PDA

View Full Version : The Internet's future - [Closes 14/04/07]

---MAD---
14-03-2007, 05:30 PM
We would have never guessed about 3 years ago (or more) that the Internet would be a place for video streaming and blogging. What do you think is the future for the Internet? Will it stay as it is? Will it improve? How will it improve?

As Internet connections speed up and as PCs get more powerful, something is bond to change, we don't need all the power for nothing, surely it will be used for something on the net ;).

Start debating :8!

Jordy
14-03-2007, 05:40 PM
I think the internet will stay pretty much the same but it'll just get way more popular with more business's beginning to have websites. Also the price of having a broadband connection is coming down and possibly will be free in the future with your phone line, so it'll become more popular. Also I think blogs are becoming way more popular, especially with new blog sites such as google's bloglines.

hmm Google will continue to dominate the internet as they just get bigger, there ad's are the 2nd biggest in the UK, they bought youtube, work with sky now etc. I still have a feeling they'll buy Ebay/Skype.

darkchicken101
14-03-2007, 05:43 PM
The internet will get bigger. That is why we need more power. Anyway, this is hardly a debate. There is no question to argue over.

---MAD---
14-03-2007, 05:43 PM
I think the internet will stay pretty much the same but it'll just get way more popular with more business's beginning to have websites. Also the price of having a broadband connection is coming down and possibly will be free in the future with your phone line, so it'll become more popular. Also I think blogs are becoming way more popular, especially with new blog sites such as google's bloglines.

hmm Google will continue to dominate the internet as they just get bigger, there ad's are the 2nd biggest in the UK, they bought youtube, work with sky now etc. I still have a feeling they'll buy Ebay/Skype.
I doubt ebay and skype would give in specially since they are making a new video streaming TV thing (not sure what you call them :p).

And @the above - debates dont need to have questions, just need topics and people's different opinions create a debate ;).

TrueColours
14-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Microsoft will become unpopular and a new brand will take over the computers making a whole new internet software where you can actully use the internet as a speaker! so if you go on habbo and dont have speakers, you could use a website what picks up the sounds and plays them on the site :o, OMG WICKED IDEA BYMYSELF! I Cant belive I just thought of that, just think if google or someone very good at coding picked this up and actully invented it! ALSO the sound will be played on the boot speakers.

EDIT // 1000TH Post but, it will become my 999th post soon :P

Nemo
14-03-2007, 05:53 PM
i think the internet will turn into the internet on futurama, u can like go into it like virtual reality, that will be the life:8

Mentor
14-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Get bigger, faster, have more on it. Thats pretty much it. Not much of a debate o.0

Colin-Roberts
14-03-2007, 06:09 PM
i think everyone will start watching tv on the computer and all majour satelite comings will movie to broadcasting online.

Oni
14-03-2007, 06:29 PM
You wont buy games you will download them. [iTunes for games?]

Mentor
14-03-2007, 06:32 PM

Direct2Drive has been doing this for years o.0

i think everyone will start watching tv on the computer and all majour satelite comings will movie to broadcasting online.
Quite a few already do, although most are still region locked to specific arias.

i think the internet will turn into the internet on futurama, u can like go into it like virtual reality, that will be the life
Secondlife nearly offers that already, give the VRML a few years and it probably will be.

But still none of that effects what the internet is.

darkchicken101
14-03-2007, 06:32 PM

You can already do that.

Nemo
14-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Secondlife nearly offers that already, give the VRML a few years and it probably will be.

But still none of that effects what the internet is.not like second life, not at all.. like u move ur arm and they will to, also it will look exactly like u.. also no more lag =D and like i really dont like second life..

RedStratocas
14-03-2007, 06:56 PM
What most big economic people and experts say is that eventually, computers and the television will merge, and they'll be one thing. Because essentially, they work the same way. They have the same type of cable and everything. And with that, comes TV shows online, more media based on the web. Which will obviously bring more ads.

Mentor
14-03-2007, 07:03 PM
not like second life, not at all.. like u move ur arm and they will to, also it will look exactly like u.. also no more lag =D and like i really dont like second life..

o.0 what differnce does that make, i can play the same computer game with a keyboard and mouse, joy stick, steering wheel, even a point and click gun system? VR sutes are just another input device, which if you have a few grand to spare are avaible

TheLastShadow
14-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Internet should be free. All these companies making a profit off of it. My state in USA might be giving out a state wide internet access via WiFi. Heard it on the news.

GommeInc
14-03-2007, 07:18 PM
This is a really bad debate. You can pretty much do everything already "/ The only tiny differences are:

1. Faster internet surfing.
2. More people using it.
3. More things on websites.
4. More TV streaming.
5. Possibly more downloadable games through companies like GAME etc. EA already offer this.

---MAD---
14-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Microsoft will become unpopular and a new brand will take over the computers making a whole new internet software where you can actully use the internet as a speaker! so if you go on habbo and dont have speakers, you could use a website what picks up the sounds and plays them on the site :o, OMG WICKED IDEA BYMYSELF! I Cant belive I just thought of that, just think if google or someone very good at coding picked this up and actully invented it! ALSO the sound will be played on the boot speakers.

EDIT // 1000TH Post but, it will become my 999th post soon :P
I doubt microsoft would become unpopular or whatever. There isnt enough competition for that to happen yet :p.

Oni
14-03-2007, 07:37 PM
When I say download games I mean mainstream wise most people with download games rather than buy then in a shop.

Tomm
15-03-2007, 07:59 AM
The websites will become more like applications.. we have already taken a big step towards this with AJAX.

