PDA

View Full Version : Do I go to the most up-tight school ever?

AndyDude312
05-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Recently, my school have been obsessed with being known as a "healthy school". They've taken all the unhealthy foods of the menu (which I'm ok with cos I bring my own lunch) which was stupid cos that's the only thing people buy but today, they went too far.

Today they announced that they were going to ban certain foods that your allowed to take in your lunchbox! That is stupid! They also said that they would have "lunchbox inspections" (which is stupid seeing as its a school of 1050 pupils) to inforce this new rule. What they gonna do, give us a detention for bringing in a chocolate bar?

Is anyone else's school this mad?

VPSwow
05-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Wow i heard of my cusns primary school doing that. But my school have just removed chips, pizza and everything off the menu so i go to the fish and chip shop at dinner because my mum got me an "out of school pass" where i am ment to go home for lunch.

Liam!
05-07-2007, 03:41 PM
ye u do.
&no, hardly anyone at my school even has lunch inside the school.

dirrty
05-07-2007, 03:44 PM
at my school they dont really have anything like that. they try to encourage healthy eating but no one eats at school anymore. everyone just goes sainsburys and buy whatever there.

Lozzoling
05-07-2007, 03:44 PM
blame jamie oliver

2 years ago u cld get various chocolate bars [not that many]

but theres cool stuff like pasta and sweet and sour pork

AndyDude312
05-07-2007, 03:47 PM
blame jamie oliver

I totally agree. The pain and suffering that man has caused our stomachs, it really is unbelievable!

lAdmire
05-07-2007, 03:48 PM
That's dumb. How can you stop someone from eating something? You can get them to eat healthier food but once in a while you can have a chocolate bar or something. If you're bringing anything unhealthy when they do the inspection [before I mean] just hide it in your pocket or in your bra if you're a girl or inbetween your pants && your boxers if you're a boy. My school doesn't force us to eat anything or to not eat anything. We have pop machines, healthy food stands && unhealthy ones. So, yeah. But our cafeteria is like in the mall in the food court. It has different stuff.

&& Andy, your sig is very annoying!

dirrty
05-07-2007, 03:49 PM
what jamie oliver has done is something which everyone should be happy about. even though everyone likes food like chips, burgers etc. we have to cut down on that otherwise we will just be a fat country, or fatter. if you want to be obese and not have a balanced diet, then go right ahead. but what jamie oliver has done, has redefined school eating so everyone is more healthy.

i cant see the problem with that at all.

Yoshimitsui
05-07-2007, 03:51 PM
That is a bit over the top. But mine has kicked out everything unhealthy an gone a bit crazy, some things are discuting aswell. But i would say your school is silly for doing that.

What are you not allowed?

AndyDude312
05-07-2007, 03:53 PM
what jamie oliver has done is something which everyone should be happy about. even though everyone likes food like chips, burgers etc. we have to cut down on that otherwise we will just be a fat country, or fatter. if you want to be obese and not have a balanced diet, then go right ahead. but what jamie oliver has done, has redefined school eating so everyone is more healthy.

i cant see the problem with that at all.

I was jokin.

At school I have a sarnie (with brown bread) a packet of low-fat crisps (Walkers Baked or Potato Heads or Cheddars) A packet of assorted fruit from tescos, A yoghurt, a small chocolate biscuit and a fruit juice. I still fink that the school has gone way to far and actully quite insane and nutty.

They haven't said exactly what we are not allowed yet...

Frodo13.
05-07-2007, 03:55 PM
People should just be given a choise what they want to eat. If they want to eat a burger go ahead. If you want a salad, go ahead!

It is abit stupid with the 'lunchbox inspections' as I belive people should have the choise, I use to take loads of junk to school, but give some of it anyway because I just didn't want it.

dirrty
05-07-2007, 04:01 PM
People should just be given a choise what they want to eat. If they want to eat a burger go ahead. If you want a salad, go ahead!

