PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 737-800 lost contact.

Adam!
05-05-2007, 08:35 AM
At 0005GMT, a Boeing 737-800 (The same aircraft I will be flying on, on Wednesday) has lost contact with air traffic control in Africa.

There has been no reports of a crash, but there is no possible way that a 737 is still in the air, so it must have crashed.

Hopefully there are some survivors, but thats looking pretty slim..

RIP 115 people.

---MAD---
05-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Yeah I heard about that on the news. So many planes seem to lose contact after I started watching Lost lol :(.

Adam!
05-05-2007, 09:31 AM
The BBC's Karen Allen in Nairobi says the Boeing 737-800 may be part of a new fleet bought recently by the airline, raising questions whether other aircraft will be taken out of service.

I hope thats airline specific, all Ryanair have is 737-800's and if they where taken out of service.. I wouldn't be able to get to Spain.

However, should a issue arise with the aircraft design thereselves, I would be more than happy not to travel until its sorted out lol.

---MAD---
05-05-2007, 10:39 AM
I hope thats airline specific, all Ryanair have is 737-800's and if they where taken out of service.. I wouldn't be able to get to Spain.

However, should a issue arise with the aircraft design thereselves, I would be more than happy not to travel until its sorted out lol.
lol, indeed :P.

Yoshimitsui
05-05-2007, 10:42 AM
If they can't find it soon the whole 737 fleet will be grounded, if it has crashed it must be in a very remote area.

Edit, it's been found crashed in Cameroon.

Kardan
05-05-2007, 10:56 AM
5 Britons and an american were on board.

efq
05-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Aww.

Theres no reason without ATC . In situations It should attempt to make a emergency landing if needed and hope for the best theres no crash via air
traffic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6627485.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6627485.stm)

Kenya plane 'crashes in Cameroon'

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42888000/jpg/_42888937_woman_ap203b.jpg Worried friends and relatives are gathering at Kenya's main airport

A Kenya Airways plane with 114 people on board has crashed in southern Cameroon, state radio reports.
The flight, which originated in Ivory Coast, was reported missing on Saturday after it failed to arrive in Nairobi.
Kenya Airways has not confirmed the crash. It said people from at least 23 different nationalities were on board, including five Britons.
Kenya's national carrier has a good safety record. However, 169 people died when one of its planes crashed in 2000.
The BBC's Karen Allen in Nairobi says the Boeing 737-800 involved in Saturday's incident was just six months old and was part of a new fleet bought by the airline.
Our correspondent says it will raise questions of whether other aircraft will be taken out of service. Adam :p <

Bad weather
Flight KQ 507 originated in Abidjan in Ivory Coast and left Douala in Cameroon at 0005 local time (0105 GMT) on Saturday. It was due to arrive in Nairobi at 0615 (0315 GMT), but came down near the town of Niete, Cameroon state radio said.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42888000/gif/_42888591_kenya_cameroon_ic0505.gif
Kenya Airways only said the last communication with the missing plane was received by the control tower in Douala, Cameroon, shortly after take-off.
The company's chief executive, Titus Naikuni, said a distress signal was detected on the west coast of Africa and a Cameroon search and rescue team dispatched at about 0900 GMT.
Poor weather is reported to be hampering the rescue effort. A team of Kenya Airways and government officials, led by Transport Minister Chirau Ali Makwere, are travelling to Douala.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif
Government spokesman Alfred Mutua said: "We will do everything to unearth the cause of this accident in order to prevent it from occurring again."
A crisis management centre has been set up in Nairobi. A number of worried friends and relatives have been gathering at the capital's Jomo Kenyatta International Airport.
"We have been told to sit and wait," one relative of a missing passenger told AFP news agency.
"A lot of people are crying, people are asking what is happening." The Kenya Airways website says the fleet is 23 strong. It is 26&#37;-owned by Air France KLM's Dutch company KLM. In January 2000 a Kenya Airways plane crashed into the sea after taking off from Abidjan airport in Ivory Coast killing 169 people. There were 10 survivors.

