PDA

View Full Version : Parents Stunt Growth Of Disabled Daughter

RedStratocas
07-01-2007, 09:53 PM
I was reading this artical (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/04/health/main2332076.shtml?source=RSSattr=U.S._2332076) before that I thought was pretty interesting. If youre too lazy to read it, this is a basic summary:

Parents stunted the growth of their daughter who has severe brain damage. Her uterus and breast tissue were removed at a Seattle hospital and she received large doses of hormones to halt her growth. She is now 4'5'', and she wont grow any taller. The parents did it because they wanted her small and managable, they didnt want her an average or larger size in fear of hurting herself when she has tantrums etc. But some people say it was wrong and that it only further damages her innormality.

I agree with the parents on this one. She isnt going to lead a normal life no matter what happens, so I think that any way of making it easier to care for her is a good thing.

What do you think about it? I heard a few people say it was hands down sick of them to do it, but I dont think so.

hobo
07-01-2007, 09:57 PM
I agree with the parents.

stunting her growth makes it easier for them and i doubt it will make much difference to her life, and she won't have to deal with stuff like periods.

ElectricBanana
07-01-2007, 10:02 PM
i dunno really, i can see both sides of the argument but it sounds slightly sick

FlyingJesus
07-01-2007, 10:06 PM
It sounds horrible at first, but when you think about the trouble that some parents go through with disabled children who outgrow them (as often happens), I think it's entirely understandable.

J1MI
07-01-2007, 10:40 PM
I think its disgraceful, who are they to "play god" with someones body, even if it is their daughters, its not their place. They have been dealt that card in life they have to deal with it they shouldn't be allowed to alter someones body just so they will be able to deal with it better.

Thats just my opinion.

Eamonn
07-01-2007, 10:53 PM
I think that no one should judge these people, as many of the people who judge wont have to go through what they have ahead of them, looking after a disabed child for most of it's life will be hard and it wont get easier when they get bigger, so if it makes it easier to care for the child, I say go for it.

Mentor
07-01-2007, 10:57 PM
I think its disgraceful, who are they to "play god" with someones body, even if it is their daughters, its not their place. They have been dealt that card in life they have to deal with it they shouldn't be allowed to alter someones body just so they will be able to deal with it better.

Thats just my opinion.at what point did they play god? playing god would be cureing the ******ation, not just a relatively simple opp. Plus you make it sound as if the parrents carryed out the op themselves "/

Personly whether or not its ok, does depend on the ******ation of the subject in question, but in this case the parents are probably in the right, since as RedStratocas said, there child isnt going to lead an normal life ether way.

*You sometimes wonder how immature the filter is going to get o.0

Papershop
07-01-2007, 11:48 PM
caring for someone with brain damage is hard work. stunting her growth will make her more managable for the parents who will have to carry her and wash her everyday. It sounds sick at first, but when you think about it, it makes sense to do so.

Ezzie.
08-01-2007, 03:40 AM
I had a handicapped brother and he was alot lot lot lot of work for my mum and dad, somtimes tey had to have 2 day breaks because it was extremely stressfull. He died when he was four, but even at that age he was starting to be quite difficult to handle.

I agree with the parents to a certain extent. But i do think it's quite odd to be changing their childs life

Vista
08-01-2007, 09:57 AM
at what point did they play god? playing god would be cureing the ******ation, not just a relatively simple opp. Plus you make it sound as if the parrents carryed out the op themselves "/

Personly whether or not its ok, does depend on the ******ation of the subject in question, but in this case the parents are probably in the right, since as RedStratocas said, there child isnt going to lead an normal life ether way.

*You sometimes wonder how immature the filter is going to get o.0

how do you know its a simple op? you couldn't carry out any operation. and the word you used that was filter is a nasty thing to say about disabled people/people with learning disabilities. I don't wonder how immature the filter is guna get i wonder how immature you're gonna get whihc is very because you are probably sum 10 yr old fat boffin sat at a computer with a bottle to wee in because you can't be arsed to go to the toilet. Get a ******* life

Edited by Dan (Super Moderator): Please do not insult other members, Thanks :]

FlyingJesus
08-01-2007, 03:35 PM
how do you know its a simple op? you couldn't carry out any operation. and the word you used that was filter is a nasty thing to say about disabled people/people with learning disabilities. I don't wonder how immature the filter is guna get i wonder how immature you're gonna get whihc is very because you are probably sum 10 yr old fat boffin sat at a computer with a bottle to wee in because you can't be arsed to go to the toilet. Get a ******* life

It is a relatively simple op. No I couldn't do it but any surgeon of that field could.

