PDA

View Full Version : learning to drive..

Metric.
20-12-2006, 06:24 PM
i am trying to learn how to drive a 5-speed manual car.

it's a 2006 volkswagen jetta tdi (diesel) company car.

the car allways stalls because i can't get off the clutch fast enough.
my mom is like doing all these things at once and shifting gears when we're driving and she's like you try it and it stalls.

like why don't people get automatic cars?
start, brake, drive, go.

with a manual it's like
it's like clutch, start, nutural, brake, clutch, first gear, gas, clutch, shift, clutch, SHIFT.

ughg.

i'm going to get it right eventually, but it's so hardddd.

Kenneth
20-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Most Italian cars in Italy are manual and its hard for anybody.
But you'll learn it

Charley
21-12-2006, 11:40 PM
I was lucky, I got the hang off it pretty quickly :)

Once I passed, I sort of got worse lol. But all is going well now.

Hope you get it right soon :) Just practice, you'll get it right soon enough. Goodluck!

ReNt BoI
22-12-2006, 11:11 AM
gd luck babe x

tularis
27-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Ahh you'll get used to it. I stalled about 5 times before I could pull away - and then there's stopping without stalling it - that's a bit harder :P

hyperlink
06-01-2007, 07:07 PM
how can u find it hard to change gears lol. and if u really r that bad u can just learn in a automatic and have a licence that only lets you drive automatics

lSander
07-01-2007, 08:19 AM
If you're learning, you have to drive with a manual, it's sicccck.
I want AUTOMATIC :)

JoEsEpHgUy
07-01-2007, 09:32 AM
If you're learning, you have to drive with a manual, it's sicccck.
I want AUTOMATIC :)
id lol if u crashed

GommeInc
07-01-2007, 12:46 PM
You can learn in automatics?

I learnt in Manual, mainly because you can drive manual and automatic cars. Personally, automatics confuse me more because they do everything for you, while I like to do stuff on my own, like 3rd gear when going round a reasonable bend, while in an automatic you just need to take your foot off the pedal and break a few times.

I don't think you're driving right. You don't take your foot off the pedal as quick as possible, you take it off gradually while applying pressure on the accelerator?

Metric.
07-01-2007, 05:31 PM
You can learn in automatics?

I learnt in Manual, mainly because you can drive manual and automatic cars. Personally, automatics confuse me more because they do everything for you, while I like to do stuff on my own, like 3rd gear when going round a reasonable bend, while in an automatic you just need to take your foot off the pedal and break a few times.

I don't think you're driving right. You don't take your foot off the pedal as quick as possible, you take it off gradually while applying pressure on the accelerator?

ya, i noticed that with the honda. in the 7 and the s500 i could take corners a lot faster with minimal braking, but with the accord i have to use the brake a lot more. the jetta is really sensitive and you really have to be use to it for it to work right. we're going to fleet lease 2 more jettas, but they're going to tiptronic trans.

Plank
07-01-2007, 07:48 PM
automatic cars use more petrol

FlyingJesus
07-01-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm learning to drive in about a month's time I think, dear lord I'm going to be useless. I know nothing of cars, have never driven anything other than at Legoland and don't even know what pedals do what.

Should be a laugh.

Jin
08-01-2007, 04:41 PM
I too prefer a manual to automatic like gommeinc I find that manuals give a lot more control when it is needed such as a steep climb where you know your going to need to use your first or second gear for most of it or if you like to sometimes mess around in cars try things like handbrake turns (poor) attempts at drifting and evasive driving in your local supermarket car park late at night.

I had a horrible incident with an automatic mercedez 6 months ago, we had just gone to drop off my mums merc for servicing and we were supplied with an E class merc from back in the day as a courtesy car for the day. It was a dreadful ride with the brake only having the two positions Full brake or no brake we had just left the garage and I was trying to teach my mum how to drive the automatic in the passenger seat, anyway first set of traffic lights and we broke but the guy behind us didnt and pliughed into the back of us.

No one was seriously injured just whiplash, anyway that wrote off both cars (at just 15mph)

The way I learnt how to drive was first learning about cars and what actually happens when I press my clutch.

If you keep stalling all you need to remember is:
Find your clutch biting point when releasing the pedal, this is the point where when you release the clutch you can feel the car ready to move it is essential you know this as it is different in each car and gives you more confidence with the clutch.
when taking off you need to be in first gear.
During gear changes your clutch must be in and slight pressure should be taken OFF from the accelerator before releasing your clutch.
When slowing to a stop your clutch should remain in at all times even if you have stopped, you can only remove it when in neutral.
You dont want to remove your clutch too quick or too slow at any time. Just a fluid motion is ideal.
Also when "crawling" in your car such as in a traffic jam, depending on the power of your car usually the clutch is sufficient to move the car slowly but yet again base this on your biting point you would be suprised how fast your car will accelerate when it is just running.
I'm learning to drive in about a month's time I think, dear lord I'm going to be useless. I know nothing of cars, have never driven anything other than at Legoland and don't even know what pedals do what.

Should be a laugh.

Heh heh legoland :') I collided with my cousin because I went round the roundabout in the wrong direction.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!