PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Flying Advice ;)

Desjardens
19-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Hey Everyone

I just had an experiance with me and my family travelling and I thought i'd pass on this advice to you!

When you are travelling through any airport in the USA, give yourself lots of time! I was travelling through Chicago a while back, and we were just going to make our flight. We got to security, but we looked like we wanted to hurry along or be very quickly checked. My whole family was taken off to the side, and my dad got a large search, my mom got her bags searched, and they looked through my computer and electronics.

It wasnt the best experiance, so make sure you dont look rushed or hurry to catch your plane, you could end up in the same situation I got into xD

Shawnstra
21-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the advice :)

DiscoPat
21-05-2007, 12:44 PM
probably thought you were muslims lol :P

Edited by J1MI (Super Moderator) - Please don't post racist remarks.

chelskii00x
21-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Im So Confused

-Soph-
21-05-2007, 01:50 PM
they seriously thought I had a bomb in my bag when we went through chicago, they took my bag off me... :rolleyes:

:Hazel
21-05-2007, 02:03 PM
they will be like that now though due to 9/11 you cant blame them.

Dan2nd
21-05-2007, 07:04 PM
I always get searched in the USA lol

Bef
22-05-2007, 11:42 PM

You do realise he has an islamic sign in his siggy and therefore i assume follows islam himself?

Best advice before flying... two shots of scotch and a couple of minitures on the plane.

Ranger
23-05-2007, 01:14 AM
Never run through, lol.

And carry small bags of stuff in clear plastic bags.

-Soph-
23-05-2007, 05:34 AM
they will be like that now though due to 9/11 you cant blame them.

I know that, but I don't know what triggered them to go to crazy over my bag, I've been routinely searched a lot now, but they actually took my bag from me this time, all I had in there was my ipod, foundation (this was before august so the liquid laws weren't in place..), and i think I had some polos too..

hmph.

Dentafrice♥
23-05-2007, 05:43 AM
thank you for the advice

dannyisnotamazing
23-05-2007, 05:50 PM

lmao ]:

DiscoPat
24-05-2007, 03:51 PM
You do realise he has an islamic sign in his siggy and therefore i assume follows islam himself?

Best advice before flying... two shots of scotch and a couple of minitures on the plane.

try teling them that lol :rolleyes::P

-Soph-
25-05-2007, 05:35 AM
is it true that once your over international waters anyone can drink?

i've flown many times, but i've never came across this, apparently its true.

Adam!
26-05-2007, 11:26 PM
is it true that once your over international waters anyone can drink?

i've flown many times, but i've never came across this, apparently its true.
Ish..

However, the duerestriction of the Atlantic Ocean is shared by both Ireland (Shanwick) AND Canada (Gander) - Where the drinking laws are both 18, so as you are in their airspace, your in there country, and their rules apply.

Most airlines will use the rules from their home country (British Airways, will use English) laws for the whole entire journey.

And.. People randomly get stopped in airports, usually every 1 in 6.. Every airport I go through I get searched, no question about it, not once have I been through an airport and not got searched..

I got searched in Waterloo the other day, security must like touching me..

Dan!
26-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Ish..

However, the duerestriction of the Atlantic Ocean is shared by both Ireland (Shanwick) AND Canada (Gander) - Where the drinking laws are both 18, so as you are in their airspace, your in there country, and their rules apply.

Most airlines will use the rules from their home country (British Airways, will use English) laws for the whole entire journey.

And.. People randomly get stopped in airports, usually every 1 in 6.. Every airport I go through I get searched, no question about it, not once have I been through an airport and not got searched..

I got searched in Waterloo the other day, security must like touching me..

dont some airlines follow the rules for part of the world they are flying in ?

Adam!
26-05-2007, 11:31 PM
dont some airlines follow the rules for part of the world they are flying in ?
no :) ..

DiscoPat
27-05-2007, 11:15 AM
On the big ships the captain makes his own laws in the international waters, he even has the right to officialy marie 2 people n stuff, and he is allowed to bury somone to the see if somone dies, which brings the question, he can kill somone and throw them out, and no one will know..

xxMATTGxx
27-05-2007, 02:51 PM
On the big ships the captain makes his own laws in the international waters, he even has the right to officialy marie 2 people n stuff, and he is allowed to bury somone to the see if somone dies, which brings the question, he can kill somone and throw them out, and no one will know..

