PDA

View Full Version : Is football becoming overrated?

Puma!
27-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Up until about three and a half months ago, I was a die hard Sheffield Wednesday fan. Everything changed when a family member went out and bought me a hockey stick + practice ball. It's now my number one sport with me having NHL, Sheffield Steelers + Intl jerseys. I also now spend a majority of my spare time in a week ice skating or out practicing my stick handling with my rollerblades on. Finally, I also share a similar dream to what many young people have with their favorite sport; to be the next superstar (In hockeys case, the next Wayne Gretzky).

But now I seem to have a negative opnion on football. Like that the premiership is becoming a four-team title race, yhe championship is becoming a yo-yo league (with the same teams being promoted and relegated to the premiership) and that the lower end of the English football system is dying a slow death because of smaller clubs not being able to draw the fans in week in week out. I don't have any particular hate for the game of football, I just believe that money is killing the game slowly.

tom

bigdavecox90
27-12-2007, 10:22 PM
I see your point in a way, but I could never stop loving football.

FOOTBALL = LIFE!!! :D

Lubricant
27-12-2007, 10:24 PM
I've always hated football.

Disaronno
27-12-2007, 10:24 PM
I see what your saying aswell. Im dissapointed with football atm because of very bad decisions but on topic, No. However, possibly in the future, Yes.

bigdavecox90
27-12-2007, 10:27 PM
I've always hated football.

Are you gay!? :D:P

Clowgon
27-12-2007, 10:36 PM
In a way you are right and in a way you are wrong. Clubs in the lower leagues are under
Inmesce pressure to form week in week out and with fans not turning up each week no
wonder the are in that postion. It is easy for the premier league clubs because the top
10 clubs pay the players huge amount of money witch i personally think derserve, because they are on a mission toprove they are worth the money they get paid. Really players Who get £125k a week dont acctually get that ammount they have to pay really high tax but out of the tax they stil have alot left.

No offence but personally i think u question the sport "Football" being overated because u have fell in love with NFL and lost heart with football maybe you are confused right now. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Paulio
27-12-2007, 10:38 PM
I see were your coming from but nowaday, if there is no money, there is no players.

There should be a limit to how much a club can spend in t a transfer window.

15-20m?

bigdavecox90
27-12-2007, 10:44 PM
I see were your coming from but nowaday, if there is no money, there is no players.

There should be a limit to how much a club can spend in t a transfer window.

15-20m?

Each club should get the same amount of money given to them at the beginning of the season, then it's up to them how they spend it!?

Disaronno
27-12-2007, 10:47 PM
In a way you are right and in a way you are wrong. Clubs in the lower leagues are under
Inmesce pressure to form week in week out and with fans not turning up each week no
wonder the are in that postion. It is easy for the premier league clubs because the top
10 clubs pay the players huge amount of money witch i personally think derserve, because they are on a mission toprove they are worth the money they get paid. Really players Who get £125k a week dont acctually get that ammount they have to pay really high tax but out of the tax they stil have alot left.

No offence but personally i think u question the sport "Football" being overated because u have fell in love with NFL and lost heart with football maybe you are confused right now. Please correct me if i am wrong.

After successfully deciphering what you actually wrote. Everyone in the UK has 22% of their wages taxed. Football players have 44%. Players, for instance - Cristiano Ronaldo, walks off with £60,000+.

@xP
27-12-2007, 10:48 PM
FOOTBALL = LIFE!!! :D

Couldn't put that any better. :)

bigdavecox90
27-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Couldn't put that any better. :)

GOOD MAN! At least someone agrees with me ;)

Superman
28-12-2007, 02:57 AM
Each club should get the same amount of money given to them at the beginning of the season, then it's up to them how they spend it!?

That would be crap really, there'd be no incentive to make/keep money if you get it every year anyway, and some teams are clearly more deserving. Also it's all private, the FA doesn't pay for it.

After successfully deciphering what you actually wrote. Everyone in the UK has 22% of their wages taxed. Football players have 44%. Players, for instance - Cristiano Ronaldo, walks off with £60,000+.

Yeah footballers get ridiculous amounts of money but it works with the economy and helps really. As with the above, it's all private, so the government loses nothing and gains massive amounts of tax just from the players' wages - not to mention the revenue off taxing tickets, grounds maintenence and the other stuff needed to run clubs.

WarezKid
28-12-2007, 03:01 AM
Man,

MILLWALL FTW :D:D

Alan_Carr
28-12-2007, 09:28 AM
football is fine as it is, why should all teams have the same money?
derby dont deserve millions like man u kfnxclosethisthread

piddle2k6
28-12-2007, 09:57 AM
I dont get what your talkin about...

Leeds united, league 1, have average attendances of 27,500. Now the highest average attendance in the championship is 25,000 by sheff utd.

How can teams like this be dying?

Leeds have bigger averages than 8 of the premierleagues teams. Wigan, Fulham, Middlesboro,Reading,Birmingham,Bolton,Blackburn and Pompey.

Then you take a team like bristol city.

Bristol city up until a few years ago were a very average team, much like bournemouth. Last season we beat them 1-0 i believe at ashton gate, but they still got promoted. Now u look at the championship table.. where are they? Theyre 4th and so in theory could be in the premiership next year.

How is that not exciting? To be like a an average league 1 team and then in 2 years having to go to old trafford to see if u can pick a point off one of the greatest teams in the world?

