PDA

View Full Version : Torres close to signing for Liverpool

Shoovers
29-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Taken from icliverpool.co.uk

LIVERPOOL have agreed to smash their transfer record to land number one target Fernando Torres.
And Anfield officials are now “very confident” the Reds will get their man.
The Reds have agreed a deal in principle with Atletico Madrid just short of the £27m get-out clause stipulated in Torres’ contract, and hope to convince the player to accept personal terms early next week.
Reds boss Rafa Benitez remained tight-lipped today, saying: “All I can say is that Fernando Torres is one of the players we have looked at,” but Liverpool are now very optimistic Torres will line up at Anfield next season.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icliverpool/jun2006/6/1/009FF789-00BF-BE08-A380DF34504C6466.jpg

Jordie
29-06-2007, 08:38 PM
im not sure about him..:S

hes not worth that much and from what ive seen he doesnt set la liga on fire:(

only time will tell i surpose..

Shoovers
29-06-2007, 08:50 PM
im not sure about him..:S

hes not worth that much and from what ive seen he doesnt set la liga on fire:(

only time will tell i surpose..

True but he's only young so he's still got time to learn and adapt to the prem

Jordie
29-06-2007, 09:06 PM
True but he's only young so he's still got time to learn and adapt to the prem

yeah but its whether he CAN adjust to the premiership
some players can never adjust to english football and have to return to a foreign country.. i think they could of got him a little cheaper

Sharpsterz
29-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Oh He's Good

Basically He's Got Bout 12 Years To Adapt
Lol

summer
29-06-2007, 10:07 PM
That is a LOT of money for a premiership unproven player who only actually got 14 goals last season.

29-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Great player

£27m is actually not bad for a player of his quality

summer
29-06-2007, 11:21 PM
14 La Liga goals in a season and unproven to the premiership. I wouldn't even pay £20million for that.

gosling
29-06-2007, 11:25 PM
There's a lot of potential, £27M pricetag's hefty but he's an asset to Athletico so fair does to them. I remember when he was pictured with YNWA on his armband...a sign of things to come? Anyway, hope he can perform in the prem and doesn't do a Morientes! Tbh, for the money that's being asked, he'd be considered a flop with anything less than 12 goals next season. Good luck to him!

summer
29-06-2007, 11:28 PM
There's a lot of potential, £27M pricetag's hefty but he's an asset to Athletico so fair does to them. I remember when he was pictured with YNWA on his armband...a sign of things to come? Anyway, hope he can perform in the prem and doesn't do a Morientes! Tbh, for the money that's being asked, he'd be considered a flop with anything less than 12 goals next season. Good luck to him!
He needs to be a 20-goal a season player to justify that price tag.

gosling
29-06-2007, 11:46 PM
He needs to be a 20-goal a season player to justify that price tag.Possibly asking too much for his first year. I know McCarthy's come along and shocked a lot of people but this guy's gonna have a massive weight on his shoulders and the pressure will be on from day one (as it was with Drogba in his early days). If he's unable to score 15 goals in his home league, I can't see him netting more than 10 in the prem next year. For £27m, there'll be critics, so he needs to start well and avoid a drought. He could turn out be the biggest flop to grace this league, or possibly Rafa's greatest ever signing...only time will tell! :D

summer
30-06-2007, 07:45 AM
Possibly asking too much for his first year. I know McCarthy's come along and shocked a lot of people but this guy's gonna have a massive weight on his shoulders and the pressure will be on from day one (as it was with Drogba in his early days). If he's unable to score 15 goals in his home league, I can't see him netting more than 10 in the prem next year. For £27m, there'll be critics, so he needs to start well and avoid a drought. He could turn out be the biggest flop to grace this league, or possibly Rafa's greatest ever signing...only time will tell! :D
I'm not expecting that in his first season, I'm saying that if he doesn't turn into that within the next 2 or 3 seasons then it's a very big waste of cash!

Antallica
30-06-2007, 09:12 AM
I think hes a good player and may do good for liverpool.
better than bellamy and crouch have done.
Kuyt And Torres up front. ;]

Andeeh
30-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Hmm quality player.

27 mil.

not worth it.

but if he does good at Liverpool its good :P

English
30-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Has anyone actually seen him play? Because a lot of people are questioning the price tag but when you see how he plays (or how he has been playing in La Liga) then you won't comment. Totally worth the price tag. People also questioned Chelsea over buying Drogba for £24million, it took him 1 season to settle in and he's a proven scorer throughout. Torres is still extremely young, so if he starts scoring and playing well for us then surely it won't seem like much money if he's still there in a good 5-10 years time. I hope Bellamy goes now, so then we can have Torres upfront with Kuyt (but obviously Kuyt will sit back a bit and help the midfield as he's been doing) and then Crouch for sub. Seems like a pretty good attacking force actually, but I really want Jermaine Defoe/David Villa (David Villa being totally out of the question once the £27m. sale goes through) to partner Torres.

Hoodstar
30-06-2007, 11:42 AM
This deal bemuses me from a Man Utd point of view.

A player who has been linked with the Manchester side for the past 2 - 3 seasons, he eventually becomes available & Man Utd just sit there & stay quiet? I know they've spent a considerable amount of money alredy on 3 players, but for someone who they've been tracking for so long! and just to do nothing? Seems weird to me.

Also, with the probablity that the Anderson deal might be have to be held back a year or two due to work permit complications, they'll have the spare funds to purchase a striker of Torres' quality & price tag.

Seems like he's heading off to merseyside.. tis' a shame, I think Fergie could of made Torres a decent player, playing alongside Giggs, Scholes, Nani, Ronaldo ect.

HabboIsKrouts
30-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Now that he's goign to a proper team with much better players, lets soo what he can do? :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!