PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Bale Offer Accepted.

Hoodstar
23-05-2007, 11:50 AM
source:skysports.com

Tottenham have agreed a fee with Southampton for their prodigious left-back Gareth Bale.

Spurs are long-term admirers of the 17-year-old Welshman, who is highly sought after by much of the Premiership.

Manchester United, in particular, have been mooted as a possible destination for Bale, but Spurs have made the first, decisive move.

Bale is still short of 50 appearances for Saints but has consistently caught the eye, not least with his prowess from a dead ball, and at 16 years and 315 days became the youngest player to represent Wales against Trinidad & Tobago last May.

Reports this week suggested Saints became resigned to Bale's exit after missing out on promotion to the Premiership via the play-offs.

:Hazel
23-05-2007, 11:52 AM
He was eye catching against us last year, no surprise that someone has made a move for him.

Hoodstar
23-05-2007, 11:58 AM
I was suprised to see that Spurs had the leading bid.. Was thinking Man Utd or Arsenal would of made a move by now.

But Spurs are in need for a Left-Back 'cos that Lee-Pyo is a joke.. Wonder how much the sale was for.

iMegz.
24-05-2007, 11:32 AM
He has been making a name for himself this season.

Good choice to go to Spurs. Might not get much first team action if he went to Man United or Arsenal, He would just be put back out on loan maybe..

Jordie
24-05-2007, 02:59 PM
yeah not worth 10 million, ridiclous money

summer
25-05-2007, 06:53 AM
I haven't seen much of him, but I still think we could of got better for £10million. I'm just happy we finally got a decent (well, if he lives up to all the hype) left-footed left-back.

Jamie!
25-05-2007, 10:59 AM
at least he has made the right move, cause he is more or less guarenteed first team football at the lane so it's all good.

:Hazel
25-05-2007, 11:44 AM
10 million was defo too much, i'd say 3-4 at the most.

Jam
25-05-2007, 03:24 PM
As A Soton Fan I Think This IS Getting Rediculous. KEEP THE PLAYERS INSTEAD OF SELLING THEM!

Jordie
25-05-2007, 03:26 PM
As A Soton Fan I Think This IS Getting Rediculous. KEEP THE PLAYERS INSTEAD OF SELLING THEM!

no offence to southampton but i surpose he wants to be playing at the highest level, 10 million is good buisness aswell:)

Hoodstar
25-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Well.. its £5M garunteed fee, later rising to £10M depending on appearances I guess.. slightly like Man Utd deal for Wayne Rooney, instalments if the club win a trophy or gain european qualification or whatever.

source: bbc.co.uk/sport

Southampton said Spurs will make an immediate payment of £5 million, with further additional payments that could see the transfer fee rise to £10m.
The 17-year-old Bale said: "I'm just excited to be coming to a massive club like Spurs. It's pushing forward and I want to be part of its future."
Bale had only one year left on his Southampton contract.

The youngster had also been linked with moves to Arsenal and Manchester United.

Spurs had a bid of about £10m accepted by Saints in January, but Bale rejected the transfer at that time.F ollowing Southampton's failure to gain promotion this season the prospect of first-team football in the Premiership at Tottenham looks to have been enough to change his mind.

"I really want to play in the Premiership," added Bale. "That's very important to me and this is a fantastic opportunity. I've thought long and hard about it and feel the time is right to move on.

"I could have gone in January but I wanted to try and help Saints win promotion. I felt I owed them that and I didn't want to move mid-season.
"I wanted to keep my focus on learning and developing my game at a critical stage of the campaign."

Bale made his debut as a 16-year-old last year for Saints - becoming the second youngest to ever play for the club - and this season he has become a regular for Southampton and Wales.

He became the youngest Welsh international when he played against Trinidad & Tobago in May last year, setting up a late winner.

Tottenham sporting director Damien Comolli said: "We have been following Gareth for a long time now and have been very tenacious, so we are absolutely delighted to get him here.

"He's a player of great quality and, as we always say, our aim in each window is to improve the quality of the squad. He has the ideal combination to become a top, top player."

DCeption
27-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Overated.

Dentafrice♥
27-05-2007, 07:49 PM
good, he's a great player

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!