PDA

View Full Version : Picking my As levels :]

mangle
21-09-2007, 05:49 PM
At the moment im considering , philosophy , geography , economics and physics.

anyone taken those and know anything about the course , eg if its completely hard?

Soka
21-09-2007, 09:12 PM
i jsut started as levels physics, economics, maths, accounts in september

i think they're all alright, but if you do physics i recommend you do maths aswell, or your good at maths

+ economics is like applied maths, so again you need to be good at maths and have a good understanding of things, basically if you read the paper/watch the news/take an interest in whats going on in the world, you should do well in this

theyre not hard though really tbh, because economics = 100% examinations, and two of the exams have 16 multiple choice qs.
physics = 33/% cwk, 66% exams

can't comment on other two :)

Jazza
21-09-2007, 10:03 PM
How can you only be picking now? We chose ours back in May, or are you planning for next year?

RandomManJay
21-09-2007, 10:06 PM
The only one I can comment on it Physics (I took: Psychology, Media Studies, Physics and Leisure Studies), same as soka's comment, its better to take maths becasue they go hand in hand, although one is more indepth and complex than the other with the equations (I can't remember which), but it really helps with the complex stuff in physics as you go through the course.

Ramones
21-09-2007, 10:28 PM
i do economics, not too bad if you've done business and that before, you need to keep up to date with the news and interest rates and all that crap but i wouldn't say you need to be that good at maths.

Concentric2
21-09-2007, 10:31 PM
We were encouraged to do maths if we were doing physics, but to be honest i didn't at any stage during physics think "thank God i did maths".

GommeInc
21-09-2007, 11:23 PM
I did Philosophy. You do some reading, critical thinking and discussing. That's the philosophy course sorted :P

Virgin Mary
22-09-2007, 07:02 AM
They're all good, respected A levels - especially maths and physics - which work well together. Maths and physics would be the hardest, but that's from a general standpoint and they obviously wouldn't be hard to someone who's a rocket scientist.

RandomManJay
22-09-2007, 08:26 AM
They're all good, respected A levels - especially maths and physics - which work well together. Maths and physics would be the hardest, but that's from a general standpoint and they obviously wouldn't be hard to someone who's a rocket scientist.

I have a friend who would talk to the teacher about things at degree level during the lesson, so the rest of us are sitting there going, god, how does he know this and how the hell are we ment to understand it if he's going off describing it at a level we couldn't possibly understand yet :S

Throne Sofa
22-09-2007, 11:37 AM
I have to pick mine over the course of the next couple months.
I'm thinking of doing Economics/EnglishLit/EnglishLang/Media/Buisness/Philosophy/Sociology/Biology.. Well four of them :P Can anyone comment on these courseS?

Frodo13.
22-09-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm thinking of doing Economics/EnglishLit/EnglishLang/Media/Buisness/Philosophy/Sociology/Biology.. Well four of them :P Can anyone comment on these courseS?

I do English Lit and Business :)
Business is not the most exciting subjects, but its EXTREAMLY easy and you have a good chance of getting a good pass from it.

English Lit is good, if of course, you dont mind reading books. We are doing Cold Mountain, and Othello, which are both good in my opinion. Only problem is the Cold Mountain exam is a closed book exam, which means you cant take the book in with you. I suppose it just depends how you are as a person to how it affects you.

Virgin Mary
22-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Do you want to go to Oxford/Cambridge etc. or a normal uni?

GommeInc
22-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Do you want to go to Oxford/Cambridge etc. or a normal uni?
Or even going to Uni?

Throne Sofa
22-09-2007, 07:26 PM
A normal one :P
I'm not really an A standard pupil lol

That's if I decide to go to one, many people get in debt and find it hard to pay off....

N!ck
22-09-2007, 07:34 PM
I'd recommend traditional courses tbh.

I've just started doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Psychology.

Virgin Mary
22-09-2007, 07:51 PM
I'd recommend traditional courses tbh.

I've just started doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Psychology.
That's what I was considering but if he doesn't want to go to somewhere like Oxford, or even Uni altogether, then there's no point in weighing himself down with traditional courses for the sake of it unless of course he wants to/enjoys them.

Soka
22-09-2007, 08:05 PM
A normal one :P
I'm not really an A standard pupil lol

That's if I decide to go to one, many people get in debt and find it hard to pay off....

most people get in debt, don't let that put you off you have AGGGGGGGGGES to pay it off, my brother just started sheffield uni today and he'll be in a hell of a lot of debt as hes doing 4 year masters, but you only start paying off gradually when your earning, so i highly recommend you don't let that put you off.

and i agree with mary, only do subjects you enjoy really, unless your planning on going to oxbridge which considers media, for example as not as challenging as physics.

mangle
22-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Hmm , im not too sure about the maths and physics. Im in the top set for maths and I do understand it , im just not as fast as the other kids at getting it yano?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!