PDA

View Full Version : Airport Security

-Soph-
24-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Wow, this is amazing.

http://www.kpho.com/news/13738857/detail.html

I was watching something about it on CNN earlier, basically between 12:00-4:30am they let anyone through with an employees badge through security with any bags, etc. without even a basic search, just straight through.

it's certainly a worry, anyone else hear about it?

it's just typical that I live in phoenix.

-Soph-
24-07-2007, 01:02 PM
oh, sorry for double post... but my edit time is up :rolleyes:

this is a better link

http://www.abc15.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=568d6b4d-67b7-4116-9098-4c35d8b5ce38#top

VPSwow
24-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Nice find it reminds me of turky a couple of years back if the buzzer went off on u they tapped ur pockets then let u through :S

not even a basic search.

-Soph-
24-07-2007, 01:14 PM
was that before 9/11 though?

and I think I remember getting searched in turkey haha, that was YEARS ago though, like, '98 or something, they just touched my pockets too.

HabboIsKrouts
24-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Nice find it reminds me of turky a couple of years back if the buzzer went off on u they tapped ur pockets then let u through :S

not even a basic search.

bcus ur not old enough to be searched.

-Soph-
24-07-2007, 04:32 PM
there's no age limit, if you're under 18 (or is it 16?), they ask your parents.

I'm not sure how it goes if you're not with your parents though, i've never been searched when I wasn't with them.

it would be goddamn stupid if they didn't search people under that age, because then it's just an open door for terrorists, so I don't know where you got the idea that they don't search people under a certain age limit, lol.

cocaine
24-07-2007, 04:33 PM
i got searched when i set off the alarm in ireland.

they had to ask my parents permission.

-Soph-
24-07-2007, 05:00 PM
they usually just go

"how old are you"

"14"

*goes to parents*

"can we search her?"

I wonder how often parent's say "no" haha..

cocaine
24-07-2007, 05:05 PM
if they said no then they could search them anyway, because they have reasonable grounds to do that. (reason being that they set the alarm off).

-Soph-
24-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Sure could.

my belt always sets off the alarm, if I forget to take it off then it ALWAYS goes off.

my boots set it off too.

xxMATTGxx
24-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Yeah they can search kids. They just got to ask :P Be nice to go though the X-ray or whatever they are machines again at Manchester on Thursday Morning :)

-Soph-
24-07-2007, 06:01 PM
I was watching this thing on CNN earlier too,

about phoenix being such a big target for terrorists, kinda worried me actually, I never knew.

I kinda filmed a few seconds:

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g62/Omghz/Videos/?action=view&current=e2025f16.flv

xxMATTGxx
24-07-2007, 06:21 PM
I was watching this thing on CNN earlier too,

about phoenix being such a big target for terrorists, kinda worried me actually, I never knew.

I kinda filmed a few seconds:

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g62/Omghz/Videos/?action=view&current=e2025f16.flv

It does shock most of us. There was a tv show on BBC about the security at Birmingham it was that low you could possibly carry a a gun onto the plane. Staff sleeping on the job. Lame searches on people and not even looking at the screen while suitcases were going though.

Technologic
24-07-2007, 06:36 PM
The security at corfu airport is crap :l The runway is prtected by a foot high fence of barbed wiure, easily jumpable and the security desk was a sleeping man in a chair next to the door.

Dan2nd
24-07-2007, 08:53 PM
they usually just go

"how old are you"

"14"

*goes to parents*

"can we search her?"

I wonder how often parent's say "no" haha..

they always searched me when I was under 16 without asking my parents =l

-Soph-
25-07-2007, 12:44 AM
It does shock most of us. There was a tv show on BBC about the security at Birmingham it was that low you could possibly carry a a gun onto the plane. Staff sleeping on the job. Lame searches on people and not even looking at the screen while suitcases were going though.

I've seen some pretty bad security at airports before, I don't think i've seen anything terrible post-9/11 though, security has improved a lot.

I've flown through phoenix at night before, I never really noticed that it was slacked or anything, I must be wrong!

they always searched me when I was under 16 without asking my parents =l
If you look over it then they don't usually ask, it's happened to me a few times.

ReviewDude
25-07-2007, 01:08 PM
They've (as far as I know) just started getting one person from the party you're ravelling with to take their shoes off. I was travelling a while ago, and they ASKED which of us had the easiest to take off :P

When I'm by myself, because I'm 6ft 3, they always frisk me. Even when I went to Wembley to see Muse, they frisked me :P

-Soph-
26-07-2007, 06:27 AM
haha, when i've gone through customs they always ask for all of us to take our shoes off.

the worst was at o'hare, I had to take my belt, shoes, all jewelry, my hair clips all out haha.

CrazyColaist
26-07-2007, 05:54 PM
My mummy got searched through our suitcase last year but no one else did and i was like =l

Well this year im taking my sponge bob suitcase (H) so i shouldnt be searched (H)

Adam!
27-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Anyone can be searched, be it a 7 day old baby or a 90 year old woman.

Under 16 they ask your parents permission, however it's still your decision as to them searching you.

When I get searched they usually ask who im traveling with, I point and they shout "DAD DAD CAN I SEARCH UR SON?"

On the one occasion I traveled alone I had to sign a form saying that my parents wasn't there and I give my permission to be searched without the presence of a parent/guardian.

They basically have the same powers as the police, if you refuse to be searched they can detain you under the serious organised crimes act which would entitle them to search you without your permission, where as if you refused to be searched by the police then you'd be arrested, thus giving them reason to search you.

