PDA

View Full Version : Full time Education until 18? - [Closes 15/01/08]

Mr.OSH
23-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Now with qualifications and education being said to be extremely important for everyones future, should everyone be made to legally stay at school or in full time education until they are at least 18 years old?

What do you think?

Happy Debating. :)

CJ-real
16-12-2007, 06:47 PM
na crap

mangle
16-12-2007, 06:48 PM
No.
My mate is useless at school but he wants to be a plumber so he's taking an apprentship. Idno how you spell it :)

Nixt
16-12-2007, 06:49 PM
No.
My mate is useless at school but he wants to be a plumber so he's taking an apprentship. Idno how you spell it :)

Well it's perfect for him, because he could do that under the new laws... :S you don't have to go to college and do a levels, there are many things :).

mangle
16-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Well it's perfect for him, because he could do that under the new laws... :S you don't have to go to college and do a levels, there are many things :).

Oh right. My bad :)

Asher
16-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Definitely.

Virgin Mary
16-12-2007, 09:11 PM
No, education is cruel. Plenty of people get by without qualifications. Most work is based on experience, not education, hence why most students end up committing suicide because they can't get a high-paying job because they're too inexperienced and then have loads of debt to pay off because they've paid a ******** to be told some random **. Any mandatory "education" should be based around occupations, not unnecessary facts.

Ichig0
16-12-2007, 10:12 PM
No, education is cruel. Plenty of people get by without qualifications. Most work is based on experience, not education, hence why most students end up committing suicide because they can't get a high-paying job because they're too inexperienced and then have loads of debt to pay off because they've paid a ******** to be told some random **. Any mandatory "education" should be based around occupations, not unnecessary facts.

Agreed. I'm currently working with two men, one in his late 40's and one in his late 50's. From what both have told me of their education, today's curriculum is definitely failing us.

I've friends who've stayed on and taken cliché subjects such as A Level physics, sociology, pyschology and music. At the end of those subjects I'm 100% sure that only a minority of them will go forward and use their new skills in every day life.

What is being taught today is definitely not relevant to the majority of jobv available to school leavers and graduates. Let people prove themselves with experience and not what they can remember on the day of a memory-based exam.

&
17-12-2007, 12:20 PM
No. ­

WarezKid
17-12-2007, 04:28 PM
No rofl, i know more then most teachers in my school :rolleyes:

cocaine
17-12-2007, 04:31 PM
No, if you have your mind set on something when you are 16 and you want to work your 100% towards that, eg, start an apprenticeship or go into training for something then you should be allowed to.

Energizer
17-12-2007, 04:35 PM
no.. there's nothing wrong with how it is at the minute.

Unbilotitled
17-12-2007, 06:23 PM
No....if you want to stay till your 18 you would do sixthform.

staying on till 18 is sad, Im 14 in year 9 now, will i have to stay till 18 ?

CH3LS3A
17-12-2007, 06:24 PM
The teachers cant control the pupils as it is,
Never mind 18 year olds

cocaine
17-12-2007, 06:25 PM
The teachers cant control the pupils as it is,
Never mind 18 year olds

What? Thats complete rubbish.

The sixth formers at my school, if the teacher isnt in they go into the classroom, sit down quietly and get on with their work?

CH3LS3A
17-12-2007, 06:28 PM

The sixth formers at my school, if the teacher isnt in they go into the classroom, sit down quietly and get on with their work?

Yes, but they're not being made to stop there,
They're there on their own free will.

Smits
17-12-2007, 06:34 PM
I don't think that anybody should be forced to stay in the current education system until they are 18. This is because quite simply, it would be of no use to them. If one chooses to extend their education, they have the option of college and can easily carry on studying the subjects which they wish to take part in. Usually the ones they enjoying doing.

However i do think that extended education would be a benefit if it was done correctly. I think that a good idea would beto give pupils a taster in each area of say engineering, helping them decide whether this is the path for them.

Soy
18-12-2007, 07:51 PM

Same here, the teacher only turns up for 15 minutes then leave and we get on with work

Virgin Mary
19-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Besides that, the entire system falls through in the fact that it's optional for a reason. People who don't want an educationt end to act up in lessons and therefore get bad grades. I don't see how keeping them for another 2 years is going to change that. People should be allowed to make their own decisions anyway, what's the point in human rights etc. if you're forced to do something?

Nixt
19-12-2007, 12:26 PM
No, if you have your mind set on something when you are 16 and you want to work your 100% towards that, eg, start an apprenticeship or go into training for something then you should be allowed to.

I think everyone has quite a clouded idea of how this system will work. This compulsory education will include apprenticeships and training for jobs like Hairdressing etc.

Virgin Mary
19-12-2007, 12:39 PM
I think everyone has quite a clouded idea of how this system will work. This compulsory education will include apprenticeships and training for jobs like Hairdressing etc.
But my point is why make people do that if they don't want to? At school you always have people who **** around in class and don't do anything other than annoy the teacher and everyone else. In my opinion, education not being compulsory is weeding out the bad from the good. If you keep them in it's just another 2 years of being around idiots.

Nixt
19-12-2007, 12:46 PM
But my point is why make people do that if they don't want to? At school you always have people who **** around in class and don't do anything other than annoy the teacher and everyone else. In my opinion, education not being compulsory is weeding out the bad from the good. If you keep them in it's just another 2 years of being around idiots.

Yes I agree with that to some extent, however I was merely correcting everyone's misconceptions in regards to the new law ;-).

-Soph-
21-12-2007, 01:15 AM
I'm actually kinda for this, I used to live in the UK so I would be finishing school next year, now I have moved to America and i'll be graduating when i'm 18.

