PDA

View Full Version : Biology Questions help. - +28 REP

brandon
17-02-2007, 06:11 PM
+28 rep for every correct piece of help :]

3. What would happen if a plant could not obtain enough of the following nutrients from the soil?

a) Potassium
b) Nitrogen
c) Phosphorus

5. How can using fertilizers to improve crop yield impact on the evironment

6. Carry out some research to identify alternatives to adding NPK fertilizer to the soil - highlighting why they are better for the environment?

8. How do minerals in the soil get to where they are needed in the plant?

Smurtz
17-02-2007, 06:42 PM
I am doing plants in biology aswell

I think this can help in q8

Plants absorb nutrients and water through their roots, but photosynthesis — the process by which plants create their fuel — does not take place in the roots. Photosynthesis occurs in the leaves, which are not underground. Therefore, plants need to get fluids and nutrients from the ground up through their stems to their parts that are above ground level.

Just as animals contain vascular tissues — in animals, blood vessels — plants also contain vascular tissues. The vascular tissues of a plant are the xylem, which transports water and minerals up from the roots to the leaves, and phloem, which transports sugar molecules, amino acids, and hormones both up and down through the plant.
The leaves of plants also contain veins, through which nutrients and hormones travel to reach the cells throughout the leaf. Veins are easy to see in the leaves of a maple tree, for instance. In some plants the veins are hard to see, but they're in there.
Sap is the mix of water and minerals that move through the xylem. Carbohydrates move through the phloem. There are several different "modes of transportation" through the xylem and phloem; their main function is to keep all cells of the plant hydrated and nourished.

Plank
17-02-2007, 06:45 PM
This page (http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/biology/greenplantsasorganisms/1watertransportrev5.shtml) should help.

Roboevil
17-02-2007, 06:49 PM
3a) The plants immune system fails, the leaves become yellow and holes form in them.
b) The leaves go yellow and die. Growth of the plant stops or becomes slow.
c) Root growth is stunted, along with plant growth, the leaves go brown.

brandon
17-02-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm goin for a bit, so I'll rep you all soon.
Thanks a bunch.

piddle2k6
17-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Hmmmm

In question 5 i believe the answer would be along the lines of:

1.It can affect the amount of minerals in certain fruits and plants
2.It can poison the soil
3.They come from non-renewable sources

In question 6:

Examples of naturally occurring organic fertilizers include manure, slurry, worm castings, peat, seaweed and guano. Green manure crops are also grown to add nutrients to the soil.Examples of manufactured organic fertilizers include compost, bloodmeal, bone meal and seaweed extracts. Other examples are natural enzyme digested proteins, fish meal, and feather meal. These are good because Mobilizing existing soil nutrients, so that good growth is achieved with lower nutrient densities while wasting less.They Release nutrients at a slower, more consistent rate, helping to avoid a boom-and-bust pattern. They help to retain soil moisture, reducing the stress due to temporary moisture stress and finally they the soil structure

Enjoy getting A star :)

kk.
17-02-2007, 07:16 PM
3. been posted correctly

5. How can using fertilizers to improve crop yield impact on the evironment - It impacts on the environment because wind can blow the fertilisers into rivers and nearby fields and so it will harm other animals.

8. How do minerals in the soil get to where they are needed in the plant? - minerals get to the plant through water by root hair cells. This then travels up the xylems in the plants and goes to each leaf.

Tristan
17-02-2007, 08:31 PM
You're doing Biology in Year 8/9? Woah...
Not just general Science? You got it tough m8!

Roboevil
17-02-2007, 08:50 PM
You're doing Biology in Year 8/9? Woah...
Not just general Science? You got it tough m8!

What the hell kind of school did you go to? I did biology then.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!