PDA

View Full Version : New ODI rankings..

Smiddy
19-02-2007, 11:03 PM
http://www.****************/uploads/ab5c8e48a6.png

http://img.cricinfo.com/icc/spacer.gif
Although I haven't a clue how they work out the points... yet ;)

If you're wondering why I posted this, it's because since Australia have now lost 5 out of there last 6 ODI's (3 times to England, twice to New Zeland), and South Africa (the Protea's) have taken the top place.

This is the first time Australia haven't led this table since it was invented in August 2003. :o

lol@England being 7th, we still have some improving to do, eh.

Lysine
19-02-2007, 11:55 PM
England will always be low down the table lol

2,000 posts :D

Smiddy
20-02-2007, 12:40 AM
England will always be low down the table lol

2,000 posts :D
If we beat 1 side higher up in the table than us, I think we'd move up considerably.

Lysine
20-02-2007, 12:50 AM
We can beat a few of the teams above us on a GOOD day

Smiddy
20-02-2007, 01:23 AM
I think if we beat Australia again, we'd be either level with Sri Lanka or India o_O

F32
20-02-2007, 05:59 PM
I think this is utter bull the way they work this out.

England havn't played an ODI against many of those teams for a heck of a long time.

It's unfairly judged imo.

It should be:

Australia
South Africa
New Zealand
England
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
India
W.I
Bangladesh
Zimbabwe
Kenya

imo of course.

Smiddy
21-02-2007, 12:33 PM
There is no way I'd put Pakistan below England in ODI atm, Pakistan beat us 5 - 0 in an ODI series in the summer...

I'm wondering if New Zeland will now be 3rd because they beat Australia again (and that was a good match..!)

F32
21-02-2007, 07:20 PM
It's not just team a v team b though.

It's team a v team b v team c and so on.

I don't explain myself well but I dislike the way they rank.

Smiddy
21-02-2007, 11:00 PM
It's not just team a v team b though.

It's team a v team b v team c and so on.

I don't explain myself well but I dislike the way they rank.
I know what you mean, I think.. if i'm right then you'd prefer them to just have individual records for each int country with there ranking against 1 team, not based in a group of teams, yes?

OMGitsaROSS
21-02-2007, 11:03 PM
England tests: good
ODIs: alright...

F32
21-02-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm getting confused.

It should be based on the World Cup only?

Because it's unfair as each team plays other teams more and some none at all.

Smiddy
21-02-2007, 11:43 PM
I'm getting confused.

It should be based on the World Cup only?

Because it's unfair as each team plays other teams more and some none at all.
Ah, but some teams get further in the world cup than others!

They take averages, something like the combined total of all there scores, divided by the number of matches - that's a guess.

rockstar6
22-02-2007, 08:39 AM
kenya are well good

OMGitsaROSS
22-02-2007, 09:22 AM
No they aint.

F32
22-02-2007, 05:28 PM
kenya are well good
The worst team since Scotland.

7. What principles are the ratings based on? The LG ICC ODI Championship table is based on the following seven principles:
i) It is based on individual matches, not on series of matches. While the result of an ODI series will remain important for the competing countries, the ratings treat each match as an entirely separate event. Therefore every ODI will count (apart from No Results) and there is no need for a stipulated minimum series length.
ii) All ODIs are treated equally. Although the ICC Cricket World Cup final will have more at stake than any other match, every ODI is subject to the same formula for ratings purposes.
iii) No account is taken of venue. Whether a side wins an ODI at home, away or at a neutral venue will not affect the ratings.
iv) No account is taken of margin of victory. The rating system records only whether a team has won, drawn or tied each match.
v) More recent results have a greater impact than older matches. To ensure the ratings fairly reflect current form, the weighting given to a particular match reduces as times passes.
vi) The method allows for the different strength of opponents played by different countries. While each team plays each other on a regular basis, a full programme of matches will not take place within the timeframes necessary for a rating system. It is therefore inevitable that some countries will have an "easier" set of ODI fixtures than others and that the method should compensate for this.
vii) The method should be as transparent as possible given the inevitable complexity of any such system. This means that the formula generating the ratings is publicly available. The ratings can be updated by anyone who chooses to apply the published formula. This also means it is possible to work out the effect future results would have on the ratings.

That's taken from the ODI website; note this in there:

some countries will have an "easier" set of ODI fixtures than others and that the method should compensate for this
That's basically what I was trying to say.

rockstar6
23-02-2007, 09:31 AM
The worst team since Scotland.

That's taken from the ODI website; note this in there:

That's basically what I was trying to say.

haha sinche Scotland

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!