I much prefer the system here, the system in the UK is great, but still... I think it should be made necessary, leaving school at 16, if you don't go onto anything else.. then yeah, you don't get much of a chance.
I'm kinda split on this, actually - because I guess it won't be that much different when you leave at 18, because it'll be "the norm".
I do think that schools in the UK need to apply more pressure though, I got by in the UK just by using my common sense and didn't feel the need to pay attention, now i've moved - I find myself having to study a lot more and actually work towards something.

FlyingJesus
21-12-2007, 05:21 PM
If people mess up their own chances that's their fault, keeping them in school will only hold back other people who really want to learn and be a waste of teacher resources.

Besides, if every fool and freeloader is made to get some sort of qualification, qualifications as a whole will be worth a lot less.

TheGayOne
21-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Im really against this, i think its better being optional, because at 16 you are old enough to be able to make the decision for yourself what you want to go and do, you shouldnt be forced to waste./sit thru 2 more years of school if it wont help you

Lepore
22-12-2007, 03:09 AM
Im in school till 18 anyway.

Florida. Eww.

FlyingJesus
23-12-2007, 03:04 AM
Im really against this, i think its better being optional, because at 16 you are old enough to be able to make the decision for yourself what you want to go and do, you shouldnt be forced to waste./sit thru 2 more years of school if it wont help you

I entirely disagree, I don't think the majority of people are mature enough at 16 to be making life choices, but the views expressed in this post highlight the problem posed in my earlier one - that many people would not have a ready learning attitude and would therefore ruin education for everyone else.

Grig
28-12-2007, 11:52 AM
I think if you want a quality lifestyle, a well paying job then going to school till 18 is the most mature option and then stepping into Uni.

Loqo
28-12-2007, 01:56 PM
I dont think so, they could leave at 16 and go to college if they see a course which contains everything they want to do to pursure the career they want. My cousin left at 16 to go to building at college because the school didnt have many things that covered that. I know i will be staying till 18 and hopefully moving on to university. But i dont think it should be a law.

Finkelstien
29-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Well in South Africa you are required to go through highschool until you are 18 years of age and I really think its brilliant. I don't see how 16 year olds are mature enough to handel a decision to leave something as important as a education.

The majority of 16 year olds don't even know what they want in life and are to preoccupied with just starting to explore elements that the world has to offer. So I don't feel a proper decision can be made.

Snappo
01-01-2008, 05:38 AM
In north America you finish schooling when you are 18. I'm from the UK and currently living in Florida. I believe that schooling should end at 18 as the ones who do not finish schooling are more likely to go on the doe.

Maximo
12-01-2008, 02:06 AM
A tenth of 16 to 18-year-olds are now officially classified as Neets - so-called because they are "not in education, employment or training".That being the main reason why they want to educate people till 18 ^ because that's quite a high number, I agree with staying in education till 18. I think that many 16 year olds are still not mature enough to make decisions that could effect there whole life, by staying in school or doing an workplace training isn't going to make you drop dead, the government are doing it to give you key skills for the future not just for giggles, and it is working in other countries such as Canada and America
In my opinion by having a standard leaving age of 18, it would reduce wage inequality, because all people leaving would of had roughly the same type education and qualifications, unlike today where you have that gap between people that have just done GCSE's and A levels, and although people in this thread have said that people they know who have left at 16 have got jobs, the statistics show that those leaving at 16 are more likely to be in a lower wage bracket, then those who stay on to post 16 education.
With the world getting more and more accessible it’s important that we step up to the level of education to meet the rest of the world, so that our citizens have an equal chance of getting a job in places like Europe, America and Africa where the leaving age is largely 18, by staying in education the higher the chance is that they will have more skills to take into the work world.

Although many people are saying that some people are just not suited to the academia hot house ideals of schools, the +16 education would not just be school, there would be work placements and more vocational courses, which in theory of course over time, not straight away impact lower down the school meaning that those, who are not as suited to the academic would have options lower down focussing on a more vocational type of learning.

In the greater scheme of things as well by raising the education age, it has a better effect on the economy, because of more a more employable workforce that is more efficient, and has less people on the dole

As the Ontario study has shown, the impact of extra years of education on earnings and economic productivity is also disproportionately heavy at the lower end - that is, two more years at school for a 16 year old will make a much greater percentage difference to their later economic worth than two years of graduate work for a 22 year old.
It would also break the cycle of people leaving school early, because you are statistically more likely to leave school if your parents left school early, which links back to my previous point about promoting education equality, as the places where there are the highest +16 leavers, are in lower poverty areas which should in theory give everyone a more equal opportunity

As the proposal is for 2013, I doubt that it will effect that this will affect any people on here, but what people seem to forget is that the last school leaving age rise, was only in the 1970's and people have now adjusted to it, as someone said above me, it will become the norm.

My cousin left at 16 to go to building at college because the school didn’t have many things that covered that. I know I will be staying till 18 and hopefully moving on to university. But I don’t think it should be a law.There not saying that the law is going to be stay in school until 18, its stay in education until 18, so people could do a course like your cousin as an option under the new laws

FAQz
13-01-2008, 10:29 AM
I don't think people should be made to stay on at school until they are 18, however I definitely think that they should be given the option and choice if they would like to. otherwise you will spend approximately 6 years of your life actually in a classroom (this fact really surprised me):O

FAQz

Moh
13-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Keep it as it is, if you want to stay in education then go to college. They shouldn't make you stay at school untill your 18 with all the *****.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!