PDA

View Full Version : Sky cuts of virgin media [ntl:telewest] from there channels

-Sweex
01-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Skytv has taken its channels from virgin media [ntl:telewest] because of them not paying the asking price for them to rent there channels. So today 1st march 07 virgin media customers woke up to no tv. Here is the full report..

Sky has dealt a blow to competitor Virgin Media by withdrawing its core channels from the service from 1 March.

Talks between the two companies broke down, with Virgin Media claiming that Sky asked for double the fee previously charged for Virgin Media to broadcast Sky One, Sky Two, Sky Three, Sky News and Sky Sports News on its platform.

Virgin Media has subsequently accused Sky of "stifling competition".

"This outcome has been deliberately engineered

Article continues below
NMA Web Regsiter Call 020 7970 4834

... by Sky in order to suppress competition and coerce Virgin Media's customers into switching to its service by denying them access to the basic channels," said Virgin Media in a statement.

Sky's move to withdraw its channels from Virgin Media follows a similar removal of channels from Freeview.

RadioShack
01-03-2007, 05:32 PM
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=321331 <<

Browney
01-03-2007, 05:43 PM
But thanks for an in-depth review.

-Sweex
01-03-2007, 05:44 PM
this is news YES , its in the news section.
has that got any detailed details ? NO

thats to radio

^.^
01-03-2007, 05:46 PM
bonjela its got alot more correct details than here.
you state "sky takes all channels" no it only takes sky one and it affects not just virgin media but free-view aswel. the costs have almost doubled so they thought it would be unfair to their customers.

RadioShack
01-03-2007, 05:54 PM
bonjela its got alot more correct details than here.
you state "sky takes all channels" no it only takes sky one and it affects not just virgin media but free-view aswel. the costs have almost doubled so they thought it would be unfair to their customers.

what i was going to say. no need to open another thread about it thats all.

and i agree with what 360 said about costs.

Papershop
01-03-2007, 07:03 PM
bye bye sky
i hope there customer fall for thier act of cowerdness

luke-p
01-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Lmao, my dad told me that this was going to happen yesterday... If i owned telewest I wouldent even let virgin rename The entire company... Virgin media, Its like telewest has been bought when virgin have just made a partnership with them...

Browney
01-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Paper, why are sky cowards?

Papershop
01-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Because i believe they are scared that thier rivals will perform better competition, and therefore are very "cowardly" to DOUBLE thier prices. I mean, WHO DOES THAT? Bare loosers do that

Papershop
01-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Lmao, my dad told me that this was going to happen yesterday... If i owned telewest I wouldent even let virgin rename The entire company... Virgin media, Its like telewest has been bought when virgin have just made a partnership with them...
Virgin didnt make a partnership. THEY BOUGHT THE ENTIRE TELEWEST

Browney
01-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Actually, Sky wanted more money for original programs that no one will find anywhere else. 24 was a massive hit, new Simpsons is a steady earner and Lost has exceeded all expectations. Sky think they deserve more money for the programs like 24 that everyone is talking about but Virgin went and had a hissy fit. Because the Mr. Billionare said he couldn't afford it.

the wombats
01-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Actually, Sky wanted more money for original programs that no one will find anywhere else. 24 was a massive hit, new Simpsons is a steady earner and Lost has exceeded all expectations. Sky think they deserve more money for the programs like 24 that everyone is talking about but Virgin went and had a hissy fit. Because the Mr. Billionare said he couldn't afford it.

that's not true.... he never did the deal because it would involve raising the cost that customers pay.

Papershop
01-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Sky is trying to manipulate virgins customers. DOUBLEING the price was not neccasary. And tbh, id laugh so hard if virgin won programs like LOST and 24 in bidding wars when the contract ends.

the wombats
01-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Sky is trying to manipulate virgins customers. DOUBLEING the price was not neccasary. And tbh, id laugh so hard if virgin won programs like LOST and 24 in bidding wars when the contract ends.

i hope virgin outbid sky at the end of the season for prem games. sky will lose alot then and i will be laughing my head off at sky, specially if they don't do a deal with sky to let them use they channels.

Papershop
01-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Cheaters never win. Virgin is taking over, and even sky knows it

Browney
01-03-2007, 07:40 PM
From what I've heard people are leaving VM for this. Which I do think is a bit extreme. Anyway, I'm sure that Sky have got the longest contract possible on 24 and Lost. Although Sky One must've got Lost from C4 somehow so it's all abit complicated.

Russia
01-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Virgin are messing up NTL :\ And LOST got sold from sky....

;'[

timROGERS
01-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Basically, Sky are getting scared because Virgin Media's huge advertising campaign was taking business from them. Therefore, despite their claims that they were planning to put the price up (which I don't beleive in the slightest), I strongly suspect that Sky are trying to steal Virgin Media's thunder - after all, Sky One is a very good channel, and VM were selling it for less than Sky themselves were!

Papershop
01-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Virgin are messing up NTL :\ And LOST got sold from sky....

