PDA

View Full Version : Houllier Left Lyon

Minstrels
25-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Houllier steps down as Lyon coach

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42972000/jpg/_42972117_houllier203.jpg Houllier won back-to-back titles at the Stade Gerland

Lyon coach Gerard Houllier has quit the six-time French champions. Houllier won the title and the French Super Cup in each of his two seasons at the Stade Gerland and reached the Champions League last eight in 2006.
The Frenchman previously spent six years at Liverpool between 1998 and 2004 when he won six trophies, including a cup treble in 2001.
And Houllier, 59, who has also coached France, Lens and Paris St Germain, has been linked with a return to England.
He has been mentioned as a potential successor to Stuart Pearce at Manchester City and a move to Dynamo Kiev has also been rumoured.
While he was reportedly in the running for the Newcastle job before Sam Allardyce took the helm.
Houllier maintained Lyon's domestic supremacy but failed to match that on the European stage.
After an unbeaten group campaign this season they fell at the first hurdle in the knock-out stages to Roma.
While last season, having again come out unbeaten and on top in a group including Real Madrid, they crushed PSV Eindhoven before falling to AC Milan in the quarter-finals.
Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas had stated that he would endeavour to keep Houllier on board but seemed to be preparing for every eventuality last week.
Aulas said last Sunday in remarks reported by L'Equipe: "A good president must have foresight.
"I don't envisage the departure of Gerard Houllier but I have planned ahead with the board and I will not be deprived."

Could be coming to Manchester City? :D

Hoodstar
25-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Hm.. probably short-listed, but Sven said he'd love to manage Man City.

Which one would work better? Sven or Gerard?

I'd say Sven.. Gerard had a heart-attack when Liverpool were winning.. he'll go into a coma when he see's how Man City play :|

:Hazel
25-05-2007, 10:37 PM
I reckon he'll have a 2nd shot in England.

Minstrels
26-05-2007, 07:24 AM
I reckon he'll have a 2nd shot in England.

At Manchester City? :eusa_danc

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!