PDA

View Full Version : jedi to become a religion

Tiuhdur
01-12-2006, 04:28 PM
in the news the other day it said that in a servey the religion "jedi" is what a third of those who took part said and have written letters asking for "jedi" to be known as a religon throughout the world

i myself like starwars but is this to far for those star fans?
as this is religion forum religon is main point not debate so here =)

Rizla,
01-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Jedi has been a recognized religion in the UK for years...

But not a practiced one, unless there are some Star Wars geeks practicing it.

Biseinen
01-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I worship the teachings of Yoda. o_o;

Nightcrawler
01-12-2006, 04:48 PM
This Has Been for about 5 Years Maybe longers

There was also somithng on tv saying that Members should be able to wear robes like the muslim wear but without the Hat

Browney
01-12-2006, 05:13 PM
"I'm sorry sir, you can't take that umm... "
"Lightsaber." :D
"Yeah... that... onboard the plane. It may be a health hazard."
"It's my religion. Let me have it or i'll sue!"
"Ok Ok..."

Lol. Enough joking around. Lets all go pray to yoda and hope that the droids won't kill us in our sleep. :D

Seriously, if you practise this religion it just shouts out to the world;

I'm a 30 year old man who still lives with my mum who posts on forums saying "OMG. Spiderman Three has no continuity!" And buys dolls which I call action figures and never remove from their packages.

Ps. Highlight my full message...

scubadiva
01-12-2006, 05:19 PM
A magazine published it as a joke in a magazine. There was a census a few years ago, and the mag said to put down that your religion was Jedi. Loads of people did (because it's not illegal), and if enough people put it, it would HAVE to become an official religion. My history teacher and her family did it. She and her dad were 'Jedi Masters' and her brother was a 'Jedi Apprenctice'. When she told us, everyone was looking around and miming 'Weirdo' to their mates :P

Tiuhdur
01-12-2006, 05:51 PM
lol ye as a person previously said the "jedi" want to wear robes in public and do the jedi rituals without being laughed at etc
in my point of view isnt that taking the film to far? even though revenge of the sith was quite an emotive one but isnt it taking it to far?

Mentor
01-12-2006, 05:58 PM
in the news the other day it said that in a servey the religion "jedi" is what a third of those who took part said and have written letters asking for "jedi" to be known as a religon throughout the world

i myself like starwars but is this to far for those star fans?
as this is religion forum religon is main point not debate so here =)

Technicaly jedi doesnt class as a religion, since it doesnt fit the paramiters decribed by the definition of what a religion is.

the checklist.

1) Is an Identifiable group:
- Not really, unless you count people who dress up as star wars charicters.
2)A collection of rituals, celebration's,story's:
- The movies, dont really provide any practical advice on morality or any other issues...
3)A collection of often "given" belifes:
- The movie doesnt really state any real belifes
4) a sacred text:
- Not really
5) following a code of behavior:
-None was defined.
6) people actualy have a belife in it.
- Not really, people dont take the movies as true of practis anything from them with conviction

So naa "/

Biseinen
01-12-2006, 06:39 PM
- That is what they do, they always wear capes and things that a 'Jedi' is supposed to wear.
- It doesn't matter if it's a movie, they still do the performed actions as a ritual and celebrate things they do. (Very sad)
- A belief in the force! :p
4) a sacred text:
- Stumped on this one. ;P
- The Jedi code. ;)
- Which they do. ;P

Tiuhdur
01-12-2006, 06:50 PM
yes they do beleive in it and for number 4 a sacred text would be the ones jedi have come up with coz in the letters the partners that wrote a certain letter said by the words of our ancestors of 115 thousand years ago so they r serious about it which i find is quite sad but i hear government officials beleive that it could be classed as a religon in the comeing years

Mentor
01-12-2006, 08:03 PM
- That is what they do, they always wear capes and things that a 'Jedi' is supposed to wear.
- It doesn't matter if it's a movie, they still do the performed actions as a ritual and celebrate things they do. (Very sad)
- A belief in the force! :p
4) a sacred text:
- Stumped on this one. ;P
- The Jedi code. ;)
- Which they do. ;P
The fact its from a film still holds as a problem thogh, if george lucas had said the jedi god or whatever made him make the film, maybe, hes a profit and maybe it could be defneded.
But he didnt, he made it as a blockbuster film, for enjoyment, not for any supernatrual reasons "/
Hence the scared texts problem

kasi
01-12-2006, 08:13 PM
lmao at that. no offence.

harl2015
01-12-2006, 08:31 PM
hey, my religion is jedi, and, if you cant accept that, then your an arrogant prink.. so, OPEN YOUR EYES.

Tiuhdur
01-12-2006, 09:25 PM
i dont care what religon someone is im just saying that some obsessed fans want it to be known as a religion even though there is no god for it and its a film not based on fact but completely fictional

scubadiva
02-12-2006, 12:13 AM
i dont care what religon someone is im just saying that some obsessed fans want it to be known as a religion even though there is no god for it and its a film not based on fact but completely fictional

You cannot prove EVERYTHING is true about every religion. Some things you can prove (such of the existence of Jesus, whether he was the son of God or not, he still did exist, it has been proved), and some you just have to believe in :)

BL!NKEY
02-12-2006, 12:34 AM
Scientology is a religion.

I dont see how jedi cant be.

Both were made up by people who wrote fictional stories.

:Hazel
02-12-2006, 12:36 AM
Jedi a religion? Thats crazy...

Mentor
02-12-2006, 12:40 AM
Scientology is a religion.

I dont see how jedi cant be.

Both were made up by people who wrote fictional stories.
One was made as a religion, one was made as a movie. One of the people were "religious expediences" aka thinks he was talked to by the higher beings who told him what to do (like profits in most religions) while one was just a sifi cowboy movie, written for entertaiment.

Whana guess which is which, and why one is classed as a religion and one aint?

scubadiva
02-12-2006, 12:43 AM
I keep telling you people, the government have to class it as an official British religion because a certain amount of people said it was their religion in a census. Regardless of whether it was a joke, or whether it can tick everything on that 'religion checklist', it is still a religion.

DJ-Ali
02-12-2006, 01:30 AM
This is the funniest thing I've ever heard of. Lawl.

Mentor
02-12-2006, 05:08 PM
I keep telling you people, the government have to class it as an official British religion because a certain amount of people said it was their religion in a census. Regardless of whether it was a joke, or whether it can tick everything on that 'religion checklist', it is still a religion.
IN germany candalism isnt illgal, Since its not listed as a crime... mainly becuse they never exspected it to happen. Under your logic then, candablism is perfectly acceptable becuse its not illgal?
Goverment dont actualy have control of the definitions of words, they make laws not language.

Notex
04-12-2006, 06:31 AM
Dude no offense but thats the stupidess thing ive ever heard... religions are normally based upon a civilizations believes, not one of George Lucas' creations.

Debate closed lol.

Liriel
04-12-2006, 08:46 AM
I think its quite stupid having a role from a movie as a religion but hey, thats their decision to do that.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!