;'[

proof? cos they still have a contract with it.

And Sky are becoming very scared of what virgin has in plan. A few years back when virgin was going to buy ITV, Sky bought &#163;1m shares in ITV to stop this happening. SKY ARE BARE LOSERS

Browney
01-03-2007, 08:05 PM
proof? cos they still have a contract with it.

And Sky are becoming very scared of what virgin has in plan. A few years back when virgin was going to buy ITV, Sky bought £1m shares in ITV to stop this happening. SKY ARE BARE LOSERS

No. Sky are "bare" business people. They know when to fight for ratings and when to effectively run.

Papershop
01-03-2007, 08:13 PM
ratings for sky one have actually dropped in the past year, so i dont know where your getting your facts from.
THEY ARE LOSERS, THAT WILL GET BEAT ONE DAY

Browney
01-03-2007, 08:25 PM
That is why they are running. :$

They are slipping up and need something, anything at all to hold onto. That's why they are trying to block Virgin from taking the top spot.

I'm gonna stop posting now. Going in shower.

Papershop
01-03-2007, 08:30 PM
How about sky admit defeat then? They are loosers, who could potentially make more money if they let telewest view thier channels. Im sure if they dont, then telewest will win all the popular programs when thier contract ends. There gunna loose sooner or later

01-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Sky are going to lose some serious money by doing this. Although they may get a few customers who decide to leave just for the Sky One programmes, they will be losing the advertising that goes out to the what is it 3 million Virgin Media Customers. Sky make a massive &#163;60m from advertising and i doubt they will make that up in &#163;25 subscriptions from a few switchers. Plus just like when Sky got Lost and 24 people who had terrestrial tv found "other" means of getting to see their favourite programmes. Many people will do the same. Bad move for Sky.

:Hazel
01-03-2007, 10:47 PM
fgs i went to watch sky sports news and its gone :@

beer
02-03-2007, 11:13 AM
i emailed sky on got this reply:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about this.

Unfortunately, Sky One, Sky Sports News, Sky Travel and Sky News are no
longer available for Virgin Media customers to view.

Virgin Media has withdrawn Sky's basic channels from their television
customers following the expiry of the agreement between the two companies.
This was their decision. As a "closed network" only they can decide what to
offer their customers. Up to the final hours we tried time and again to
reach a solution, including proposing a way for Sky to retail channels
directly to cable customers in a way that would cost Virgin media nothing.

Sky knows that its basic channels have many loyal cable viewers and our aim
has been to avoid any disruption to their enjoyment of our programmes. We
are disappointed that we will now be denied access to cable TV homes.

If I may also take this opportunity to explain that we have made repeated
efforts to reach an agreement, but Virgin Media has rejected all of our
proposals, including our latest offer of just 3p per customer per day.

We're committed to bringing you great shows like brand new Simpsons, Lost,
24, Nip/Tuck and Battlestar Galactica. In fact we've increased our
investment in channels and programmes by 68&#37; in recent years.

If Virgin Media decide that it wants to bring back the TV that its customers
enjoy, we are available for talks.

Thanks again for contacting us.

Yours sincerely,

Sky Viewer Relations Team

-Sweex
02-03-2007, 03:51 PM
they couldnt move from vm to sky> [customers] some of them might be in a contract with vm

Browney
02-03-2007, 04:30 PM
If I may also take this opportunity to explain that we have made repeated
efforts to reach an agreement, but Virgin Media has rejected all of our
proposals, including our latest offer of just 3p per customer per day.

I thought as much.

Eventually this world will become a Virgin world. Nearly every aspect of our lives has Virgin somewhere. Sky can't give up now btw because they are still earning.

8Freak8
02-03-2007, 06:33 PM
If Virgin Media turned down 3p per customer per day then they're stupid, because that's 90p per month which is nothing. I guess there must have been other conditions on that deal.

Edit: Maybe Sky wanted 3p per customer of Virgin Media, irrelevant of whether they watched the Sky channels or not. So Virgin Media would be forced to pay for all their customers.

Browney
02-03-2007, 07:09 PM
If Virgin Media turned down 3p per customer per day then they're stupid, because that's 90p per month which is nothing. I guess there must have been other conditions on that deal.

Edit: Maybe Sky wanted 3p per customer of Virgin Media, irrelevant of whether they watched the Sky channels or not. So Virgin Media would be forced to pay for all their customers.

Fair enough but I do think that 3p is the best offer they are going to get.

Poison.,
02-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Freeview get to keep sky sports news etc till summer.

Sunny.
02-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Gdgd. Atleast freeview have it.

Browney
02-03-2007, 08:44 PM
But unless sky and freeview companies make a deal sort things out you won't have it for long.

xxMATTGxx
02-03-2007, 09:01 PM
VM Rock and Sky are just stupid really. Freeview users should get sky one, Hope they make that happen sometime :)

Browney
02-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Sky said they would work their hardest so freeview customers can keep certain sky channels.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!