PDA

View Full Version : How can we revise!

Haemogloben
26-04-2005, 07:56 PM
Simply, I'm frustrated.

My exams are next week and we are expected to revise (obviously). But is this physically possible if you get set 3 homeworks a night?

Surely the school don't want you up till 11pm do they?

Maybe I should lanuch a petition and mail it to Downing Street.

Tell me your view.

Treben :@

sampson123
26-04-2005, 07:58 PM
i guess you mean SATS? Ive got them next week :@ yeh i know ive just been doing a silly history essay. Whats the point in that?? i havnt got history SAT it just gets in way of revision

Haemogloben
26-04-2005, 08:05 PM
I have what's probably my version of the SATS next week. Since I live in Northern Ireland it's called the Key Stage 3's (KS3)

Then in 4 weeks I have the school internal exams on every subject. Next week is the same as you though.

English, Maths and Science.

AKA: Government assessed pointless exams.

Kardan
26-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Yep, Send it.

Homework homework homework then revision.

Thats what I happened for me sats last year :P

Had no soical life then. HELP MEH! t'WAS WAS HORRIBLE

Yayse
26-04-2005, 09:09 PM
i've got maths and science sats on the 3rd and 4th (i did english in yr8) and i no what u mean treben. i get around 3-4 homeworks everynight and i do try 2 fit it in but i cant. i figured as ive got a 4 day weekend, inset on fri bank holi on mon, i'd do at least 4 loads of revising a day

phew! tough work

partie2
27-04-2005, 05:08 AM
well maybe they are setting you the homewrok to do and then you can revise from it. But you can allways go into your teacher and say can we get less ghomewrok becuase of exams and i am trying to revise but i carnt becuase we are getting to much homework but you can allways go to a revision site and then print a few pages of stuff which you need to revise of then when you have some spare time give it a read.

Also if you are trying to revise of a revision website like bitesize dont go on habbo or anything else like that beucase otherwise you will get destracted and you wont get your revision done.

Jinxxed
27-04-2005, 06:06 AM
But is this physically possible if you get set 3 homeworks a night?
Lol I get 5 pieces of Homework every night and my school might start to give us 6! Plus we have Tests at the end of every term :@

Phlyer
27-04-2005, 06:29 AM
No teacher apart from english maths and science is allowed to give us homework untill the end of the tests

Beeniee
27-04-2005, 07:33 AM
I have my SATS next week aswell. My school are just tacking the mick, the amount of home work they give us is just so unfair. :(

I ant doing none of my homework. :D I don't need to worry that much anyway my teacher said SATS are not very important! :8

Seacat
27-04-2005, 08:50 AM
I think like someone already said the homework will be to make you revise..

I have my GCSEs in about a month and they keep setting us homeworks that are there to help us revise, otherwise I wouldn't know where to start revising! :p

If the work they're setting you is pointless then start a petition! :eusa_danc

Soyers
27-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Im also doing my GCSEs and its no fun :o Ive been writing up piles and piles of essays and doing all the forms of course work thinkable :$
I cant wait for the exams to be completed!
To actually have some me time [when im not trying to be all smart and clever] will be so blissful!

Tips? Make sure you take breaks and work when ever your brain isnt fizzling. Get plenty of sleep [most important], this should lower the chances of your brain exploding.. eew. Dont have any stimulants after 7pm, so no coffee, tea, chocolate, sugars so on so forth.
Set yourself a timetable and stick to it, so sleep at 10pm wake up at 7am, go to school at 8, home at 3pm, rest, have a snack and watch tv until 4, english untill 4.30, science till 5, break, art till 6, watch the simpsons ;), dinner at 6.30, history at 7.30, then rest untill 9 or 10 [or earlier if you can] then go sleep.
Dont forget to have all that weeks work done on friday so you can take a breather at the weekend!
Its really hard work but itle all be worth it when you get your bits of paper that say 'clever person' on them :)
Do write a letter, or five, you should always be heard.
Anyway let us know how it goes!

