PDA

View Full Version : Redknapp rejects Newcastle offer

Clowgon
12-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp has turned down an offer to succeed Sam Allardyce as Newcastle manager. He has made the right descion. :)

Hoodstar
12-01-2008, 12:04 PM
sources: bbc.co.uk/sport

Redknapp rejects Newcastle offer

Redknapp was the bookmakers' favourite to take over at Newcastle
Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp has turned down an offer to succeed Sam Allardyce as Newcastle manager.

Redknapp was Newcastle's number one choice but after reflecting on it overnight he decided to stay put.

"I had a great offer to manage a fantastic club. It was a terrific opportunity but I had no intentions of wanting to leave," he said.

"I have a job to do to take this club forward and to walk away would not have been the right thing to do."

Redknapp, 60, was immediately installed as favourite to take over at St James' Park after Allardyce was dismissed on Wednesday just eight months into his rein as manager.

Despite public denials from Portsmouth that any contact had been made by Newcastle, the club reportedly gave Redknapp until lunchtime on Saturday to make a decision.

Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie admitted he was "very worried" Redknapp would leave.

"It has been 50/50 for a few days," Storrie told BBC 5 Live.

"Last night I thought it might be going slightly the other way but we met up this morning and with a bit of verbal persuasion he has decided to stay."

Storrie indicated Redknapp felt he still had unfinished business at Fratton Park.

"This wasn't about finance, this was about ambition," he said.

"We have come such a long way over the past two years and if we can repeat that over the next two years then there is still a long way to go.

"He is loved by the fans and has put this squad together and he wants to take them to another level."

Redknapp will now take his side to Sunderland on Sunday while Newcastle are left to assess other managerial suitors.

Blackburn boss Mark Hughes was one of those linked with the job but he has distanced himself from the post, despite being installed as the new bookmakers favourite.

Other names include former Magpies striker Alan Shearer, Martin Jol, Jose Mourinho, Italy's World Cup-winning coach Marcello Lippi and former England boss Steve McClaren.

BBC sources close to the 37-year-old Shearer, though, say he is extremely unlikely to take the role as he is happy with his pundit work on Match of the Day.

Magpies assistant boss Nigel Pearson has been put in temporary charge for Saturday's match against defending champions Manchester United.

Least one managers got his head screwed on right.. I'd put good money on Jol to join..

bigdavecox90
12-01-2008, 09:53 PM
I think maybe if they had given him a bit longer to decide, then he may have considered it, but because they basically forced him into a decision, that's why he said no.

Aflux
12-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Why would anyone want to manage Newcastle - well, maybe Iain Dowie but that's a different story.

bigdavecox90
12-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Why would anyone want to manage Newcastle - well, maybe Iain Dowie but that's a different story.

Why Iain Dowie?

Aflux
12-01-2008, 10:06 PM
He's like the footballing bicycle of managing.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!