PDA

View Full Version : [College] What level do you do?

L!nK..
07-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Simple question, what level in college are you studying?

Level 1, 2,3.

vote poll :)

Also, please post what you're studying as well, thanks.

today
07-01-2008, 10:47 PM
NVQ Retail.

jesus
07-01-2008, 10:48 PM
what the hell are you on about

Mentor
07-01-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm gonna guess thats an American (or possibly other contrary education system)'s thing. Im not really sure how to translate it over to uk based schooling as im not entirely sure of what it refers to, though nothing comparable comes to mind immediately.

L!nK..
07-01-2008, 10:51 PM
what the hell are you on about

When you go college, and you pick a course it asks what level you want to go to.

Most year 11 students go to level 3 depending on their GCSE grades, but others to level 2,1.

edit: I live in the UK lol :S

jesus
07-01-2008, 10:53 PM
When you go college, and you pick a course it asks what level you want to go to.

Most year 11 students go to level 3 depending on their GCSE grades, but others to level 2,1.

edit: I live in the UK lol :Sit never asked me, and ive finished 4 2 year courses at college and ive still never heard it

VPSwow
07-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Its UK. I will be studying a level 3 strait away at college if i get in as its a level 3 course and i have over 5 A-C GCSEs.

L!nK..
it never asked me, and ive finished 4 2 year courses at college and ive still never heard it

Doesn't it say in your college prospectus?

Did you do 2 years at college? if so thats level 3

jesus
Doesn't it say in your college prospectus?

Did you do 2 years at college? if so thats level 3no it neva omg my college was scammin me

VPSwow
07-01-2008, 10:55 PM
It depends what college aswell. For example by local college doesnt have levels, but the one im going to does.

today
07-01-2008, 10:58 PM

edit: I live in the UK lol :S

Wait.

I mean im doing NVQ Level ONE, not as in level one course as im a thicko you have to start with level one on NVQ'S.

VPSwow
07-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Ok im going to try and help everyone out by explaining.

NVQ 1, 2 and 3 - Studied at college or 6th form.
Btec national diploma level 1, 2 and 3 - Also studied at college or 6th form.

NVQ 4 and Btec foundation or Honors is a degree level at university.

L!nK..
07-01-2008, 11:02 PM
no it neva omg my college was scammin me
well you done level 3 so who cares ;)

Wait.

I mean im doing NVQ Level ONE, not as in level one course as im a thicko you have to start with level one on NVQ'S.

oh k

jesus
07-01-2008, 11:03 PM
o is lvl 3 the best i thought 1 was

today
07-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Yes, level three is best though four is better if doing NVQ.

VPSwow
07-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Yes and usually if you do level 1 or 2 they will sqeeze it in with the next level for example.

Its two years for each course if you do it on its own but they would try and let you do 1 and 2 together for 2 and 3 together in the two year block. Atleast thats what they said to me incase i didnt get the grades, but i should do.

jesus
07-01-2008, 11:07 PM
woww i am wel clever

today
07-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Yes and usually if you do level 1 or 2 they will sqeeze it in with the next level for example.

Its two years for each course if you do it on its own but they would try and let you do 1 and 2 together for 2 and 3 together in the two year block. Atleast thats what they said to me incase i didnt get the grades, but i should do.
Yeah im doing 1/2 in same year.

woww i am wel clever
If your so clever why didnt you know that level 3 is best?

Not digging or anything. :)

jesus
07-01-2008, 11:13 PM

Not digging or anything. :)coz ive never even heard of em b4

VPSwow
07-01-2008, 11:16 PM

Not digging or anything. :)

What college are you going to?

today
07-01-2008, 11:17 PM
King Edwards.

:]

Pyroka
07-01-2008, 11:39 PM
BTEC National Diploma (for IT Practitioners, Software Development Stream)

Naturally, a level 3 course however for Key Skills, I'm doing level 2. I really just did a 2 year course based on Key skills in Y10 and Y11 though? :rolleyes: Silly catface.

Ramones
07-01-2008, 11:50 PM
dont know, dont really care. im just doing 4 A levels over 2 years. what does that mean.

VPSwow
07-01-2008, 11:54 PM
That is vocational so its based differently.

Mentor
07-01-2008, 11:55 PM
NVQ Level 1/GNVQ Foundation equivalent to four GCSEs, grades D-G.
NVQ Level 2/GNVQ Intermediate equivalent to four GCSEs at grade C or better.
NVQ Level 3/GNVQ Advanced equivalent to two GCE A-Levels.

Just to show a comparison between NVQ and GSCE/A level, qualifcations.

SUPERhanna.
07-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Travel and tourism intro diploma.

Thats like level one (:

Soka
08-01-2008, 08:44 AM
4 AS levels, to progress into 3 FULL A levels hopefully (drop one after this year)

&

key skills in ict - level 3
key skills in communication - level 3
level 2 is equiv of gcse, and if you get c or above in english or ict, you went straight onto level 3) :eusa_wall

jesus
08-01-2008, 11:39 AM
King Edwards.