I rest my case

AgnesIO
28-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Football is not overated. I am a Leyton Orient fan and have been since i was Three. I am a season ticket holder and Have been since i was 4. My family (going back...) has been supporting them since 1881 when they were founded.
;););););););););););););););););););););););););)
Football is only overated if you are a glory hunter who just boasts to mates when there team win. True supporters do not over-rate it as much

---------------------------

P.S. Piddle people still reckon Leeds are in the Prem WHEN THEY ARE NOT. There assistant manager has been arrested once, for match fixing. Leeds UTD Are Cheating GITS.

P.P.S. MILWALL ARE EVEN WORSE CHEATERS. And its great fun when they lose down at Brisbane Road! MWUAHAHAHA

P.P.P.S. MAN U DO NOT DESERVE MILLIONS.

P.P.P.P.S. Arsenal and Leyton Orient are RELATED.

Minstrels
28-12-2007, 12:15 PM
How is football 'dying'? If anything theres more teams getting better like Burnley who have got a new manager, QPR have got a cash injection so they'll probably get better and Manchester City are just Gods team now we have Frank. Theres only one thing dying in football and that is Middlesbough, the rest is just getting better. I mean come on, Leeds have for a high attendance and there not even in the Championship!

Jamie!
28-12-2007, 12:43 PM
It's just clubs are realising that they have to move to a more corparate sytle to keep running smoothly, instead of focusing on the fans.

Loqo
28-12-2007, 01:07 PM
I see what you mean as i like NFL, Basketball, Baseball, UFC and others. But with living in England. You get away from football. Its the main thing. It will never die. But i see what you mean with money. I support Liverpool and now you need a fan card, and if any big games come up (e.g, Champions Leauge games) you need to have a certain amount of premership games on your fan card in order to buy the tickets, its getting ridiculas. But still, you cant stop loving football

Grainger@CUFC
28-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Ask the majority of people and they'll say there's something wrong with the game, just not enough for it to be classed as dying. Too much money for the biggest clubs and only having certain teams battling at the top are just two. They've all been debated, but when you look at it, they've all been major factors of the English game for ages. Teams like Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool have always been the biggest and that's why they've been in the top flight for so long. Now other teams like Man City, Everton and Portsmouth are found in the Champions League spots when it's always been the big four. That bit is changing for the better I feel - but the money situation is a bit out of hand I do agree - players get paid too much in my opinion so there should be a salry cap like in the Super League and NFL, which does make the game in those sports a little more 'fair', but I don't see it happening. Long live football :D

Azul
28-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Hockey as a sport is laughable it's that bad. Football is the most popular sport in the world, and it shall stay that way.

joshuar
28-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Football has been overrated since they started getting salary's in the 100k mark.

It is one of the most boring sports in existance.

Alkaz
28-12-2007, 02:51 PM
footballers used to get paid more than normal people for what they did but they always had normal jobs, i think as soon as they were earning £1000's per game it started to become overated and now some are being paid over £100k per game to me thats oiverated

Geraint
28-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Everyone complains about footballers being payed £100,000 week. Not many players get paid over £100,000 a week. If you look at American football, for instance, they get paid much more than footballers and there is a bigger percentage of them. There are lots of sports that you can earn high salaries in. Just because footballers get paid it every week not £400,000 a month, it's a different story. For winning a tournament in golf you can earn more than half a million. If the player was any good he could gain much more than one of the best footballers. Football is just being invested in, if it was over-rated, surely, no-one would want to invest in a football club. Most American football, ice-hockey, basketball and baseball teams are owned by multi-billionaires. When the sport grows in popularity, more money starts getting put into it.

Alan_Carr
28-12-2007, 07:31 PM
football ent overrated man, who cares if they earn 100k they're gd players.

Puma!
28-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Hockey as a sport is laughable it's that bad. Football is the most popular sport in the world, and it shall stay that way.
That post has made me laugh so hard.

Hockey is laughable?

Please tell me why.

Alan_Carr
29-12-2007, 08:49 PM
That post has made me laugh so hard.

Hockey is laughable?

Please tell me why.

How is it fun?
I played it at skl in P.E too many times, and it was just.. dull.

RareIce
29-12-2007, 09:08 PM
football is an excellent game, i dnt how people can call it one of the most boring sports. Anyway footballers are on alot of money they deserve it in my opinion they are gettin paid for a talent its not like me or you could go straight into the premiership with zero abillity and produce the goods, they work hard aswell training everyday also like tom cruise gets paid millions for one film because hes being paid for his talent of acting so i agree with the wages mind u 125 k a week is alot, MAN CITY TILL I DIE!

Football aint dying if anything its growing, the World cup is known as the best event on earth. Football is growing everywhere and i cant wait for Man city to win the premiership :P

Alan_Carr
30-12-2007, 10:29 AM
football is an excellent game, i dnt how people can call it one of the most boring sports. Anyway footballers are on alot of money they deserve it in my opinion they are gettin paid for a talent its not like me or you could go straight into the premiership with zero abillity and produce the goods, they work hard aswell training everyday also like tom cruise gets paid millions for one film because hes being paid for his talent of acting so i agree with the wages mind u 125 k a week is alot, MAN CITY TILL I DIE!

Football aint dying if anything its growing, the World cup is known as the best event on earth. Football is growing everywhere and i cant wait for Man city to win the premiership :P

WELL SAID BRUV! +REP

Jackbee
30-12-2007, 11:17 AM
I think at the moment football has never been better!

Puma!
31-12-2007, 04:43 PM
How is it fun?
I played it at skl in P.E too many times, and it was just.. dull.

Referring to ice hockey mate.

fweggy
31-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Football will always be good and cannot be overrated

Unless people say its better than rugby, then it really is overrated

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!