PDA

View Full Version : Woman - In Action Movies? [Closes 19/02/07]

---MAD---
19-01-2007, 10:38 AM
The other day I was looking at a few reviews for a few movies and at the bottom, the reviewer said "Will woman ever bring a big hit action movie". This is referring to woman being the main character in the action movie.

Do you think this will ever happen or is this style for men only?

Blinger1
19-01-2007, 10:50 AM
i reckon men should stay the main character because the main character is ment to be "strong" and men tend to be stronger than ladies :)

Charlie
19-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Charlie's Angels?

Doesn't that count as one, with more then one women as the main characters of an action movie? And, i honestly think they should make some movies with women as the main characters, just because they have to be strong, doesn't mean a woman can't be that does it?

Also, to add to the Charlie's Angel thing, you've got movies that are based on comic books with women as the main character(s).

Blinger1
19-01-2007, 11:34 AM
also female main characters would be hotter.. ;)

Charlie
19-01-2007, 11:36 AM
also female main characters would be hotter.. ;)

Exactly, so it could attract more people to watch it because of the hot main character in the movie.

Blinger1
19-01-2007, 11:44 AM
also, DOA: Dead Or Alive had female main characters.. there was ment to be sex scenes..? (i went with a female friend so i wasn't going for the pr0n)

Roboevil
19-01-2007, 11:50 AM
It's hard to tell really because of the stereotype you'd expect from an action movie which features a female main character. Obviously the idea of a man being a secondary character and the female character having power and protection over him can appear demeaning in this society.
As of the stereotype, women don't fit the action superhero type persona unless they're perceived as butch or masculine, such as Wonderwoman or Lara Croft. Women who have important roles in films are usually just the sexy girlfriend of the criminal mastermind main bad guy or something, it's a pity really. Films like Catwoman did show women in a much better role for super heroins, she's shown as sexy and feminine, as well as being able to fight, although she did only fight women and the film was a bit of a flop.
Charlies' Angels is another film which shows feminine women in better roles but again they only seem to fight women, and when they fight men, they usually lose. Considering the way our society has curved and the way men and women are expected to act, look and be like, I doubt we will get a good role for a woman in an action movie.

8Freak8
19-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Angelina Jolie has proved that, yes, women can play action movie parts very well. Tomb Raider and Mr. and Mrs. Smith (one of my favourite films) both prove this :). Although Mr. and Mrs. Smith has a man as the main part as well, I think most people would agree Angelina Jolie holds the dominant role, and is more of a military top secret spy type character, whereas Brad Pitt isn't portrayed in that way as much.

Come to think of it, maybe the reason women are good in this role is because they can be portrayed as cold and heartless, whilst also remaining sexy (everybody knows women are cold and heartless ;)).

Roboevil
19-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Like 8Freak8 said, I absolutely loved Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Angelina Jolie did play a very good role in that much like Tomb Raider, it's not what I think anyone would expect a woman to play in an action film but it worked very well.
However 8Freak8, I think both Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's role was very equal and neither of them dominated over one another.

irresistible
19-01-2007, 03:10 PM
i think women are as good as men in action movies.

F32
19-01-2007, 04:16 PM
There should be no exceptions.

It's like saying, should black people be in action movies?

They all have the right; just because they are women, it doesn't mean they cannot be the main lead. If they are a good actress then there's no reason why not.

Unless, of course, if some sexist pig was to come along.

Charley
19-01-2007, 04:19 PM

They all have the right; just because they are women, it doesn't mean they cannot be the main lead. If they are a good actress then there's no reason why not.

Agreed!

micky.blue.eyes
19-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Uh..

Charlies Angels, Tomb Raider, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, CatWoman, WonderWoman, Xmen (some of them are female), League of extraordinary gentlemen (had a woman), many more I can't be bothered to tell.

GommeInc
19-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Uh..

