PDA

View Full Version : T20 World cup!

Smiddy
09-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Starts on Tuesday held in South Africa, the first (inaugural) ever world cup for the limited overs game will be amongst us!

Unlike the 50 over game, which has all 16 ICC qualified teams in, this 1 only has 12, the 10 full teams qualified anyway and then there was 2 more spaces open (filled by Scotland and Kenya) who had to qualify via a 6 team tournament (featuring the minnows of International Cricket - Ireland, Scotland, Canada, Bermuda, Kenya, Netherlands) in which Kenya and Scotland made up the final (Kenya winning by 8 wickets).

These 12 teams are then split up into 4 groups of 3 teams, who will all play each other once (so 2 games for each team). These are the 4 groups:

Group A -
South Africa
West Indies
Bangladesh

Group B -
Australia
England
Zimbabwe

Group C -
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
Kenya

Group D -
Pakistan
India
Scotland

My personal analysis would be that Group A & B will be the more exciting of the groups, as the 3rd team in each group are capable of pulling off upsets, whereas Kenya and Scotland are not so much known for that with their current teams (in past years you would say they could do it). So if their is to be any upsets, it will be in group A & B.

In saying that, I don't think their will be!

After all the matches are played, the top 2 from each group will qualify into the Super 8's, with the top 4 going into semi's (1 v 4, 2 v 3), winners into final.
Obviously Australia are favourites.. But I reckon England stand a good chance of going far in the tournament. The winners, in my opinion will be New Zealand.

For anyone who has never really been interested in Cricket because it's boring, watch this tournament, as it is probably the most enjoyable form of cricket around for all spectators, and a good starter since it's short & rarely boring.

Soil
09-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Sri Lanka will win IMO. They scored 167 or something in the test games. Also they have a great team. England - I dont think they stand a chance. They always start off slow. Also I dont think they will win against Australia.

I cant wait for India vs Pakistan.

Like the ODI WC final, I think the finals will be between Australia and Sri Lanka.
I would hate it is Australia win.

For England, I think Matt Prior was a bad decision. They should have picked Ian Bell instead.

Smiddy
09-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Mm before the squads were announced I said Ian Bell shouldn't of been picked, I wish he was now :P Only thing is, without Prior, who would be our keeper :S Only bad thing.

I would of said Sri Lanka, but they haven't got Murali, he's a very important weapon for them and they're weaker without him.

Soil
10-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Maybe South Africa then.
I dont think Australia or New Zealand will win.

England:

Paul Collingwood (c) James Anderson
Stuart Broad Andrew Flintoff
James Kirtley Darren Maddy
Dimitri Mascarenhas Kevin Pietersen
Matt Prior (wk) Chris Schofield
Owais Shah Jeremy Snape
Vikram Solanki Chris Tremlett
Luke Wright Ravi Bopara
Ryan Sidebottom

I would replace Pieterson. Ian Bell is just so much better.

Geraint
10-09-2007, 02:49 PM
I think South Africa will win it, although Australia and India have a good chance with their big hitters. England v Australia and India v Pakistan will be interesting games.
Is it 1 from each group qualifies?

Aflux
10-09-2007, 05:54 PM
It's no World Cup without Bermuda.

Grainger@CUFC
10-09-2007, 07:03 PM

2 from each group qualify.

So, so true :8.

In England's case, I'm just glad Mascharenas got picked because he showed in the ODIs that he's capable of bowling economically and has a big hit on him. Perfect for a twenty20 player in my view :). Also good to see Jeremy Snape in there too ;).

Smiddy
10-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Maybe South Africa then.
I dont think Australia or New Zealand will win.

England:

Paul Collingwood (c) James Anderson
Stuart Broad Andrew Flintoff
James Kirtley Darren Maddy
Dimitri Mascarenhas Kevin Pietersen
Matt Prior (wk) Chris Schofield
Owais Shah Jeremy Snape
Vikram Solanki Chris Tremlett
Luke Wright Ravi Bopara
Ryan Sidebottom

I would replace Pieterson. Ian Bell is just so much better.
lol we can't replace them now, not unles he became injured (like in the case of Sidebottom, whose been replaced by Dimi M (both on the list? :S)! And I doubt you'll see Chris Tremlett play either ;)

I think South Africa will win it, although Australia and India have a good chance with their big hitters. England v Australia and India v Pakistan will be interesting games.
It's the top 2 from each group. Did say that in the first post I believe..

I know, no Dwayne Leverock to amuse us with his amazing catches at first slip :'(

Soil
10-09-2007, 07:40 PM
lol we can't replace them now, not unles he became injured (like in the case of Sidebottom, whose been replaced by Dimi M (both on the list? :S)! And I doubt you'll see Chris Tremlett play either ;)

I got that list from www.cricinfo.com
What I meant is, if I could replace someone on that list, I would have replaced Pieterson.

Geraint
10-09-2007, 08:40 PM

It's the top 2 from each group. Did say that in the first post I believe..

