PDA

View Full Version : Problem.

Metric.
14-07-2007, 05:23 PM
We own an 02' BMW 745i with about 150k miles on it. I use to drive this car, but since it's a V8, I couldn't afford to put gas in it because I make a long commute, so I got the 03' Accord about 6 months ago.

My mom drove it for a while and then bought a 06' Infiniti M45x, and gave the BMW to my brother for a while untill he could get enough money for his own car, that day came and now we have it back.

It burns oil. Not just a little bit of oil, a lot of oil. Nothing is leaking out, because I parked it in the garage with a piece of carboard underneath it and it was clean the next day, so it must be burning it off?

Any car experts that can suggest what might be wrong with it before I take it to BMW?

Concentric2
14-07-2007, 06:58 PM
I take it you know it's burning oil because the fumes are plumes of pale blue? (kinda like this http://www.chemistryland.com/CHM107Lab/Lab2/Exhaust/ExhaustVapor.jpg)

Basically it'll be some fault in the fuel injection system or the engine block itself that's allowing the lubricating oil to get into and burn in the cylinder.

I'm no great expert but if they tell you you need a new battery or something similarly unrelated then you're being led on :P

Joeymac
15-07-2007, 01:02 AM
has it sat around for a while? or is there a hose on backwards cause sometimes oil runs through lines. Best thing to do is Start it up and have someone stand where the tailpipe is and look for blue smoke(rev it up to like 3 grand). If its blue smoke it may be the Rings Sticking inside the engine.
Some hondas have the same problems ( Mine :( )

Also, Check the oil filter because they have a tendency to leak ( seal dries out) and can sometimes leak after a few minutes of driving.

Metric.
19-07-2007, 01:19 AM
has it sat around for a while? or is there a hose on backwards cause sometimes oil runs through lines. Best thing to do is Start it up and have someone stand where the tailpipe is and look for blue smoke(rev it up to like 3 grand). If its blue smoke it may be the Rings Sticking inside the engine.
Some hondas have the same problems ( Mine :( )

Also, Check the oil filter because they have a tendency to leak ( seal dries out) and can sometimes leak after a few minutes of driving.

I took it to BMW and they fixed it, they told me it was a PVC? valve that was stuck open so the oil go into the engine, and be burned off. It was like a $300 job, and they replaced the oil.

e5..
20-07-2007, 09:51 PM
I took it to BMW and they fixed it, they told me it was a PVC? valve that was stuck open so the oil go into the engine, and be burned off. It was like a $300 job, and they replaced the oil.
only £150 pound sterling so not bad...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!