PDA

View Full Version : Scientology

Jamie!
01-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Someone tell me what it is please? Its all what was said during that Tom Cruises wedding and just wondered what it was?

Tiuhdur
01-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Scientology is a body of teachings and related techniques developed by American author L. Ron Hubbard over some thirty years beginning in 1952 as a self-help philosophy, an outgrowth of his earlier self-help system, Dianetics. It claims to offer an exact methodology to help humans achieve awareness of their spiritual existence across many lifetimes and, simultaneously, to become more effective in the physical world. The name "Scientology" is also used to refer to the often controversial Church of Scientology, the largest organization promoting the practice of Scientology, which is itself part of a network of affiliated corporations that claim ownership and sole authority to disseminate Dianetics and Scientology.

A stated goal of Scientology is to "rehabilitate" the thetan (roughly equivalent to the soul) to regain its native state of "total freedom." Church spokesmen and practitioners attest that Hubbard's teachings (called "Technology" or "Tech" in Scientology terminology) have saved them from a plethora of problems and enabled them to better realize their highest potential in business and their personal lives.[1][2] However, outside observers—including journalists, lawmakers, and national governing bodies of several countries—have reached conclusions about Scientology that are sharply at odds with the Church's self-representations. These include allegations that the church is an unscrupulous commercial enterprise that harasses its critics and brutally exploits its members.[3][4]

Believers are normally free to openly practice Scientology in nations that permit freedom of religion, however the organized Church of Scientology has often encountered opposition. While a number of nations now accept the Church as a bona fide religious organization entitled to the protections and tax relief that such status entails, it has also been attacked by governments as a pseudoreligion, a cult, or a transnational corporation.[5][6][7][8]

there ya go lol

Jamie!
01-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Hardly understood any of that but thanks [;

I'll rep ya in a min.

cocaine
01-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Well, its a religion where you have to pay to get to 'other levels'.

So, for instance, in Christianity theres Preists and Bishops etc.

But in Scientology, you have OT (operating thetan) levels, that go up to 50 (I think)

And one high level gives you the ability to fly.

Mentor
01-12-2006, 08:05 PM
A very breif summary.
Its a Very new religion, founded by L. Ron Hubbard a si-fi writer. The permisis is human life was created by aliens, which to be honest is infinilty more credable than most other religions, yet dispite this it is seem by many as a cult and not gieven the same respect as most other religions of its size.

This so called new religion is nothing but a pack of weird rituals and chants designed to take away the money of fools. Let us say the Lord's prayer 40 times, but first let's pass the collection plate.

letisix
01-12-2006, 08:07 PM
This is a very New religan But i don't Know much about it sorry |

Tiuhdur
01-12-2006, 09:23 PM
ty for rep sorry for the big description

jwd
06-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Ive read about it and it sounds realy realy dumb!!! They all bellive in like brainwashed alien souls flying into cavemen makeing them have feelings and makeing them human! Its SOOO Gay! (no offence to any scientologists)

Dan2nd
06-12-2006, 10:20 PM
I think its very interesting even though I don't share their beleifs I still however think its quite an intresting thing. I don't understand though do they beleive that Aliens left humans on earth or just a spec of life or what?

Mentor
06-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Ive read about it and it sounds realy realy dumb!!! They all bellive in like brainwashed alien souls flying into cavemen makeing them have feelings and makeing them human! Its SOOO Gay! (no offence to any scientologists)
To be honest thats still more plausable that the scared texts of most religions.

Dan2nd
06-12-2006, 10:26 PM

hypnotysim maybe?

Mr.Big
07-12-2006, 01:16 AM
Scientologists like Tom Cruise cram all their religous beliefs down other peoples throats, and are part of the reason why Chef is dead, so yes, Scientology sucks.

Dentafrice1
07-12-2006, 01:23 AM
I know it has levels..

OMG its like world of warcraft.. Hey tom cruise pay $50.. help me level to level 3!

Level up!

My xp is 30.. dangit!

RedStratocas
07-12-2006, 02:02 AM
Scientologists like Tom Cruise cram all their religous beliefs down other peoples throats, and are part of the reason why Chef is dead, so yes, Scientology sucks.