I think the last bit is aloud of crap. What your saying is, the captain of a cruise liner can get you killed and chuck you off freely :l

Desjardens
09-06-2007, 01:32 AM

My skin is so white in rl :( it wont tan :(

-Soph-
11-06-2007, 07:40 AM
I think the last bit is aloud of crap. What your saying is, the captain of a cruise liner can get you killed and chuck you off freely :l

well I guess.. technically it is true.

Vause
11-06-2007, 10:09 AM
ooer, ty for the advice.

cocaine
11-06-2007, 05:48 PM
security must like touching me..

dont flatter yourself.

Kieran
11-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Actually,
Some Airlines do follow the law of where they are flying over. I get searched whenever I wear a belt or have an MP3 player on me. My laptop and my MP3 regularly get swabbed and traced for drugs (Thats what their machines check the white pads for)

Adam!
11-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Actually,
Some Airlines do follow the law of where they are flying over. I get searched whenever I wear a belt or have an MP3 player on me. My laptop and my MP3 regularly get swabbed and traced for drugs (Thats what their machines check the white pads for)
Actually, no airline in the world does.. So where you got that information from, I don't know.

You'd get searched for the belt, if it set the metal detector off, but not for MP3 player.. Millions of people take them every day, it's nothing..

Your laptop will always get screened seperatly at security, if you ask for it too be.. If not, it'll pass through NORMALLY.. And certainly not searched for drugs, thats customs job.. Not security!

So your either lieing, or being told really dodgey information..

-Soph-
12-06-2007, 12:18 AM
i've had my mp3 player swabbed before in chicago...

Desjardens
12-06-2007, 12:55 AM
They've taken my;

• iPod
• iBook
• Cell Phone

All swabbed for explosives and drugs. The people have no real reason to do it, they just need to as a requirement for CATSA

Adam!
12-06-2007, 06:38 AM
i've had my mp3 player swabbed before in chicago...
Maybe once, but not every time..

I guess in USA it's like searching then, every one in so many they take items..

However, personally i'd say that job was for customs "/

Fonejacker
12-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Hey Everyone

I just had an experiance with me and my family travelling and I thought i'd pass on this advice to you!

When you are travelling through any airport in the USA, give yourself lots of time! I was travelling through Chicago a while back, and we were just going to make our flight. We got to security, but we looked like we wanted to hurry along or be very quickly checked. My whole family was taken off to the side, and my dad got a large search, my mom got her bags searched, and they looked through my computer and electronics.

It wasnt the best experiance, so make sure you dont look rushed or hurry to catch your plane, you could end up in the same situation I got into xD
dam so they found ur bombs and cocain?

Kieran
12-06-2007, 08:35 PM
So clearly Adam you don't know what you're talking about...

They regularly swab peoples electronics and place the swab in a machine to detect for drugs and chemicals.

Adam!
12-06-2007, 08:38 PM
So clearly Adam you don't know what you're talking about...

They regularly swab peoples electronics and place the swab in a machine to detect for drugs and chemicals.
Clearly, there is different regulations in different countries..

Not sure them machines even exist anywhere bar HM Customs and Excise in airports here..

Kieran
12-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Ive seen it done outside of the US. All it is is a machine that they place white discs into that then do a quick trace test

Adam!
12-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Ive seen it done outside of the US. All it is is a machine that they place white discs into that then do a quick trace test
So you've seen it in UK airports?

I find it hard to believe that security do that.. I've had a full tour of behind the scenes at Manchester Airport, including security.. They never mentioned that at all, yet they mentioned other far more confidential stuff..

Now if you have evidence to prove me wrong, then I might accept im wrong - But until then, I still say it doesn't happen in airports within the United Kingdom.

