PDA

View Full Version : Is There ever going to be a differnt party as victors

hit-by-a-car
16-11-2006, 11:01 PM
I was wondering, you have all these partys like the blazing looneys and everything that are low, so why do they never win, the 3 mains are

Labour :eusa_danc
Democrats :eusa_shif
Conservatives :eusa_naug

But what Lower class party would you go for, non of the above. Im not sure to be hounest...

Rizla
16-11-2006, 11:11 PM
I'll think you'll find the leading parties are Labour, Conservatives and the Lib Dems. Also, Labour is pretty much just the conservative party these days.

FlyingJesus
16-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Errr first off the Liberal Democrats have never won and hopefully never will, they're always third but they're miles behind every time.
Secondly, your use of the term "lower class" is off. Technically, Labour is the lower class party, as they appeal to the lower class.

However as I'm sure you simply meant the "other" parties:

UKIP are the most successful (usually coming 4th in the elections) followed by the BNP and then Green. There are then lots of even smaller parties like the Legalise Marijuana Party and the Monster Raving Loony Party.

The reason that smaller parties rarely do well is because they generally appeal to a small group of people, whereas Labour/Conservative each appeal to about a third of the British electorate. Also, because our voting system is non proportional, parties require quite a large percentage of votes just to get one seat in the Commons.

Rizla
16-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Lib Dems have won, just not in the last 100 years, as far as my knowledge goes...

Most single issue partys like the Legalise It one are purely an attempt to put pressure on the government to acknowledge an issue, they don't actually expect to win.

FlyingJesus
16-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Lib Dems have won, just not in the last 100 years, as far as my knowledge goes...

Not possible, the Liberal Democrat party has only been around a few decades :P

Rizla
16-11-2006, 11:27 PM
Meh, there was some sort of Liberal party around late 1800's - early 1900's. Don't really listen in british depth study :p

hit-by-a-car
17-11-2006, 12:01 AM
:P im not sure anyone does lol

-:Undertaker:-
18-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Liberal Democrats used to be 2 partys the Liberals and the democrats then they joined together MANY years ago.

They have been in power though but only like 100 years ago.

Labour today is pathetic and always has been, Liberals aren't getting anywere, Conservatives are lead by David Blairon who is an idiot.

Rizla
18-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Labour wasn't always pathetic, there name used to reflect who they represented, when Blair took over he withdrew all power from the unions, and since then it's gradually become more and more conservative.

18-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Unions are bad, before Maggie Thacther was in power the unions used to CONTROL the government.

Mr.Sam
18-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Liberal Democrats used to be 2 partys the Liberals and the democrats then they joined together MANY years ago.

They have been in power though but only like 100 years ago.

Labour today is pathetic and always has been, Liberals aren't getting anywere, Conservatives are lead by David Blairon who is an idiot.

David cameron ;)
green party ftw? :rolleyes:

18-11-2006, 11:33 AM
David cameron ;)

He deserves to go by the name Blairon because that's what he is, another Blair :P

FlyingJesus
18-11-2006, 11:58 AM

I lol'd

hit-by-a-car
18-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Unions are bad, before Maggie Thacther was in power the unions used to CONTROL the government.
Winston churchil was Labour party. he won us the war! :)

sim
18-11-2006, 06:36 PM
ID GO FOR GREEN PARTY :D

FlyingJesus
18-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Winston churchil was Labour party. he won us the war! :)

lol@u

Churchill was a Conservative.

Alterate
18-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Don't the Lib dems want to get rid of the royal family?

FlyingJesus
18-11-2006, 09:09 PM

If so I hate them even more. I know the royals don't really do a lot but they're a symbol of tradition for us, and I respect that.

RedStratocas
19-11-2006, 01:29 AM
In the U.S., we only have 2. And its going to stay that way for a while unfortunatly.

People thought in 2000 that the Green Party was going to go shooting up, when Ralph Nadar got 2% of the vote (an amazing feet for any 3rd party). However, arguably, if he didnt run, that 2% would have gone to Al Gore and would undoubtingly have made Al Gore the president. Thus, George Bush wouldnt have been 'elected' and the world would be much different than it is today.

People dont want that to happen again, so unfortunatly, we in the U.S. are stuck with the 2 party system until people forget.

I hate it when people use 'liberal' as an insult in politics. Liberal means progressive ideas and foward thinking, why is that a bad thing?

sim
19-11-2006, 08:36 AM

The problem is with things like this statement AND many others on this forum is that they either:

a) Aren't true.
b) Are twisted truth.
c) Even pose a question which to be honest is just stirring. If you dont know if something is true....then dont post it.

hit-by-a-car
19-11-2006, 06:15 PM
well im confused :(

Mentor
23-11-2006, 12:24 AM
I'll think you'll find the leading parties are Labour, Conservatives and the Lib Dems. Also, Labour is pretty much just the conservative party these days.

Policy wize id say with the new leadership its more Conservative are the new labour.

Ether way, there More aless clones of each other new days.

I think a new party would have a chance, since really, i dont agree fully with any of there agenders and i cant even choose which one i agree with most, since there more aless exsactly the same.

I mean, the polcie now spend more money filling in forms than they do catching criminals? How exsactly does the govement not see the problem here with all the buocratic time/money wasteing crap.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!