Charlies Angels, Tomb Raider, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, CatWoman, WonderWoman, Xmen (some of them are female), League of extraordinary gentlemen (had a woman), many more I can't be bothered to tell.
This is a very strange debate... Those films all have female leading characters... Or at least one.

Samuel L. Jackson was the leading character in "Snakes on a Plane." And yes, he is black.

FlyingJesus
19-01-2007, 06:06 PM

*Cue my entrance*

As has been said, there are some good films that have females as the main action character, but in my opinion it just doesn't look right. Call me sexist if you will, but I'd much rather see a bloke smash his way through everyone with the sexy female as a support character than have it the other way around, just because it seems more natural. For example, Angelina Jolie in Tombraider played the part fantastically, but the action didn't have the authentic feel that a Bruce Lee or Stephen Chow film would.

Browney
19-01-2007, 06:15 PM
A woman in an action move just looks wierd. A man looks intimidating and powerful. It's the way we are built. Women are chosen for leads in Horror Films because they are considered "vulnerable" which adds to the tension.

Also, all those film with a women lead has the woman actor running around in a short skirt or in a leather skintight catsuit. Isn't THAT more sexist? That a woman has to flaunt every detail of her assets just so people will see the film.

Not that i'm complaining.

GommeInc
19-01-2007, 06:22 PM
A woman in an action move just looks wierd. A man looks intimidating and powerful. It's the way we are built. Women are chosen for leads in Horror Films because they are considered "vulnerable" which adds to the tension.

Also, all those film with a women lead has the woman actor running around in a short skirt or in a leather skintight catsuit. Isn't THAT more sexist? That a woman has to flaunt every detail of her assets just so people will see the film.

Not that i'm complaining.
Hmmmm, it's kinda true. But when a male is the lead in an Action film, girls sometimes find them sexy. The lead of any action film is meant to be sexy, handsome, beautiful etc, because it makes an audience want them to win a gun battle.

FlyingJesus
19-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Spawn isn't exactly pretty tbh.

Mentor
19-01-2007, 07:10 PM
The other day I was looking at a few reviews for a few movies and at the bottom, the reviewer said "Will woman ever bring a big hit action movie". This is referring to woman being the main character in the action movie.

Do you think this will ever happen or is this style for men only?

id refute the claim woman are not playing main roles in action films, there are plenty, the difference is the your own personal focus, the majority of films in the action genre contain a male and female lead, and there will usaly be a relationship sub plot added in to it. Its one of the more common conventions used.
Its also untrue to say its always the males that take the dominant lead, there are plenty of well known films where this is simply not true, take star wars even for example, princess layer clearly plays the dominant roll in many of the action sequences in the earlier films, although in this case, doesn't actually play a lead character, but movies such as Resident evil, or resident evil 2, tomb raider, etc do have female characters as there leads and in they clearly hold the dominant position, dispite the complimentary relationship subplot.

For example, Angelina Jolie in Tombraider played the part fantastically, but the action didn't have the authentic feel that a Bruce Lee or Stephen Chow film would.
To be honest, thats because its played by Angelina Jolie. youd probably have the same kinda or reponcess, if you replaced bruce lee with bill gates. Some people just dont fit the genre and do not play the roles realistically at all, shes one of them.

In summary. Very few action movies produced to day have a single lead, in nearly all of these, one is female the other is male. Saying that females have never been the lead to a action movie, is simply incorrect.

The Professor
19-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Theres no reason why they cant. There have been many successful films mentioned above, and probably more to follow. And what about the bond girls? Theyre main characters and the James Bond films are arguably the most successful action films ever

EDITIFY AFTER READING POSTS ON PAGE 2: To the person at the top: saying women arent as good as men in films isn't being sexist if its true. Men are generally better at sports such as rugby and cricket and women can multi task. Both sexes have different qualities, and to call someone sexist because they are stating facts (or a well backed up opinion) would be wrong.