He doesnt shove it down people throats, hes just crazy.

Scientology was actually invented as a joke. The man who invented it was a rich science fiction writter, and he found out that if you live in the U.S. and start your own church, you dont have to pay taxes. So he took advantage of it to kind of shove it in the government's face about how stupid that law is. After he died, his family kept it going and one thing led to another, its a real religion.

As long as they arent hurting anyone, I dont care. There are some more insane stories and such in other religions, so really this one isnt as weird as it sounds. They arent people I personally like though.

I still like Beck though.

Starburst..x
07-12-2006, 07:20 PM
So does scientology worship a god or anything like that?

RedStratocas
07-12-2006, 09:27 PM
So does scientology worship a god or anything like that?

Not really, its just a belief.

Jazza
07-12-2006, 10:17 PM
There is quite a large bit you missed out, and thats that aliens are supposed to have braught humans, in a storage pod to earth, and dropping them in volcanos, which released their souls which then gained bodies and formed the human race. (lol, I'm serious but it's hilarious)

I Think the episode of south Park explains it all

Mentor
07-12-2006, 10:26 PM
There is quite a large bit you missed out, and thats that aliens are supposed to have braught humans, in a storage pod to earth, and dropping them in volcanos, which released their souls which then gained bodies and formed the human race. (lol, I'm serious but it's hilarious)

I Think the episode of south Park explains it all
Read the old testiment in the bible and compare it. Youll notice sciencolgy is ONE HELL of alot more beliveable and realistic

YoManGo!
07-12-2006, 10:51 PM
To be honest thats still more plausable that the scared texts of most religions.

Umm, well isn't that what any religion is? Faith in an entity which cannot be proved right or wrong, so Scientology is actually as believable as any theistic religion.

Coz I can I'm gonna put my RE essay here, it's kinda relevant.

“A God We Can Understand Is No God At All”

Will 10R

It took some time for me to fully work this quote out, at first I did not agree with it at all, my first impression was ‘but people work out their own understanding of their God(s), so clearly they do understand God’. However, the more I think about it, the more I agree with it. For me, organised theistic religion means to place faith in one or more supreme beings. Your beliefs may vary, you may see God as omnipotent (all powerful), monotheistic (just one God), omnipresent and many more. Despite the fact that all religions have a slightly different approach to their views on God, none of them would exist if people weren’t prepared to put a very strong belief into something that cannot possibly be proved to be in existence.

So all religions imply a faith in some greater being, or God and this requires you to trust an entity of which there is no proof of its existence, so no-one can fully understand God. If people worked out exactly what God was about, it would ruin one of, if not the most important and beneficial part of religion, which is that you find your own views and beliefs of God. From these own personal judgements comes what you as an individual gain from your faith, be this hope, discipline, a sense of belonging or anything else, the list is endless. The only reason we are all able to shape and mould these personal opinions is because there is no set understanding of God. The only reason people continue to worship is because there is a mystery about God which only they can decipher.

To a certain degree many religions do, of course have set understandings about what God ‘is’, Christianity and Islam are both monotheistic, so they believe there is only one God, whereas other religions worship several different Gods. From these ‘master beliefs’ comes an infinite number of ‘sub beliefs’ which are generally known only to the one individual.

In conclusion, yes your religion does set you basic understandings of your God, but what you make of these understandings is the important bit. This is what in my opinion religion is all about, being able to make the most of your God by creating your own understandings of Him/Her/It.

Hoax
08-12-2006, 12:34 AM
But in Scientology, you have OT (operating thetan) levels, that go up to 50 (I think)

And one high level gives you the ability to fly.

Lol a dat, made me laugh SO HARD!!!! Sounds a bit like runescape init. Why would someone believe they can fly after reaching LEVEL 50 OMGAWD!!!1

YoManGo!
08-12-2006, 05:44 PM
Why would people in normal theistic religions believe they can live with God in the kingdom of Heaven after they die forever and ever and ever.

Maybe the aliens and flying sound absurd, but compare it with Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism or any other religion and point out the differences and similarities.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!