-Soph-
27-07-2007, 07:44 AM
When I flew to N. Ireland over xmas, I borrowed my dads bag and he forgot to take his plyers out of it.

(I took it on as hand luggage so we could get out of the airport quicker - it was only a weekend away)

so yeah, I got it all pulled out and searched, all of my clothes haha, it realllly wasn't funny at the time.

Decapitated!
27-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Sure could.

my belt always sets off the alarm, if I forget to take it off then it ALWAYS goes off.

my boots set it off too.

Hahaha.

i was wearing my studded belt once and it went off and that moment i went oh for god sake. I dident even mean to put it on :(

"What where you going to use this for"
a belt.
Why?
to hold my pants up ?

Jamie!
27-07-2007, 02:45 PM
When I flew from Manchester a few weeks ago, the security was fairly relaxed. The alarm went off for my dad when he walked through, so this woman went to search him, but this man who worked there just said to let him through. But on the return flight from Malaga, we had to take off our belts/jewellery etc before walking through the thingy, and put them in a tray to be put through the x-ray thing along with our phones. Then we had to wait for ages while they checked everyones passports on this machine.

Adam!
27-07-2007, 03:20 PM
When I flew from Manchester a few weeks ago, the security was fairly relaxed. The alarm went off for my dad when he walked through, so this woman went to search him, but this man who worked there just said to let him through. But on the return flight from Malaga, we had to take off our belts/jewellery etc before walking through the thingy, and put them in a tray to be put through the x-ray thing along with our phones. Then we had to wait for ages while they checked everyones passports on this machine.
Wouldn't happen.

A) A female would not approach a male with the intention to search him, it's not aloud, the same sex must search the same sex.

B) They wouldn't just let you through, if they did then I suggest you inform the CAA.

-Soph-
27-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Hahaha.

i was wearing my studded belt once and it went off and that moment i went oh for god sake. I dident even mean to put it on :(

"What where you going to use this for"
a belt.
Why?
to hold my pants up ?

I always wear a studded belt too, and everytime I forget to take it off (unless I have a t-shirt where you can see it, and even then sometimes I forget if they don't tell me to take it off) :(

Wouldn't happen.

A) A female would not approach a male with the intention to search him, it's not aloud, the same sex must search the same sex.

B) They wouldn't just let you through, if they did then I suggest you inform the CAA.

It's not necessary a lie, even if it does sound a little far fetched, if someone posted about the situation in Phoenix before it was released in a news report everyone would most likely say i'm lying.

DaveTaylor
28-07-2007, 07:05 AM
You can be searched from any age they do a 3rd person search usally or take your shoes off on every 3rd person, or everyone, or every 5 etc, it depends on how high the security risk is, on CNN they reported a secruity risk 3 days ago about blocks of clay and cheese with fake detenators on them, looks like people are planting decoys and testing the secruity obviously they got through and it worked which is worrying, but whilst I was sitting watching this i realised they make everyone queue up to get checked in or through secruity well look at heathrow on a busy day anyone could stroll in and set themselves of in seconds in a huge crowd of people before he/she goes through secruity, the airport is a huge risk itself now, I know some of you will tell me to shut up but face it, it's true

-Soph-
28-07-2007, 07:41 AM
I watched that thing on CNN too.

Don't they take the shoes off everyone now?
when I flew to Phoenix and Chicago and JFK I had to take my shoes off all times (these were the last times I flew)

DaveTaylor
28-07-2007, 08:01 AM
I read somewhere that a worldwide list was given out to all airports about what they should search on differant levels of risk and shoes where at the high level, I have been threatened to have my laptop opened before, that was when i went to houston on a high secruity day.

Adam!
28-07-2007, 12:18 PM
In the UK, it's random people that get shoes x-rayed, not everyone!

But USA, it all seemed to relaxed in Sanford :S - This was January aswell when the security alert was high :S

lAdmire
29-07-2007, 12:31 AM
Wow. That's horrible. They're just asking for someone to commit a terrorist attack, etc. For real. For all they know, an employee might be a terrorist undercover. Horrible.

Adam!
29-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Well, on Wednesday im going to deliberatly set the metal detector off to find out what happens - Im pretty certain i'll get searched ;)

And im going to leave a 500ml bottle of coke in my bag and see if they notice it on the xray machine, they proberbly wont.

-Soph-
29-07-2007, 04:08 AM
Wow. That's horrible. They're just asking for someone to commit a terrorist attack, etc. For real. For all they know, an employee might be a terrorist undercover. Horrible.

I wouldn't be surprised, I know that at Phoenix in the past few years they've arrested some baggage handlers for trying to sneak firearms into peoples suitcases, and a hostess was arrested for carrying a gun on a flight (concealed)

CrazyColaist
29-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Well, on Wednesday im going to deliberatly set the metal detector off to find out what happens - Im pretty certain i'll get searched ;)

And im going to leave a 500ml bottle of coke in my bag and see if they notice it on the xray machine, they proberbly wont.

Yeah they search you again

all i had is my belt (H)

-Soph-
31-07-2007, 04:13 AM
everytime i've had liquids in my bag they notice.

Adam!
31-07-2007, 04:51 AM
everytime i've had liquids in my bag they notice.
Well thats exactly what im going to test, it's touch and go at the end of the day - Depends how alert the screener is.

-Soph-
31-07-2007, 06:38 AM
I remember at the embassy, I had just bought a huge bottle of water and a venti frappachino and they took them both off me, in the bin they went!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!