PDA

View Full Version : Top clubs consider overseas games

Clowgon
07-02-2008, 04:21 PM
The English Premier League is considering playing some matches overseas, BBC Sport has learned.
At a meeting in London on Thursday, all 20 clubs agreed to explore a proposal to extend the season to 39 games.
Those 10 extra games would be played at venues around the world, with cities bidding for the right to stage them.
It is understood the additional fixtures could be determined by a draw but that the top-five teams could be seeded to avoid playing each over.

This is a chance for the Premier League to showcase its product around the world.

I agree with that.http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7232390.stm

Jordie
07-02-2008, 04:37 PM
great idea

hope it goes ahead

PaulMacC
07-02-2008, 04:39 PM
I also hope it goes ahead.

Geraint
07-02-2008, 05:02 PM
No, no, no, no, no.

Simply because it is not fair. Some of the lesser teams will have to face some of the top 4. If they played some exhibition matches, maybe, but not proper Premiership matches.

Minstrels
07-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Bad idea.

Aflux
07-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Bad idea.
On what grounds?

Brody
07-02-2008, 06:01 PM
i think it would do well and would make the premier league even more well known than it already is

e5
07-02-2008, 06:07 PM
What so they're putting a football pitch floating over a sea? :O

Aflux
07-02-2008, 06:09 PM
What so they're putting a football pitch floating over a sea? :O
Your attempt at being funny, failed.

It's a 100% good thing - promotes the Premier League.

Minstrels
07-02-2008, 06:11 PM
On what grounds?
How many fans would Derby take to let's say... Japan? Or if Burnley got promoted how many fans would they take too... Australia? I think it would only benifit Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Everton, Spurs and Manure.

Mr.Sam
07-02-2008, 06:13 PM
they would be playing other teams in the league.

it's like when two American football teams played their league game at Wembley.

How many fans would Derby take to let's say... Japan? Or if Burnley got promoted how many fans would they take too... Australia? I think it would only benifit Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Everton, Spurs and Manure.

Aflux
07-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Well you've certainly got the wrong end of the stick.

Minstrels
07-02-2008, 06:28 PM
they would be playing other teams in the league.

it's like when two American football teams played their league game at Wembley.
Now I get it! Thanks for that, yeah a pretty good idea tbh! :P

Shoovers
07-02-2008, 07:28 PM
I think its a bad idea.
The premier league is english, so keep it english and whats the point travelling half way round the world to play 1 game

07-02-2008, 08:02 PM
The first word that comes to my mind is Jet lag...

Minstrels
07-02-2008, 08:12 PM
The first word that comes to my mind is Jet lag...
I forget about that... BAD IDEA! :P

Xeck
07-02-2008, 08:20 PM
What if a team are 17th in the league and in this 39th game have to play top of the league, whereas the team below them play a worse club and end up staying up because the 17th place team get thrashed??? Same goes if the top of the league play quite a hard side and end up losing whereas second in the league play bottom and win the Premiership. Surely this extra game will be unfair because positions can be decided on a matter of a few points difference. Good idea for promoting our football, terrible idea for the points being added to the final Premier League table. :l

Geraint
07-02-2008, 08:30 PM
What if a team are 17th in the league and in this 39th game have to play top of the league, whereas the team below them play a worse club and end up staying up because the 17th place team get thrashed??? Same goes if the top of the league play quite a hard side and end up losing whereas second in the league play bottom and win the Premiership. Surely this extra game will be unfair because positions can be decided on a matter of a few points difference. Good idea for promoting our football, terrible idea for the points being added to the final Premier League table. :l

Exactly, what I've been saying. If they didn't add a game on it would be fine but they are.

e5
07-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Your attempt at being funny, failed.

It's a 100% good thing - promotes the Premier League.
Who's being funny? Noone.

alexxxxx
07-02-2008, 08:48 PM
It's a good idea i suppose, play them at the beginning of the year, however, it's not about 'how many fans are derby gonna take?'

cause really, Derby MIGHT take some fans (they fill their stadium every week even when losing) and we are actually quite a large club. However, who in Thailand are gonna wanna see Derby vs Fulham? no one. The big clubs will get massive audiences but the smaller clubs won't see anyone.

Xeck
07-02-2008, 08:54 PM
;4426012']It's a good idea i suppose, play them at the beginning of the year, however, it's not about 'how many fans are derby gonna take?'

cause really, Derby MIGHT take some fans (they fill their stadium every week even when losing) and we are actually quite a large club. However, who in Thailand are gonna wanna see Derby vs Fulham? no one. The big clubs will get massive audiences but the smaller clubs won't see anyone.

The plan is no one in the top 5 can get each other, so a lower, less interesting club could be drawn against top of the league. But still, based on my earlier point, I despise this idea.

Shrlurp
07-02-2008, 08:59 PM
This will help support the game even though I don't like it!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!