not geeky imo. If you want to learn and do well, then that's something to be proud of. Try your best, and good luck :)

allykin
01-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Thankyou:) Im going to ask my mum today to buy me some revision books. But i will be trying much harder next year because it's only the start of the year but it'll get me boosted up a bit so i can remember much easier.

Eamonn
01-10-2006, 09:27 AM
;2291279']Revising doesn't work, so make sure you pay attention at the little things the teachers say. I got 6 in SATS when predicted a 7 in English. Maths is just about common sense, make sure you understand everything and for science listen for the important things.

=] Hope I helped.
Revising does work ''/ and don't even worry about SATs there the biggest load of poo ever because there soo easy the teachers hype them up to be these big , hard and important tests but they aint really.

FlyingJesus
01-10-2006, 09:40 AM
Wouldn't know if revising works or not myself as I don't do it, but what I do know is that SATs don't mean anything. The teachers might tell you it's all very important and such, but actually it's just something that shows how good the teachers are.
When you go apply for a job no-one's going to say "Ok and how did you do in your year 6 and 9 SATs?", because you'll have done GCSEs and possibly A levels by that time, and any job you get before that won't require qualifications of any sort.
My main suggestion to you would be that you absolutely must pay attention in school. Revising's no good if you never learned something in the first place, as it won't make any sense to you. However, at SATs level the only reason I can think of to revise is so you know how to revise for GCSEs, otherwise I really wouldn't bother.

shenk.
01-10-2006, 09:51 AM
SATs are there for the teachers examination.

If you get stupidly low SATs results the worst that can happen is your teacher will get sacked and maybe (Though rarely) you will be moved down a set next year.

Don't worrie about them - or GCSEs - I didn't revise for ether and got mostly As and Bs ;]

BUT i would advise you to revise for GCSEs. SATs i would say it's not worth it. ;]

DarkScream
01-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Dont worry, Be happy, concentrate.

Jesus-Egg
01-10-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm confused :s Why are people advising her to not to revise?

ok, they're not very important exams, and it is possible to do ok without revising, but i strongly advise that you do revise. You've got GCSEs, and possibly A Levels coming up, and you need to start getting used to revising, and finding the revision methods that work well for you.

Revision DOES work, as long as you can discover the best way of revising for you.

allykin
01-10-2006, 10:53 AM
im gonna revise and learn more because if i revise more now ill remember the stuff by year 11 and ill know more and it'll show if i need to be moved up/down so what class fits me best and its a practise really for gcse sorta so it gets me started on the revision.
im gonna do 6form u do a levels in that right?

FlyingJesus
01-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Yeah A levels at 6th form (or other college). Revision just isn't my thing, but I understand it works for other people.

allykin
01-10-2006, 01:01 PM
kai
i just done a lil test i found on a site and i done those fractyion things
like inproper fractions and factors n stuff and i got all 10qs rong ;( i hate those qs ;[
whats a factor again

alexxxxx
01-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Revision doesn't work for me. But at our school they do mean something. The whole of the sets were worked out on SATs and CATs tests.

FlyingJesus
01-10-2006, 01:15 PM
You were talking about fractions then asked about factors, so I'll answer both.

Fractions are the like 1/4 stuff, and I think improper fractions are where you get a higher top number like 5/4, in which case it should be 1 and 1/4. However I might be wrong, they might be fractions that are impossible to work out. One of those I'm sure :D

Factors are what can be multiplied together to make a number. For example, take the number 12. Factors of 12 are:

1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12

:Tanky
01-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Revising is for noobs.

allykin
01-10-2006, 07:31 PM
revising is for ppz that want to get good grades ty. i dnt care if i wuz to get called n00b at least i wanna get gd grades
also ty flyingjesus
so facvtor lyk
factors of 24 wud be
1,2,4,6,8 and 12?
whatever can be multiplied in dat number

Starburst..x
02-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Like most people have said in this, SATS don't stand for anything in life, they only there so the school knows what set to put you in for year 10, which is when you start the most important exams.
I know it is nice to get good grades in SATS, but honestly don't worry about it!, I thought they were going to be difficult, but as long as you pay attention, and revise things that you have done in years 7 and 8, aswell as this year you should be fine, all the questions are on things you have done before

brandon
02-10-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm not worried, whatever I get idc aslong as I tried my best.

allykin
02-10-2006, 05:18 PM
yer suppose your right dollops. But its sorta practise for gcse's so it'll help me a bit. So hope i do get good high score in sats so i'll know my predicted gcse grades, and i can work on that.

reindeer.
02-10-2006, 05:33 PM
They do practice GCSE's for practice for GCSE's if you get what I mean. SATs are ok, theyre not gonna decide what job you have.

Frodo13.
03-10-2006, 09:16 PM
As many people said, SATS are not overally important and only decide what set your in for years 10 & 11 (GCSE)

But, make sure you do some revision, as it definatly helps. What you dont want to while revising is try and cram lots of new info in. OK, Try and go over it, but if your really REALLY stuck, move on to things that you know you can do, but just need reminding of! Make sure you start revising at the earliest moment, as then the thing you are revising sticks in your head. Even if you don't have exams right away, just have a quick look through your revision guides and excersise books to get yourself familiar with the work you've been doing. Finally, don't get yourself stressed out because this will make you loose confidence in yourself and it will show in the grade you get. Just go into the exam with a open mind and tell yourself you can do it!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!