---MAD---
27-04-2005, 02:12 PM
I think its not fair, but lifes a test anyway.
We get exams in year 2 all the way until we graduate and get a job!
Then from then we work our hairs of so we dont get fired and get some money

You will never just sit down and actually have nothing to do!
Even when your old, retired, youll have excersizes to do and go to hospital on check ups and family visits blah blah.

We need a break!
Say after year 9 we get 1 a big years break! Then get on with out gsce then a level then uni then blah blah.
Lifes hard when its exams that are life threatening!

The people that take it the easy way out will find later on they will have a harder life!
So i suggest you revise and yes set a timetable OR just read say 1 hour a day of 1 subject then the next day the next subject for 1 hour etc etc.
Remember to take cold baths, they relax your brain AND then watch tv, get a good nights sleep and off you go to the exam room, happy, confident and prepared!

YEAH RIGHT! lol

But anyway seriously, sats arent life threatening GCSEs are and so are alevels.
Dont worry too much about sats.

Heres a fact most of you didnt know about.

Sats were exams you just took without any revision or anything and were no big a deal, it was just to see the average of the levels in that grade in that country (uk).
They wanted to see what school does how good etc. But now, now that the teachers and parents see the results its more of a problem!
Teachers use the sats you put you in sets the year after in gcses thats why they are VERY important now!

Just remember, the exams last about 1 week. After that the time is all ours until the next year.
BOY I CANT WAIT TILL MAY 20TH IS OVER WOOOOOOOOO NO EXAMS! NO WORRYING NO NOTHING!
:)

Hope that helped :P

Steph
27-04-2005, 03:04 PM
really the S.A.Ts are to see how much you've learnt since year 6, but it's not fair because they can't judge 3 years work on one or two tests. What if you're just having a bad day? And yeah it's mainly to put you in sets in year 10, but what if you do well in class and overall are a good student, then you don't do well in your S.A.Ts so they lower your set. It's stupid. I'm dreading mine though. What Shakespeare is everyone doing?

Beeniee
27-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Last year they made us write a FULL story in only 30 mins. =.=

They don't give us enough time to plan and put effort into our work :( When you worry about the time and having to complete it in such little time makes you worry and rush your work :@ Then you end up getting low scores.

Haemogloben
27-04-2005, 03:55 PM
External exams (AKA SATS, AKA Key stage 3's where I come from) are next week.

Then there's the internal exams based on every subject you do. The problem is im getting say a Geography homework which I could do without right now.

Pulchritudinous
27-04-2005, 04:07 PM
I havn't really had any homework, if I get homework in Science, Maths or English, it's revision stuff, we've been revising at school for about the past 2 weeks or something.

I have a peice of paper in my lessons, and when an important bit of info about the SATS comes along, I write it down, and revise off of that.

It's definately good for English, if you get told things like 'Annotate your questions, plan what you will write, use time carefully', I write all that down.
Or...look at old test papers for year 7/8.
You can also just read through your exercise book.

Rarelime
27-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Last year they made us write a FULL story in only 30 mins. =.=

:o i remember that.. something about a lost diamond :s, but don't worry too much about the sats, stick to a schedule, set yourself some times to revise but don't over do it as it will just frustrate you.

AngJum
27-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Yeah, well I'm suppost to be starting my Exam timetable on the 3rd of May, but I have already been surprised with 2 exams croping up.. the school hasn't issued our timetables yet, and I find it very unfair that we are meant to revise for all of our subjects and we don't even know exactly when all of our exams are, I know it's hard to issue all of them but it's a school; they should be sorted out!