-Soph-
13-06-2007, 05:48 AM
oh, I forgot to mention, when me and my friend flew to turkey out of manchester, she did actually get her walkman swabbed.
So they do do it :)

Adam!
13-06-2007, 10:07 AM
oh, I forgot to mention, when me and my friend flew to turkey out of manchester, she did actually get her walkman swabbed.
Ern, we'll soon find out ;)

-Soph-
13-06-2007, 06:39 PM
you think i'm lieing? **** you.

You don't know it all, so stop pretending that you do, because you most defiantly do NOT.

Adam!
13-06-2007, 07:37 PM
you think i'm lieing? **** you.

You don't know it all, so stop pretending that you do, because you most defiantly do NOT.
Did I say you was lieing?

Watch your language, it's not appropriate.

I never claimed to know it all, lets just say I know a hell of alot more than you! :)

And I am still right, I know they do "swab" electronic equipment, but not for drugs ;)

xxMATTGxx
13-06-2007, 07:38 PM
I had my mobile swabbed. I'm sure they thought I was some terrorist and i was only 10 back then! Froobs. I see what they do when I go to Zante at the end of July now I'm 14 xD

Adam!
13-06-2007, 07:43 PM
I had my mobile swabbed. I'm sure they thought I was some terrorist and i was only 10 back then! Froobs. I see what they do when I go to Zante at the end of July now I'm 14 xD
Everyones a potential suspect babez.

-Soph-
13-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Did I say you was lieing?

Watch your language, it's not appropriate.

I never claimed to know it all, lets just say I know a hell of alot more than you! :)

And I am still right, I know they do "swab" electronic equipment, but not for drugs ;)

Yes, well you gave that impression.

I don't care if it's not appropriate, i'll say what I want thanks it's not as if you've never swore, besides, it was in *'s so you can't exactly moan about it.

Adam!
13-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Yes, well you gave that impression.

I don't care if it's not appropriate, i'll say what I want thanks it's not as if you've never swore, besides, it was in *'s so you can't exactly moan about it.

LOL..

You've changed, lots.. Your just some angry yank now.

-Soph-
13-06-2007, 11:15 PM
i'm not allowed to have my views?

hmph... I always thought people are angier in the UK

rampageric77
23-06-2007, 02:58 AM
I found this thread SUPER entertaining for the fact that I am American and Chicago is the closest international airport to my house so I know customs and everything through it.

Yeah they do the swab test but only when coming through the international terminal. The other checkpoints do not have it, but all planes coming from abroad land in a separate terminal. You go through customs and then go through airport security to get into the domestic terminal. This is the only checkpoint I see them swab at.

As for the fact they checked you for "looking rushed," I find hard to believe. Laptops are usually always checked a little more because they can be hollowed out and have hidden things inside. Also if you set of the metal detector, you are pretty much guaranteed a big check. Also even before we put the liquid rule in place, liquids still set off an "alarm" in the screeners head and you were checked.

Also a little known thing but also some people are pre-picked to be checked . You can tell by looking at your ticket and usually there are is something along the lines of xxxx in the top right. If you have this you are getting checked;). However, usually only late bookings, people who ask to go on stand-by, people who purchase one way tickets, or people who forget a form of photo ID are given these markings.

Hope this clears a few things up:eusa_whis

lScottl
23-06-2007, 12:57 PM

I managed to get, Nintendo DS, Nintendo Gameboy Color, iPod and an MP3 player through, (and this was in May) from Birmingham Intl. (I was also going to Turkey) they cant be that strict.

Decapitated!
23-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Dont wear studded belts
i did and i got fully searched they woudent even allow me to take the belt off THEY had to do it
i was like "CAN YOU GET ANY CLOSER TO MY DAMN CROTCH AREA"

CrazyColaist
23-06-2007, 10:36 PM
My mum got searched coming back from fentura

Recursion
09-07-2007, 09:34 AM
I think they think i look like a terrorist. In Lanzarote when ever I go through security for our return flight to the UK i get searched ;|

In Luton Airport I got PSP, DS, Video Camera, Digi Cam, Phone and Laptop through, tis not that hard lol, They made me boot into XP on my laptop to proove it was real though :|

Luton dont make us take our shoes off, yet Lanzarote does :S

Jambe
10-07-2007, 12:26 PM
ty but thompson airways is the acctualy best :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!