It is abit stupid with the 'lunchbox inspections' as I belive people should have the choise, I use to take loads of junk to school, but give some of it anyway because I just didn't want it.
but children will just go for things which they know they really like, such as crisps, burgers etc. having schools cutting down on certain types of food and introducing new heathier meals will set the children up to make better choices for themselves in the future.

i do agree that the inspections are stupid as the parents should be providing decent food for their children instead of fatty foods, so the inspections shouldnt happen. if the parents want to give children certain meals, then its their fault if their child becomes obese.

at my old school, while i was there they cut down on unhealthy foods and served better meals. as a "treat" they gave us chips every friday. at my sisters primary school they have a healthy menu which, when i saw it, wanted to go to her school for lunch :P lol

timROGERS
05-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Our school does that - at the start of this school year, the took the unhealthy stuff of of the menu and said we couldn't have crisps and stuff in our lunches. Which of course no one listens to :P

stratosphere
05-07-2007, 04:52 PM
We should go over to Jamie Oliver's house and knock him out.

scubadiva
05-07-2007, 04:52 PM
lol, easy way around that one. Don't put the banned food in your lunchbox put it in your bag or pocket. Our school went healthy, but they're not goi that far with 'lunchbox inspections :P'

-:Undertaker:-
05-07-2007, 05:04 PM
It has gone stupid, yes the aim may be to make pupils be more healthy but at the end of the day they will just go home and eat chocolate, crisps and mcdonalds.

I would just bring it in, if you want to eat chocolate then you bloody well can, if they give you a detention just don't go and argue against it.

Frodo13.
05-07-2007, 05:06 PM
but children will just go for things which they know they really like, such as crisps, burgers etc.

I only really think this is nessicary for children in primary schools, as they most probably don't know the downside to the sort of foods you mention. Don't know if this happens at all primary schools, but when I was at my infants and junior school, the people who had hot dinners, the school would choose what the kids ate. And with the people who had packed lunches, they HAD to bring sandwhiches, and they HAD to be eaten before anything else.

AndyDude312
05-07-2007, 05:12 PM
the people who had hot dinners, the school would choose what the kids ate. And with the people who had packed lunches, they HAD to bring sandwhiches, and they HAD to be eaten before anything else.
My primary school had that rule. "Sarnies bein eaten b4 anythin else" I mean, what was that about? Difference with my primary is that there were set options for hot dinners

Adam!
05-07-2007, 05:15 PM
My headmaster went crazy at me because I was eating crisp at school? - He kept asking where I got them from, rofl..

It's pathetic, I don't even eat at school anyway - It taste mingin.. I much prefer to wait til I get home and have something nice that my mummy cooks. Mmmm pasta bake mmmmmmmmmmmm yum yum.

AndyDude312
05-07-2007, 05:17 PM
You've made me hungry for pasta bake now!

LLLgonza
08-07-2007, 06:42 PM
They are not allowed to search your lunchbox.
The DfES laid down certain rules when they introduced the new Healthy Schools scheme. One of those rules was that Schools have no "right" to search your lunchbox, school bag or locker for food, and even if they did, they couldn't confiscate any item, or punish you for any item in your lunchbox, due to the fact some people have unhealthy things in their lunchbox, and thats their only meal in a day.

It is also an infringement of your Human Rights to search and confiscate any food in your posetion, and you can take them to court and they are forced to pay damanges of upto 5'00£

Recently, my school have been obsessed with being known as a "healthy school". They've taken all the unhealthy foods of the menu (which I'm ok with cos I bring my own lunch) which was stupid cos that's the only thing people buy but today, they went too far.

Today they announced that they were going to ban certain foods that your allowed to take in your lunchbox! That is stupid! They also said that they would have "lunchbox inspections" (which is stupid seeing as its a school of 1050 pupils) to inforce this new rule. What they gonna do, give us a detention for bringing in a chocolate bar?

Is anyone else's school this mad?