I know, no Dwayne Leverock to amuse us with his amazing catches at first slip :'(

I just scrolled down I can never be bothered to read

Grainger@CUFC
11-09-2007, 07:52 PM
South Africa were immense against the West Indies. Chasing 206 to win, they did it with a couple of overs to spare. Herschelle Gibbs got 90* for South Africa, but top scorer was Chris Gayle for the West Indies with a massive 117. West Indies were awful in the field and bowling (over 20 wides) and South Africa just dominated. Looks like they could be the team to beat in the tournament.

Soil
11-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Looking at the West Indies vs South Africa match, I dont think India / England / Pakistan stand a chance.

CH Gayle - 10x6
He got 117 off 57 balls.

But South Africas last few overs were great:

4 4 1 . 6 6 | 1lb 1 . 4 4 1 | 1 4 1wd 2 2 1 1wd 1 | 6 4 . 1wd 4

I still dont think West Indies will win. CH Gayle was great. Without him, West Indies wouldnt have got such a high score.

Smiddy
11-09-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm so glad I saw his Century. I got to see Smith get hit on the wrist area then I couldn't watch anymore.. Which I'm rather gutted about.

I didn't expect SA to make it! But hats off to them, they did!

I just realised I could watch most of the first match tomorrow before I go to school.. nice...

Geraint
11-09-2007, 09:30 PM
South Africa must have been awesome because 205 is a very hard score to get in 20 overs. They would have got about 250 off their 20 overs. The pitches in South Africa must suit the batsmen

Soil
11-09-2007, 09:40 PM
South Africa RR 11.77
South Africa's Last 5 overs 76/0 RR 15.20
West Indies RR 10.25

Smiddy
12-09-2007, 09:20 PM
OH MY GOD. WHAT AN UPSET EARLIER!

ZIMBABWE beat AUSTRALIA by 5 WICKETS with 1 ball to spare.

The number 11 team in the ODI world beat the number 1 team in the world. Rusty or not Rusty, it counts as a LOSS to the Aussies.
Very well done Zim's, great all round preformance :)

COME ON ENGLAND for tomorrow :)

Soil
13-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Haha @ Australia.
Then again, they hadn't played a single international game till yesterday since the World Cup Final.

I think in Twenty20, its always best to bat second.
When you are batting first, you arent sure what score is the best score. When you are batting second, you have a target, and therefore it makes life a bit easier.

Australia under estimated Zimbabwe. Well Done to Zimbabwe.

I hope England loose today xD and then Australia beats England :) - That will be great :p

Smiddy
13-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Tough luck Saurav ;)

We did it the hard way, bat first (with a great performance by KP - The 1 we had been saying should be dropped :o - he came of good!) and some good bowling from schofield and Dimi by the looks of the stats.

ohh and Bumble's team out already, go WI!

Andeeh
13-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Haha @ Australia.
Then again, they hadn't played a single international game till yesterday since the World Cup Final.

I think in Twenty20, its always best to bat second.
When you are batting first, you arent sure what score is the best score. When you are batting second, you have a target, and therefore it makes life a bit easier.

Australia under estimated Zimbabwe. Well Done to Zimbabwe.

I hope England loose today xD and then Australia beats England :) - That will be great :p

Why Say England lose?

Lol they won in the end by a country mile and yeah were gonna beat Austrailians by a ton !

Aflux
13-09-2007, 08:23 PM
What a great start and Zimb's win over Aus has helped us greatly.

CJW93
13-09-2007, 10:02 PM
I enjoyed watching Zim beat the Aussies. Poetry in motion

Geraint
13-09-2007, 10:09 PM
They should have 3 groups with 4 teams in each because with 3 teams in each group and 2 going through, you lose 2 games and you're out

It would be better if they had 3 groups with 4 teams and two from each group qualify, then a knock-out round, then a 3 team group stage each playing each other 2 times whoever wins the group wins the cup

Smiddy
13-09-2007, 10:15 PM
or y'know, a 4 group 4 team system like the normal world cup. makes no sense that Ireland aren't there even though they're higher in the ODI rankings then Kenya!

Geraint
13-09-2007, 10:20 PM
The Twenty20 is different to one-dayers so there might be a different ranking system because Australia don't seem very good this form of the game

Soil
13-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Why Say England lose?

Lol they won in the end by a country mile and yeah were gonna beat Austrailians by a ton !

I dont like the England players. They are morons and childish.

Anyway, world rankings should never be used to determine how good a team is in my opinion.

You could get a team, which looses every game they play. Meaning they will be the lowest in the rankings.
Suppose you get rid of all the players and get new players (or some new players). You start winning all the games since then.
Suppose you lost 100 games with the old team, and with the new team, you won 10 - your ranking will still be low.

Dunno if anyone undestood the above.

Anyway, if England looses against Aussies. they might still get knocked out xD

Damn the rain today. India couldnt play. They needed a warm up type of match. I think India will loose to Pakistan tomorrow. The Indian team selected for Twenty20 are crap.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!