PDA

View Full Version : Is GMT over ?

Decapitated!
26-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Just copied this from yahoo so credit to them <3

LONDON (Reuters) - A British politician is calling for the country to scrap Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and align its clocks with mainland Europe, in a bid to save energy and cut road accidents.
Conservative Tim Yeo put forward a bill, to be discussed in Parliament on Friday, proposing that Britain drop GMT for three years to assess the impact of the change. Environmental and road safety researchers say a better alignment of waking hours and daylight hours would reduce demand for electricity and save lives during the evening rush hour.

But a similar attempt between 1969 and 1971 prompted a wave of protests from farmers and other early risers about the additional hours of morning darkness.
Campaigners for the new bill said the previous experiment showed that many more lives were saved by the extra hours of daylight in the evening. Different work patterns and flexible office hours now mean the scheme stands a greater chance of success, they said.

ORRR http://uk.news.yahoo.com/25012007/325/time-running-gmt.html

:Hazel
26-01-2007, 09:59 AM
I dont understand how it would cut road accidents?

GommeInc
26-01-2007, 04:08 PM
I dont understand how it would cut road accidents?
You're not alone... Is it because it would be lighter?

the wombats
26-01-2007, 04:12 PM
You're not alone... Is it because it would be lighter?

yeah i think. i don't really care though i would prefer it to get dark later.

GommeInc
26-01-2007, 04:31 PM
That's a stupid reason if it "/ Companies may descide to keep workers till later, which won't solve much.

cocaine
26-01-2007, 04:35 PM
I wouldn't want to bike to school when its too dark :l

GommeInc
26-01-2007, 05:00 PM
I#ve just had a thought. Can't they just wait till Summer is around?

Decapitated!
26-01-2007, 05:15 PM
I#ve just had a thought. Can't they just wait till Summer is around?

Yeah i no! Why change it in winter..

Plus this is going to be a really bad problem for farmers.

alexxxxx
26-01-2007, 05:51 PM
What they'll do is not change it back when it gets to changing your clock back. Or something like that. I think it's a good idea myself. Look at spain, they are south of us directly, but they are an hour ahead of us. Doesn't make sense.

Caution
26-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Ohhhh, my Geography teacher was saying something about this, I think..
Pretty stupid imo.

-:Undertaker:-
26-01-2007, 06:24 PM
It's just more pressure from the EU to make Britain get changed for some stupid reason like the French don't like it - The french and the union can go to hell.

Decapitated!
26-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Keep the debating coming guys xD

Casanova
26-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I think it's a stupid bill made by an unknown MP because he's sick of being unknown, he wants his limelight so he can be known as that stupid MP that demanded we change our hours. I personally think it's stupid, as we're okay as it is and i doubt it'll have any effect unless it's a foe.

Believe me, i've been walking around at like 6am in giant posh mansion estates when i was a ruddy paperboy, it get's scary when you've watched a movie on zombie's the night before :'(!

I think it's really unreasonable.

Rock:Dude
27-01-2007, 08:30 PM
GMT means we get to have cool Daylight saving and an hour lie in when its winter!
And I would love to know who crashes because of Daylight saving...
how???

OO no i havent put the clock back. I better change my watch while trying to navigate these hairpin bends!!!!

Rock:Dude

Judge Judy
29-01-2007, 07:41 PM
GMT FTW!

Thanks.

ColyTom
09-02-2007, 09:50 PM
This is complete silliness, I really hope that it isn't over.

Skiller
09-02-2007, 10:23 PM
If we scrap gmt time :( It means we just follow everyone else. We are unique!!!!!!!!!! + I like our time :/ I don't like europe time due to when I go on holiday its something different. But when your in england you have your own little timezone. Eww at that idea voted NO :D <3

Kenneth
09-02-2007, 10:49 PM
What would Zulu be than because zulu is GMT

Fonejacker
09-02-2007, 10:50 PM
It's just going to be like The Euro, Nothing will happen lol

kk.
09-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Dont say nothing will happen lol, we got away with the euro but they've made us change more. I really hope it doesn't change. Why do they need to do a trial period if they've already done one? Plus, didnt people like fight and die to have GMT? im sure they did it was the battle of the rose or something. Why fight for something thats going to change in a few decades?

It wont change much, and how would it change road accidents?! yeah it would get darker later but what about the people who travel at like 6AM? arent they in the dark now then?!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!