PDA

View Full Version : Sixth Form/College Options

Hatake Kakashi
26-06-2007, 08:42 PM
What does everyone want to do for their Sixth Form/College Options? My Sixth form choices are:

Accounting
Business Studies
Economics
IT/Computing(where avaliable)

,Jess,
26-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Media
English Lit
Maths
Psychology
RE

today
26-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Meida Studies
Business Studies
Ict Applied
Maths GCSE (retake)

Soka
26-06-2007, 09:42 PM
accounting, maths, chemistry - definites
+ general studies - compulsary
+ ict key skills - compulsary
+ one more out of economics/computing/physics

Nixt
26-06-2007, 09:44 PM
I've taken -

English Literature,
20th Century History,
Human Biology,
Critical Thinking,
Law.

Ramones
26-06-2007, 09:48 PM
business
economics
psychology
photography
:8

Bomb-Head
26-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Chemisty
Human Biology
ICT
English Literature xD

Ostinato
26-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Computing
Administration
Modern Studies
Psychology

Kissed
26-06-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm taking..

Media Studies
P.E
Business studies
ICT (applied)

I feel so un-academic compared to everyone ;l

EDIT: Oh and night time photography course :]

Lµke
26-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Ive chosen to go to college and do;

Applied ICT
Physical Education & Sports Studies
Physcology
Sociology

I might however drop physcology because my cousin currently does it, and she said its basically a glorified science unit.

Pawf
26-06-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm currently studying:

English Language
German
ICT
Government and Politics

EDIT: All at A2 level

Nixt
26-06-2007, 11:05 PM
Ive chosen to go to college and do;

Applied ICT
Physical Education & Sports Studies
Physcology
Sociology

I might however drop physcology because my cousin currently does it, and she said its basically a glorified science unit.

Oh I took the Psychology AS already and it's really good imo. The stress module is indeed basically science but I thought it was really good :).

Lµke
26-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Oh I took the Psychology AS already and it's really good imo. The stress module is indeed basically science but I thought it was really good :).

Is there loads of 'sciencey' bits in the course? If theres only bits ill stick it out though.

Hecktix
26-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Next year I'm staying on in school in the sixth form and studying:

- English Literature
- Performing Arts
- Pyschology
- Law

Jamie!
26-06-2007, 11:34 PM
i'm going to 6th form next year and doing..

- physical education
- communications
- geography
- leisure & recreation

aswell as the compulsory ones.

@K
27-06-2007, 11:50 PM
My 6th form choices are:
History
English Literature
IT
and
Government and Politics.

Frodo13.
28-06-2007, 10:37 AM
History
Law
Business Studies
Goverment and politics...might change this to English lit though

Nixt
28-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Is there loads of 'sciencey' bits in the course? If theres only bits ill stick it out though.

Well in the AS (for Psychology A, which is what I did) you start off with Cognitive and Developmental Psychology. So you do about the memory and how it works and things and then how we develop attachments as children, what problems failing to form these attachments cause etc. I don't think that that section is very 'sciencey' at all tbh.
Then you have physiological psychology and individual differences. This is the 'sciencey' bit really. You do all about stress and how the body reacts to stress, which is all biology basically - like the immune system, cardiovascular problems etc. Then, still in the stress bit, you learn about dealing with that stress, some being biological methods some being psychological methods.
For the individual differences bit, you learn about anorexia, bulimia and explanations and definitions of abnormality. Once again, some of this has biology in it but the rest are all psychological explanations and things.
Finally you do a section on Social Psychology and Research Methods. This is all about obedience to authority and conformity and things, not very 'sciencey' in terms of tradtional science at all. With the research methods part (i.e. the boring part), you learn how a psychologist properly conducts his study with the appropriate methods etc.

Overall, it has quite a bit about biology but it's interesting I think. Of course, psychology is a science so you have to expect a few things with traditional sciences but I think most people would enjoy it if they are ready to remember a lot of facts and details.

edit: lol at essay.

Lµke
28-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Well in the AS (for Psychology A, which is what I did) you start off with Cognitive and Developmental Psychology. So you do about the memory and how it works and things and then how we develop attachments as children, what problems failing to form these attachments cause etc. I don't think that that section is very 'sciencey' at all tbh.
Then you have physiological psychology and individual differences. This is the 'sciencey' bit really. You do all about stress and how the body reacts to stress, which is all biology basically - like the immune system, cardiovascular problems etc. Then, still in the stress bit, you learn about dealing with that stress, some being biological methods some being psychological methods.
For the individual differences bit, you learn about anorexia, bulimia and explanations and definitions of abnormality. Once again, some of this has biology in it but the rest are all psychological explanations and things.
Finally you do a section on Social Psychology and Research Methods. This is all about obedience to authority and conformity and things, not very 'sciencey' in terms of tradtional science at all. With the research methods part (i.e. the boring part), you learn how a psychologist properly conducts his study with the appropriate methods etc.

Overall, it has quite a bit about biology but it's interesting I think. Of course, psychology is a science so you have to expect a few things with traditional sciences but I think most people would enjoy it if they are ready to remember a lot of facts and details.

edit: lol at essay.

Thanks for that Garion, i think i'll take it now, because im quite good at biology due to me taking science at GCSE, and also PE.

+rep.

Virgin Mary
03-07-2007, 06:22 PM
English lang
English lit
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
History
Communication studies
Drama
Performance studies

Aflux
04-07-2007, 08:46 PM
ICT
Business Studies
Media Studies

I should've took Graphic Design but I never took it in 9,10,11 so it would virtually pointless although it would've been a big plus :(.

Am I the only one taking 3 subjects and not more?

I feel that if I took 3 I'd have more time to concentrate on those subjects.

Pawf
05-07-2007, 01:09 AM
Am I the only one taking 3 subjects and not more?

I feel that if I took 3 I'd have more time to concentrate on those subjects.

At AS Level you can afford to take 4 and have enough time to put the right amount of effort into each subject. It is recommended that you drop to 3 at A2 Level in order to stay on top of the more demanding modules of your course

PaintYourTarget
05-07-2007, 01:41 AM
I wanted to go to Welbeck Defence College, but my Sarge said I missed the date - Bollucks.
I was going to take:
Maths - Compulsary
Physics - Compulsary
Electronics
Government and Politics.

But, If I stay at my own 6th form I'll do;
Physics
Maths
Photography
Art

or whatever the Army want me to. They own my *** now =[

Nightrose
05-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Im only allowed to do one course as im doing a national diaploma basically i wouldnt have the time to do a's apart from retaking some of the other ones =/ well thats what i got told.
i wish i was doing more
but the ocurse takes 2 years and seems to be very differcult. :(

im doing BTEC National Diaploma in Travel and Tourism
2 years
Full Time
& Covers like 18 units
i get certificiates (sp) for most units like the crusie sector and Travel adgents x

.Nickie
06-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Hehe i dropped all my AS's i done last year and started a new college.. and gonna be doing
Art & Design BTEC National diploma
:) which is like 13 and half hours a week of art for 2 years! [doesnt like the idea of the drawing a naked person tho in r/l its a women too :(] but i can go straight to uni after and do my teaching degree with it :) wooot

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!