Demynx
20-01-2007, 01:39 AM
Kill Bill. YAY! SLASHING MADNESS! It also involves women so yes, women can be as good as men when it comes to action movies, and I agree with Roboevil and 8Freak8 I love Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

RedStratocas
20-01-2007, 02:20 AM
Tomb Raidor? Charlie's Angels? Aeon Flux? Kill Bill? Underworld? Cat Woman?

Obviously the person who wrote that artical doesnt go outside much.

Mentor
20-01-2007, 04:29 AM

i dont really count Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Charlie's Angels and Aeon Flux? since they all really suck. Style over content doesn't work unless there actually varieing the style from the mainstream defaults "/ plus in the mr/mrs smith the male charicter is the real lead, since its shown from his prospective more than hers, so if you classife that, youd really have to classifey everything from speed to terminator under that catagory again... on that note terminator 1's lead was actualy the mother charicter more than anyone else? The sames true of alien, although its only the later alien films that can really be classifed as action "/

Djcafc.
20-01-2007, 09:22 AM

yer they are all brilliant movies and all star women of course they should be able to star in them

Browney
20-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Tomb Raidor? Charlie's Angels? Aeon Flux? Underworld? Cat Woman?

All are quite horrible films. Which is a shame tbh. I wish they were of higher quality to show women can be in good action films.

And also, whoever said there are women in James Bond films;
That role is called a suporting role. It means there's a lead (James Bond), and she is second to lead. Which can't really count.

Mentor
20-01-2007, 06:10 PM
All are quite horrible films. Which is a shame tbh. I wish they were of higher quality to show women can be in good action films.

That role is called a suporting role. It means there's a lead (James Bond), and she is second to lead. Which can't really count.

Kill bill is good. The alien movies, as the later movies did turn in to action ones in the end, also star a female character and are pretty good.

Browney
20-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Yeah, when I quoted I left the Kill Bill out. I really like that film.
And fair point with the Alien films.

Digital
20-01-2007, 07:17 PM
tomb raider?

GommeInc
20-01-2007, 08:17 PM
I think this debate has been proved pointless "/ There are a number of Action Films with female lead characters "/ The discussion was:

"Will woman ever bring a big hit action movie. Do you think this will ever happen or is this style for men only?"

Yes and it has been done, with a number of films.

micky.blue.eyes
22-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Kill Bill is funny to watch but I wouldn't really call it an action movie, it's more a kill-as-many-people-as-you-can-with-a-sword-and-make-the-blood-fly-as-far-and-unrealistic-as-possible move. :D
It's not an action movie like James Bond which the guy in the article was talking about.
But a movie like Tomb Raider is a good action movie and proved that women can play in action movies and make them a succes.
If you think of Angelina Jolie you think of action and a good looking lady. :P
Not of a Miss Pretty in some romantic movie.

RedStratocas
22-01-2007, 08:19 PM

Yeah, it is a shame, but I would count them as action movies even if they are aweful.

And Bond Girls cant count as girls in action roles. Because all the girls ever do in the Bond movies is act all sarcastic and know-it-all-y when they meet James, then they get kidnapped or some stupid crap, then Bond saves her, then he bangs her. Not much of an action role.

Browney
22-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Yeah, it is a shame, but I would count them as action movies even if they are aweful.

And Bond Girls cant count as girls in action roles. Because all the girls ever do in the Bond movies is act all sarcastic and know-it-all-y when they meet James, then they get kidnapped or some stupid crap, then Bond saves her, then he bangs her. Not much of an action role.

I lol'd but fair point.

-Soph-
03-02-2007, 12:25 AM
I guess it will happen.

it just seems like in the society that we live in, the women will have to be wearing next to nothing and have big silicone ****s. :rolleyes:

CrabRacket
03-02-2007, 12:28 AM
I prefer men really
brb what about Charlies Angels?

