PDA

View Full Version : No playground for 'super school'

Dan2nd
06-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Teachers hope the move will help students learn
The most expensive state school in the UK will not have an outdoor space for students when it opens in September.
Alan McMurdo, head of Peterborough's £46.4m Thomas Deacon Academy, said: "I think what the public want is maximum learning."

But Tim Gill, who led an official inquiry into children's play, said the idea "borders on inhuman".

The 2,200-pupil "super school", part of the government's city academy scheme, will replace three separate schools.

'Maximum learning'

Mr McMurdo said the main aim of not having a playground at the school was to help pupils' learning.

He told BBC News: "This is a massive investment of public money and I think what the public want is maximum learning.

"They recognise that youngsters can play in their own time, play in their local communities.

"What I want from my teachers is maximum teaching and I want maximum learning from the youngsters."

'Extremely damaging'

However, independent play expert Tim Gill said the concept sounded "crazy".

"It borders on inhuman," he said.

He added: "It's symptomatic of a way of thinking about children that we have to control and programme and manage every aspect of their lives.

"That seems to me to be extremely damaging in the long-term because children need to have some time where they take responsibility and they make everyday decisions about what they're doing."

The academy is being built in Queens Gardens, Peterborough, as a replacement for John Mansfield School, Deacon's School and Hereward Community College.

Construction work on the Norman Foster-designed building on the eastern side of the city started in July 2005.

The city academy programme aims to revitalise secondary schooling in areas where local schools could benefit from re-organisation.

I'd so hate to go to a school like this.. how boring :(

Acid
06-05-2007, 07:09 PM
OH NO I LIKE A NICE PLAYGROUND IS NICE FOR PLAYING INSIDE

GommeInc
06-05-2007, 07:45 PM
It won't work. They should use Recess: The Movie as an example.

Axel
06-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Eww it's near me. Tis gonna be crap.

Immenseman
06-05-2007, 07:53 PM
That school is going to be f-u-n.

Mentor
06-05-2007, 08:52 PM
That long without a break to wake up will result in half the schools population haveing curled up and goon to sleep by the afternoon "/ That or so board they just mess around as much as can be got away with, and probably somewhat more just to get out of the class, resulting in alot less being learnt in the long run... way to maximise learning.

Axel
06-05-2007, 09:08 PM
I thought their was at least a break, just not a playground. If there's not breaktime, that'll totally suck.

DiscoPat
06-05-2007, 09:30 PM
That will be fun, the reason I'm saying this is because think about it, the kids will get bored and do pranks n stuff all the time and there reasons will be good as they dont get a break n stuff..?

:Liam
06-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Thats Crap! I go to that school!! I asked the head teachers PA about this and she said "the head teacher doesnt want to comment on this yet"! Its well suckish!, I dont wanna leave the school either as its the only place I can do the International Bacoloriate near me :( :( :( SUCKISH! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :

VPSwow
06-05-2007, 09:33 PM
No playground. well i guess this school will start with 2,200 pupils and after a year only have 200 pupils.

Axel
06-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Thats Crap! I go to that school!! I asked the head teachers PA about this and she said "the head teacher doesnt want to comment on this yet"!

Have fun in your crappy Peterborough School :)

06-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Have fun in your crappy Peterborough School :)
Thanks :( I like deacons atm and next year it'll go all suckish! :( :( :( Are old head teacher would never let it happen :(

Axel
06-05-2007, 09:39 PM
You should go to Hinchinbrooke School down the motorway, tis alright.

06-05-2007, 09:52 PM
I'll probably go to oundle if anything fails. First im gonna protest. Im gonna talk to my tutor on monday and hopefully it'll get sorted. Im so ******* well ****** of my head teacher is a ******* ******* the ******

06-05-2007, 09:52 PM
sorry for the double post, lag :P

OmgitsAmanda
06-05-2007, 09:57 PM
I got to an academy, but we have a playground and have a 15 minute break.
Tbh if my school decided to this I would leave it, I couldnt go to a school like that one.

Ashhizzle
06-05-2007, 10:39 PM
lol at that school.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!