Surname
27-04-2005, 05:27 PM
No teacher apart from english maths and science is allowed to give us homework untill the end of the tests

You're very lucky, :) (Well you do have tests, I suppose that's not lucky)...

jammy06
27-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Well i advise you to quit habbo untill the end of your tests as habbo is so fun but ill be elaving for a week or 2 soon :(

AngJum
27-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Well i advise you to quit habbo untill the end of your tests as habbo is so fun but ill be elaving for a week or 2 soon :(
Tis good advice. and I am going to be :)

Steph
27-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Yeah the tests are too long/they don't give you enough time. Before, they tested it on adults (a science paper), it took an adult 25 minutes to READ all of the test, never mind answer them. My science teacher is mates with a S.A.T examiner marker, and he mananged to find out that on paper 5-7 there is 75 marks and you get 60 minutes, and paper 3-6 there is 90 marks and 60 minutes. Apparently, they shortened it by 3 questions. Angjum if you mean you don't know what exams you are doing on which day, I do, and seen as its a Government Test kinda thing, doesn't everyone have to do it on same day and time? If so, I can let you know

AngJum
27-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Yeah I did mean that, but I didn't take the same subjects as you so it wont be the exact same day.. and I live in Scotland so it's probs diff here

Tyche
27-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Well I don't know about you but my school signed every pupil onto this website called samlearning.com as it's useful for revision from SATS all the way up to A level. If you don't have it I suggest you talk to your school about getting it :) I know it's a bit late to ask them now, but it might help you in the future.
As for homework there's not much you can do except turning off habbo(x) and knuckling down. <3

Edit: I just realised you can sign up from home - although it costs :P Butttt there's a 14 day free trial!

Pringle.fun
27-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Yes! I also liv in Northern Ireland so that'd b KS3s although, at the minute I am trying to finish an essay, and I still have to art. I don't even have time to revise!

AngJum
28-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Ooh ok guys :p I got my exam timetable today! woo ^_^

.Ex-
28-04-2005, 03:21 PM
I got GCSEs, to revise you need to find motavaiton, have a reward like an amazing holiday if you do well, or a new cd, just reward yourself for working hard!

:.bEx.:
28-04-2005, 03:22 PM
yeah is every1s exams the same for sats like on tuesday both science exams
wednesday maths exams
thursday 2 english
friday 1 english

do ya all have that?

Steph
28-04-2005, 03:29 PM
wednesday maths exams
thursday 2 english
friday 1 english

do ya all have that?
Yeah, thats same as me

AngJum
28-04-2005, 08:09 PM
wednesday maths exams thursday 2 english
friday 1 english

do ya all have that?
None of the red

JamesRoe
28-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Dont lol it works for me :p

Angel-Light
29-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Good luck ang, thankfully I just finished the exams Ang is gonna do and they were hard :( If you took Chemistry revise topic 6 and 7 a lot :p I think I have failed some but I don't really care it's standard grade that really matters :D :eusa_pray

I had the same problem, I didn't even get revision notes until the day before the exam!!!!!! It's a pain, then I didn't have an exam 1 day and the teacher's didn't have a clue to where we were supposed to go! My school really needs to get sorted.

---MAD---
29-04-2005, 12:18 PM
wednesday maths exams
thursday 2 english
friday 1 english

do ya all have that?
i have the science and math exams the same day as you :p

Tw!xter
29-04-2005, 12:20 PM
i love not being at school anymore and having no exams to face :p

AngJum
29-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Good luck ang, thankfully I just finished the exams Ang is gonna do and they were hard :( If you took Chemistry revise topic 6 and 7 a lot :p I think I have failed some but I don't really care it's standard grade that really matters :D :eusa_pray

I had the same problem, I didn't even get revision notes until the day before the exam!!!!!! It's a pain, then I didn't have an exam 1 day and the teacher's didn't have a clue to where we were supposed to go! My school really needs to get sorted.
Thank you, I have most General and Foundation exams, but others are Credit.. :) I did some pass papers for Science and passed general, and passed my french general pass paper and I have my timetable sorted, so all I gotta do now is revise :)

Syd
01-05-2005, 04:18 PM
What you need to do my friend is draw yourself up a timetable. Say how long it'll take you to finish your homework check it through, say a couple of hours, then do say half an hour of revision on one subject take a break then do another half an hour. Make sure you get to bed around 10ish though, you don't want to leave it too late otherwise you'll forget what you've learnt! Hope that helps guys :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!