Mentor
03-02-2007, 12:29 AM
If you lot actualy care to read, at least the last few pages of the debate? last page even? youd have probably noticed it had been pretty much proven women already played leads in a number of action movies "/

CrabRacket
03-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Yup, hence Charlies Angels, Tomb Raider etc

Ashley 12344
08-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Omg.

My English coursework is on this.

Primarily Tomb Raider.

I think some action films should be female based, others male based. I'm not too fussed.

Isaac
09-02-2007, 12:31 AM
It depends, really. Mostly when action movies have women in them its done to be unique and different and not for the sake of just being a regular action movie.

However, I have come across several action movies with women who play lead and believe it or not they aren't really that bad. But in the end I'd put more faith in an action movie with a guy protagonist.

ColyTom
09-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Woman can do it too. I don't like any kind of sexism so I strongly feel that women should be allowed roles in action movies. They have succedded in several films such as the Tomb Raider series and Charlies Angels.

MattyTheOne
15-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Weeeel this is a bit of a 50-50. It would be watched more because a not very clothed woman in a film is sorta a man rushes to cinema to see sorta thing.

but besides the sexual side of it, i find that women can do just as well as men. Unless its a action/comedy. Lol. Fat men falling and trying to jump over things is always funny. Women rnt as good at comedy. Unless they act REALLY stupid, but thats far too cliched nowadays. But Resident Evil: Apocalypse is also a gd example. xD

The woman in it, i think her name was Milla Jovavich or something like that, she was a gd actor in it, even tho it was a shared main role between the few people. In it, she pure pwnd!

In Bond films, women are used more as sex symbols. xD

It's a pretty sexist view. -.-

Mentor
15-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Weeeel this is a bit of a 50-50. It would be watched more because a not very clothed woman in a film is sorta a man rushes to cinema to see sorta thing.

but besides the sexual side of it, i find that women can do just as well as men. Unless its a action/comedy. Lol. Fat men falling and trying to jump over things is always funny. Women rnt as good at comedy. Unless they act REALLY stupid, but thats far too cliched nowadays. But Resident Evil: Apocalypse is also a gd example. xD

The woman in it, i think her name was Milla Jovavich or something like that, she was a gd actor in it, even tho it was a shared main role between the few people. In it, she pure pwnd!

In Bond films, women are used more as sex symbols. xD

It's a pretty sexist view. -.-
I wouldnt say kill bill conforms to that, it has a female lead, without any of the "more because a not very clothed woman in a film" idea o.0 although tombrader on the other hand lay entirely in that specturm, hence why it was pretty crapy

sierk1
16-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Yes I agree that the Alien movies are good films with a woman playing the part of the action heroe that is normally played by men only. But I don't know any other films in which this is the case. It's an interesting thought if First Blood (also known as Rambo I) would have had the same impact if the main character had been a woman :P

Kill bill is good. The alien movies, as the later movies did turn in to action ones in the end, also star a female character and are pretty good.

Mentor
16-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Yes I agree that the Alien movies are good films with a woman playing the part of the action heroe that is normally played by men only. But I don't know any other films in which this is the case. It's an interesting thought if First Blood (also known as Rambo I) would have had the same impact if the main character had been a woman :P
Although not as main characters, starship troopers for example creates believable female characters, that play a roll very similar to that of Rambo? Also things like GI Jane i think it is, although more focusing somewhat on the political side, also presents a character likenable to Rambo, without any major skeptical gaps, Star bucks from the new galatica series, also fills a roll originally designed for a male actor as with the alien movies "/
So id say its more down to the director and the actors as how a charicter comes across and if both are good enough at there job, im pretty sure the desired rambo like charicter could be done to the same effect using a female lead "/

Ashhizzle
16-02-2007, 09:10 PM
i reckon men should stay the main character because the main character is ment to be "strong" and men tend to be stronger than ladies :)
Thats steriotypical [sp?][right word?] LOL Theres girls in my school hat are like, way stronger than some of the boys

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!