The word he used is a technical one, only deemed "nasty" because of it being abused by kids.

As for being immature, your statement about him being a "10 yr old fat boffin sat at a computer with a bottle to wee in" is about the most immature thing I've ever read.

I don't usually tell people if I -rep them (not that I do it often anyway) but I really don't care when it's someone as stupid as you. -rep to you sir.

RedStratocas
08-01-2007, 08:01 PM
I had a handicapped brother and he was alot lot lot lot of work for my mum and dad, somtimes tey had to have 2 day breaks because it was extremely stressfull. He died when he was four, but even at that age he was starting to be quite difficult to handle.

I agree with the parents to a certain extent. But i do think it's quite odd to be changing their childs life

Well I think the child's life cant really get any more or less normal than it already is.

******ation is the real name of the condition that many people with mental disabilities have, but kids use it as another form of stupid. People dont use it anymore when actually talking about it seriously, since its not politically correct, most people use mentally challenged. But it is immature, there is no point to change the name of something. It would be like calling diabetics "sugar challenged".

vogue
08-01-2007, 08:04 PM
oOMG she cnt av babies now.

but ye parents wer ryt.

wishing
08-01-2007, 10:25 PM
i kinda agree with the parents..
i mean kids nowadays arent gonna treat someone whos disabled any more normally no matter how tall they are but at least now she'll be more safe by by making that choice?

T0M
09-01-2007, 04:18 AM
i guess the parents were right i mean think of them caring for a 5,6 infant

Tiuhdur
09-01-2007, 04:27 PM

Thats just my opinion.

i completely agree its disgraceful

hit1
09-01-2007, 05:02 PM
It was the right thing, she is useless. She couldent do anything =)

Only fair?

RedStratocas
09-01-2007, 08:37 PM
I dont think it's playing god. By changing her, that would mean treating people for cancer and keeping people on life support and all these treatments are playing god. If it helps the child, I dont see why its such a bad thing. Who is losing here? Its a win-win for both the parents and the child.

Mentor
09-01-2007, 09:38 PM
how do you know its a simple op? you couldn't carry out any operation.For one, its actualy very similar to the proceger an averge vet carryes out if you get a femail animal spaid for exsample.
Aside from that, Brain sugery is slightly more complex than stanadred surgery, if this isnt obvious to you, consider why we can do one, but not the other. Its the same way astrophiscis is somewhat more complex than 2+2=4...

and the word you used that was filter is a nasty thing to say about disabled people/people with learning disabilities. No, its the correct one that stupid people think is a nasty one. hence why some stupid people use it as such. Its the correct medical termanolgy. The termanoy is stil in use by normal humans, i dont class polations as such, since most of them seem as if theyve been out of touch with reality for quite some time "/

I don't wonder how immature the filter is guna get i wonder how immature you're gonna get whihc is very because you are probably sum 10 yr old fat boffin sat at a computer with a bottle to wee in because you can't be arsed to go to the toilet. Get a ******* life
The irony of the statment is hilarus in context with the attempted insult you just pulled out, why dont you just call me a "poo bottom poo face" why your at it, since your really not getting much beond that level "/

FlyingJesus
09-01-2007, 10:16 PM
o stop bein a poo boottom poo face carlton

Bladder
10-01-2007, 01:44 AM
I say what they did was down right wrong.
God put her on earth for a purpose, if she was to stay small, then she would.
It's wrong to treat her like a 2 year old, she might be ******ed, but she will tell if she wants it or not!

RedStratocas
10-01-2007, 02:21 AM
I say what they did was down right wrong.
God put her on earth for a purpose, if she was to stay small, then she would.
It's wrong to treat her like a 2 year old, she might be ******ed, but she will tell if she wants it or not!

Uh... SHES MENTALLY HANDICAPPED. She cant tell you anything. She has the mind of a 2 year old, so yes, she does deserve to be treated like a 2 year old.

Dan2nd
10-01-2007, 06:09 PM
First of all I disagreed with it but after reading through the thread I've changed my mind. It will proberly cause less stress to her aswell as the parents.

RedStratocas
10-01-2007, 08:20 PM
First of all I disagreed with it but after reading through the thread I've changed my mind. It will proberly cause less stress to her aswell as the parents.

When I read the artical title, I thought it was sick. I thought the parents themselves stunted their child in their own method somehow for whatever reason. And it actually took me a little while to decide but then once I did it all made sense. What's important is the child-- and thats it. Whatever helps her through her life is a good thing.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!