NATIONALITIES OF MISSING
35 Cameroon
15 India
9 Kenya (crew)
7 South Africa
6 China
6 Ivory Coast
6 Nigeria
5 Britain
3 Niger
2 Central African Republic
2 Democratic Republic of Congo
2 Ecuatorial Guinea
1 Ghana; Sweden; Togo; Mali; Switzerland; Comoros; Egypt; Mauritius; Senegal; Congo; Tanzania; US; Burkina Faso
3 unidentified
Source: Kenya Airways

VPSwow
05-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Surly you would see a plane crash unless it was in the middle of the ocean and no boats were out.

I hate flying as it is and when i hear things like this it makes it worst lol.

EDIT : its been found

efq
05-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Surly you would see a plane crash unless it was in the middle of the ocean and no boats were out.

I hate flying as it is and when i hear things like this it makes it worst lol.

EDIT : its been found
Flying is the safest way to travel.

FACT: If you flew everyday of the year for 7 hours. You would need to fly for ateast 10 years to get a 50% chance of crashing

OMGitsaROSS
05-05-2007, 01:11 PM

You would "/ They would rent aircraft from another company last minut.

efq
05-05-2007, 01:16 PM

This only happerns every so many years. Dont worry.

Adam!
05-05-2007, 02:06 PM
You would "/ They would rent aircraft from another company last minut.

LOL - Ryanair have near enough 140 aircraft, which are all nearly in use at the same time.. Do you really think they have the time, money or paitence to do that?

Aww.

Theres no reason without ATC . In situations It should attempt to make a emergency landing if needed and hope for the best theres no crash via air
traffic.

ATC is basically none existant in Africa, yes you get the odd few communications, but their equipment get stole so regularly, they fail to replace. Oh yeah, im been deadly serious.. The AT controlers in Africa proberbly double up as baggage handlers.

Your wrong, we don't know what the situation is yet, so an emergency landing may not even have been required.. Obviousaly if it was, the pilot would have had knowlage that he wouldnt be able to make an emergency landing without crashing, he would have gone out to the sea :)

Shawnstra
10-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Lucky you. If you took that flight one week early something unfortunate might happen :eusa_pray

xxMATTGxx
13-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Never Mind.

alexxxxx
13-05-2007, 09:16 AM
[B]
LOL - Ryanair have near enough 140 aircraft, which are all nearly in use at the same time.. Do you really think they have the time, money or paitence to do that?

Well they wouldn't run them for a loss, but they would for a profit, otherwise they'd have to refund everyone right?

OMGitsaROSS
13-05-2007, 09:18 AM

[B]ATC is basically none existant in Africa, yes you get the odd few communications, but their equipment get stole so regularly, they fail to replace. Oh yeah, im been deadly serious.. The AT controlers in Africa proberbly double up as baggage handlers.

Your wrong, we don't know what the situation is yet, so an emergency landing may not even have been required.. Obviousaly if it was, the pilot would have had knowlage that he wouldnt be able to make an emergency landing without crashing, he would have gone out to the sea :)

You actually ******* love RyanAir

Mario
13-05-2007, 09:34 AM
You actually ******* love RyanAir
agreed xD
planes are cool though.ilt

-Soph-
14-05-2007, 05:43 AM
;3482100']Well they wouldn't run them for a loss, but they would for a profit, otherwise they'd have to refund everyone right?

it'd probably work out cheaper to refund.

Adam!
14-05-2007, 06:46 AM
it'd probably work out cheaper to refund.

Especially since the usual fare is &#163;0.01 each way..

-Soph-
14-05-2007, 12:31 PM
I always end up paying like 30 quid on the return flight..

Adam!
14-05-2007, 03:30 PM
I always end up paying like 30 quid on the return flight..
Thats including taxes which don't go to Ryanair! :)

CrazyColaist
02-06-2007, 06:51 PM
At 0005GMT, a Boeing 737-800 (The same aircraft I will be flying on, on Wednesday) has lost contact with air traffic control in Africa.

There has been no reports of a crash, but there is no possible way that a 737 is still in the air, so it must have crashed.

Hopefully there are some survivors, but thats looking pretty slim..

RIP 115 people.

were just glad it wasnt you.

Edited by Yoshimitsui (Forum Moderator): PLease don't bump old threads, thanks.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!