:]they are potatoes

Mentor
08-01-2008, 12:57 PM
4 AS levels, to progress into 3 FULL A levels hopefully (drop one after this year)

&

key skills in ict - level 3
key skills in communication - level 3
level 2 is equiv of gcse, and if you get c or above in english or ict, you went straight onto level 3) :eusa_wall

Equally you get out of em if u do a relevant A level, I did computing so auto got a level 3 ict key skills :p

Soka
08-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Equally you get out of em if u do a relevant A level, I did computing so auto got a level 3 ict key skills :p

ye your lucky then lol, i do maths/physics/accounts/economics

so i being forced to do communications and ict key skills so my timetable is crap :rolleyes:

Mentor
08-01-2008, 03:26 PM
ye your lucky then lol, i do maths/physics/accounts/economics

so i being forced to do communications and ict key skills so my timetable is crap :rolleyes:
I technically was supposed to do communications, but due to some errors in there time tabling system which i never brought attention to i got missed out. Personally i believe it was a bit of a waste of time being that none of the uni's i was applying for even took them in to consideration "/

FlyingJesus
08-01-2008, 03:42 PM
PROTIP: NVQ levels aren't what he's on about

Mentor
08-01-2008, 04:19 PM
PROTIP: NVQ levels aren't what he's on about

So what exactly was he talking about then? as im back to just being confused if thats the case.

Virgin Mary
08-01-2008, 05:00 PM
AS level.

FlyingJesus
08-01-2008, 05:03 PM
On the prospectuses when it lists all the courses it says lvl 1 2 or 3 which is basically how "difficult" it is and will make a difference to what GCSEs you need to get onto it. Most academic subjects are lvl 3, some like key skills or travel&tourism and stuff are lower. It makes absolute zero difference to anything at all other than whether the college will accept you on the course or not.

L!nK..
08-01-2008, 05:32 PM
On the prospectuses when it lists all the courses it says lvl 1 2 or 3 which is basically how "difficult" it is and will make a difference to what GCSEs you need to get onto it. Most academic subjects are lvl 3, some like key skills or travel&tourism and stuff are lower. It makes absolute zero difference to anything at all other than whether the college will accept you on the course or not.

Usually level ones are the 'start up', then you have level 2 which is normal then your level 3s.

Level ones you only do one year at college then move up to level 2, which is another one year, then do another 2 years at college again, so its like 4 years at college.
Level 2 are usually one year and then if you want to go to level 3 its 2 years more.

Level 3 is the college actual standard and that's 2 years.

Btw I'm talking about Btec ( I'm sure :S)

sim
08-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Just a few Myths and Facts about Colledge Studies etc:

First of all you are all talking about the National Qualifications Framework. This is a guide as to which level (difficulty) of work is being covered by various different courses. LOTS of things (all qualifications) are on this framework and the levels are just a guide. For example the Duke of Edingburgh award is on the NQF as well as BTEC and Alevels etc etc.

Right now because something is at the Same Level, it does not at all mean they are equivalent. May I point out that ALEVELs are the most highly recognised and most difficult "Level 3" qualifications. Althought BTEC's and other qualifications are at the same level it does not mean they are euqal to Alevels.

A vocational subject ACTUALLY refers to a non-academic subject i.e Tourism, more academic subject are considered to be English, Science, Maths, Music etc Alevel.

There are also vocational Alevels (which are less highly thought of) e.g. Alevel Dance.

You will find that most "Higher" universities will only now accept Alevels (which is a shame!). So basically Doxbridge etc (Durham, Cambridge, Oxford) will not accept anything that isnt an academic alevel, it will NOT accept BTEC's or vocational subjects of any kind.

Infact Cambridge have now published a list of the Subject they don't like!
However SOME universities do accept BTEC's, alot of the New Universities infact do not mind what qualifications you have aslong as you have a certain quota of UCAS points. But to put it simply, A Levels, lead into Uni, others lead into careers.
Also bare in mind that whilst a BTEC Certificate is "Equivalent to 2 Alevels", its not entirely true.

Hope this has cleared some stuff up!

Ramones
08-01-2008, 09:40 PM
lol i heard of oxbridge but not doxbridge

today
09-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Just to show a comparison between NVQ and GSCE/A level, qualifcations.
That doesnt count for all NVQ's as you have to do certain ones in order depending on the NVQ Subject.

they are potatoes
they r but not wot i meant!!1

Mentor
09-01-2008, 08:27 PM
That doesnt count for all NVQ's as you have to do certain ones in order depending on the NVQ Subject.

they r but not wot i meant!!1
Its a general comparison. Not all A levels are equal ether, A level English will go alot further than A level general studies for example.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!