Internet connections will speed up and content will be avalible easily (e.g HD Movies, TV, software, games, etc.) Note the keyword easily, yes you may be able to get this stuff today but it takes a while to actually get the content and not all companys offer this.

Mentor
15-03-2007, 08:26 PM
The websites will become more like applications.. we have already taken a big step towards this with AJAX.

Internet connections will speed up and content will be avalible easily (e.g HD Movies, TV, software, games, etc.) Note the keyword easily, yes you may be able to get this stuff today but it takes a while to actually get the content and not all companys offer this.
Another really big step forward is in firefox 3 for website apps, it apparnly offers a whole host of functinalty to allow websites to store data to your hdd (not free access, it would all be safe etc, a sand box type system) still this pretty much allows the webapps to develope far more ln to fully featured applications in a far more desktop like way, with alot of loading time problems removed. Still remains to be seen how far this stuff will actualy go in ff3 though its still early days for it. (most info based on neowin article a while back)

:Hazel
16-03-2007, 12:51 PM
tbh my take on it is that with technology today anything is possible & i would think more developments are due over the next few years.

Swastika
16-03-2007, 05:56 PM
To me, there isnt much that will change the internet's future.
I mean we can already download PS2/XBOX/PSP/WII games from warez websites and have been able to do for years.
I guess the only thing that can realy happen is more people use the net, faster broadband, free broadband and possibly merging the TV and PC together.

Ashhizzle
16-03-2007, 06:17 PM
download like, massive files in seconds (H)

and mabye Futurama internet, as said ealier. thats cool -gets attacked by ads-

TheLastShadow
16-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Holohgraphic?

mangle
16-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Someone told me that the government was shutting down the internet only to open an INTERNET 2!!!!1. This would be bought by companies apprently.
Yeah i see it staying the same for a while

Mentor
17-03-2007, 08:45 PM
If by internet 2 you mean the switch IPv6 kinda, although its not any more corporate owned than the last, it would be immpossible since the internet is globaly accessable. IPv6 just proves massive amounts more ips to allow for a greater number of connections as well as improved dns lookup and other stuff like that.

brandon
17-03-2007, 08:46 PM
I think the internet will be so advanced, it will be a teleporting station. A bit like Narnia, on your Dell and your Compaq ;D

:Liam
22-03-2007, 01:15 PM
I think it will be like futurama too like you put on a hat and gloves and you actually go inside.

NekkLe
22-03-2007, 02:23 PM
The 'futurama' thing won't happen for sometime I think, people predicted the millenium to have hovering cars etc.

The internet will just get faster, bigger and more populated. Its already become a place of business and thats only the beginning.

-Soph-
01-04-2007, 03:26 AM
a lot more features/effects, TV and the internet will likely merge more than it has already, a load more people using it, it will grow.

Doubt anything major will happen in our lifetimes, when my dad was a kid they said by 2000 everyone would be driving around in hover cars etc.

Jordy
01-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Doubt anything major will happen in our lifetimes, when my dad was a kid they said by 2000 everyone would be driving around in hover cars etc.

Well they are kind of right. Because in the Year 2000 it was possible, just it's expensive and unpopular.

My 666th post! Mw ha ha ha

Mr.OSH
06-04-2007, 06:15 PM
We can't really tell it all depends on what large companies invest in and who comes up with what ideas and what people will be interested in. :)

:Liam
06-04-2007, 09:31 PM
People said the virtual reality thing with gloves and hat ect. wont happen for a while. Ill give it 4-6 years. As wii are currently developing a tool for wiis that allow you to put on a hat and gloves and go "inside the game".
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8531/virtualrealitynb7.jpg

GJay
06-04-2007, 10:19 PM
The internet will eventually run out of space within the next 10-20 years and a new system will be set up called the enternet.
This is what some fellow students and I found out when we were at college studying the internet and it's uses.

Mr.OSH
06-04-2007, 11:39 PM
The internet will eventually run out of space within the next 10-20 years and a new system will be set up called the enternet.
This is what some fellow students and I found out when we were at college studying the internet and it's uses.

How can it run out when servers are being developed and hooked up to the Internet to hold data all the time also domain extensions will just be replaced with new ones the Internet can't physically "run out of space". :)

Jazza
13-04-2007, 01:00 AM

Sorry but thats one of the silliest things thats ever been said in the history of the world, are you under the delusion that thw whole internet is on 1 computer? The internet is millions of servers connected together, it could never run out of space as you can add as many servers to it as you want. Your college teacher is either pulling your leg or an idiot

Ekalb
13-04-2007, 07:56 AM
People have been suggesting something like this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MX5OOZJABCM
Warning: Possible innapropriate content.
Maybe in a few hundred, scratch that, a thousand years?
Video gaming like that, having the models an exact replica of you and being all virtual reality would be AWESOME.
However more achievable goals would be;
Faster, cheaper and more popular.

2hd.
13-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Internet should be free. All these companies making a profit off of it. My state in USA might be giving out a state wide internet access via WiFi. Heard it on the news.

Now that would be cool, Government Internet is the way forward. (but in America I could see Bush having 1001 restrictions/regulations.)

Djcafc.
13-04-2007, 08:36 AM

but it would probably have a really low limited time on it per month???

alexxxxx
13-04-2007, 08:58 AM
but it would probably have a really low limited time on it per month???

Why would it?

Luke
13-04-2007, 11:32 AM
the whole world offering free wifi internet, it might happen soon to me, cause i heard newcastle was gonna become one of the first city's in U.K. to become a wifi city :D

anyhoo, tht would be cool, i'd have internet on my laptop anywhere :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!