Wayne
08-07-2007, 06:46 PM
My old school removed chips, pizza, chocolate etc and vending machines, but they didn't do lunchbox inspections. That's stupid.

luke-p
08-07-2007, 06:52 PM
That is stupid... They cant stop you from eating / drinking what you want... Its your life, you pay for the food... Your body do what ever the hell you want with it!

Seacat
08-07-2007, 06:56 PM
It's illegal for anyone except the police and customs officers to search your body or your possessions. Your school could only do that if police were present whilst they were doing so

Aflux
08-07-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm glad they didn't do that when I was in school because I never had any dinner apart from a twix and a can of IRN BRU.

Adam!
08-07-2007, 07:41 PM
It's illegal for anyone except the police and customs officers to search your body or your possessions. Your school could only do that if police were present whilst they were doing so
Really?

Headmaster ALWAYS goes in my bag, without asking me.. So techincally, he's breaking the law? :)

Aflux
08-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Really?

Headmaster ALWAYS goes in my bag, without asking me.. So techincally, he's breaking the law? :)
You can't do anything about it though, it's one of those laws that no-one lower than upper "clarss" can do anything about.

Concentric2
08-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Havn't they recently given teachers the power to stop and search students to check for things like knives?

Lunchbox inspections is rediculous. I agree that they should encourage you to eat a balanced diet but they shouldn't actively prevent you from eating things they disprove of.
Wouldn't be suprised if there's some "human right" thing on it somewhere that you could apply :P

Adam!
08-07-2007, 08:06 PM
You can't do anything about it though, it's one of those laws that no-one lower than upper "clarss" can do anything about.
No but I can stop him from doing so, advising him that if he does then he is breaking the law ;) - That'll put him off.

My mate once told him that if he wanted to go through his bag then he was to get the police - He got excluded for "refusing to do as asked" :|

shiver
09-07-2007, 05:42 PM
how stupid. eat outside so they can't search you :D

everyone at my school goes to greggs or mcdonalds, the queues are ridiculous.

Nightrose
09-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Basically we had crips banned in school so the tuck wouldnt sell them because of the litter apprently. also they stopped people just buying chips and now you have to buy a meal to buy chips.

I think its a good thing its stops children getting overweight

i do believe that the inspections are over the top but what can you do.

Concentric2
09-07-2007, 06:41 PM
but what can you do.
You could argue your case :P
Where would we be if nobody did that.

Zuar
09-07-2007, 07:20 PM
In my school in year 7 we where aloud to go out for dinner and eat crap.
But now we have combined with this other school to make an academy it's pathetic. Your not even aloud out even thought some do. And if your not pack lunch it's crappy roast dinners and crap butties which the labels are wrong anyway. So I'm pack lunch and normally have; butties, chrisp, fruit and a drink. Sometimes I have galaxy bar aswell.

JoeyK.
10-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Well, my school tried converting to so-called healthier food-- In other words, they started baking everything instead of frying them. It all sucks now, so I just go get food somewhere else during my off hours...

But no, nothing as bad as that...

PaulMacC
10-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Our School serves Bacon Butties, Ham&Cheese Rolls, French/Cheesey Toast and Baco&Egg Soda's for Break.

They took away our Vendies and Slush Puppies *cri*, We have Pizza&Chips on Fridays and Monday,Wednesday we have Panani's other than that it's all crap like Veg and Taters.

I bring in a packet of crisps for in between classes.

Here's an extreme rule

They dont even let us bring stuff outta the canteen because of litter.
Eh We sneak it out anyways in our blazers and even down our trousers.

Elkaa
10-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Figures are down to less than 4 in 10 children eat school meals now, and that's apparently still falling.

Lepore
11-07-2007, 04:44 AM
Tbh That is well over the top.

At my School they haven't taken anything out of our menu.
Even vending machines.

But thats what the salad line is for.
From my perspective i think people should have a choice in what they want to shove down there throat.

Want to get fat then do so. If not eat healthier.

Metric.
11-07-2007, 03:00 PM
we don't have inspections at my school, we just have healthy food, + we're allowed to leave school and get our own food if we have a car.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!