PDA

View Full Version : Man United 4 - Newcastle 1

JamesRoe
17-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Manchester United booked an FA Cup final meeting against rivals Arsenal after breezing past a lacklustre Newcastle at the Millennium Stadium.
Ruud van Nistelrooy put United ahead with a shot across goal which ended his nine-game barren run for the club.

A near-post Paul Scholes header and a sidefooted Van Nistelrooy shot added to a dominant United's lead.

Shola Ameobi steered in an effort for Newcastle but Cristiano Ronaldo's shot ended their faint hopes of a comeback.

A vibrant United had stormed out of the blocks with their slick passing and movement too much for Newcastle to handle.

Van Nistelrooy curled in a low shot which had keeper Shay Given scampering across to save and gather at the second attempt.

United appeared to have been given a penalty when Cristiano Ronaldo went down over a Steven Taylor challenge but referee Mike Riley was instead pointing at the winger for diving and he was booked.

Scholes heads past Given's despairing dive for United's second

Sir Alex Ferguson's side were consistently profiting down Newcastle's right and United's pressure finally told when Van Nistelrooy converted Ronaldo's low cross from the right flank.

United pressed for a second and Quinton Fortune volleyed a Gabriel Heinze cross just high while a powerful Wayne Rooney strike slipped through Given's grasp before dribbling just wide.

A second for the Old Trafford side came when Ronaldo crossed and the influential Scholes stole in ahead of the Newcastle defence to head home.

There was little to give Newcastle fans hope and when Nicky Butt gave the ball away in midfield United took full advantage to add a third and send them further into despair.

Van Nistelrooy slotted home as the tie looked all but over after 58 minutes.

Today showed just how priceless Rio Ferdinand is

From K
Have your say on 606

But Ameobi slid a shot through the legs of keeper Tim Howard to reignite the Magpies hopes as they exerted some rare pressure on United.

Given was still the busier keeper and he tipped a Van Nistelrooy chip over while also keeping out a Rooney effort.

And Ronaldo's close range strike after Van Nistelrooy unselfishly found him unmarked 10 yards out completed a comfortable and impressive United victory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Newcastle: Given, Carr, Boumsong, Taylor, Babayaro (Andrew O'Brien 45), Milner (Kluivert 63), Faye (N'Zogbia 45), Butt, Robert, Ameobi, Shearer.
Subs Not Used: Harper, Ambrose.
Booked: Milner, Robert.

Goals: Ameobi 59.

Man Utd: Howard, Gary Neville, Brown, Ferdinand, Heinze, Ronaldo (Smith 78), Keane, Scholes (Fletcher 78), Fortune, Rooney (Giggs 78), Van Nistelrooy.
Subs Not Used: Carroll, Silvestre.

Booked: Ronaldo, Brown, Heinze.

Goals: Van Nistelrooy 19, Scholes 45, van Nistelrooy 58, Ronaldo 76.

Att: 69,280

Ref: M Riley (W Yorkshire).

Looking Forward 2 the final hopefully wont be an anti-climax but both teams should be at full strength and there only chance of Silverware this season 5 weeks to go :)

Michael.
17-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Hehehehe - Newcastle lost.
It may never happen again, but I cheered when Manchester Utd scored!

me_myself_and_i
17-04-2005, 04:44 PM
I hate newcatle!!!! Im more of a arsenal girl myself :)

JamesRoe
17-04-2005, 04:46 PM
I wanted man united and im a man city fan :o just make for a better final :)

bigbutsound
19-04-2005, 07:48 AM
blackburn and newcastle are the onlt 2 teams to have the luky side in cardiff and lose

Syd
01-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Newcastle are a very productive team and their supprters are behind them all they way, as a United fan I was supposed to be happy about this result, although the team got 4 brilliant goals they should've been concentrating and using their ball skills instead of donkey skills on the field.

Keep going Newcastle, your doing well, Shearer mate, you're pushing on and your age is going to catch up weith you.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!