PDA

View Full Version : AS Levels?

Charlie
27-02-2008, 11:44 AM
So, instead of spending next year being a lazy git, I'm going to go back to college and do AS levels. So, I have some questions.

Is there a limit to how many you can/have to take? Like, a min of x and a max of x?

Are AS levels hard? As in loads of coursework, work in the classroom and stuff?

Can I take a GCSE class as well as my AS levels?

Do you thinking taking AS English Language & GCSE Sociology would be enough? Or, should I take another class as well as those two?

I know you may not be able to give a proper answer to some of them, but a general idea on what you think would be awesome. :P

kardiogram
27-02-2008, 11:48 AM
i think it's 4 you can take upto. not sure what the minimum is sorry :(

they're not hard if you do the work - it's when you start leaving stuff to the last minute, and get behind... then it gets hard!

i think you can take a gcse with one; i know someone who did =]
you're best bet is probably getting in contact with them, and speak to a tutor there, who will be able to give you the best advice :]

btw english language is quite good too ^_^ (imo)

sorry if that didn't help!
xx

jesus
27-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Is there a limit to how many you can/have to take? Like, a min of x and a max of x?
Colleges (or at least the ones near me) usually recommend starting with 4 and then dropping one as you progress to A-Level. I'm sure you can choose between 3 and 5.

Not loads - unless you let it get on top of you. If you meet deadlines and do all the work then it's fine. :)

Usually - better to ask your college just to be sure.

Do you thinking taking AS English Language & GCSE Sociology would be enough? Or, should I take another class as well as those two?
Another one might be a good idea, again I'd ask your college just to confirm how many you are allowed.

Charlie
27-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks! It was helpful :) +rep

Asher
27-02-2008, 01:48 PM
So, instead of spending next year being a lazy git, I'm going to go back to college and do AS levels. So, I have some questions.
Good. Slackers and lazy people get no where in life.

Usually a minimum of 4 in the first year, or it is for my college anyway. Most people usually drop one of these so they are taking just 3 of them onto further study. Some people take 5 in the first year, and drop one and some people continue to study all 5. Usually the bigger intellects.

I suppose it depends on your subject choices. Some AS levels are significantly more relaxed/easier than others. They are a step up from GCSE, but I wouldn't say a huge step. Just don't fall behind, as advised above :)

This usually counts as one of your subjects. In my case I only got to take 3 AS levels as I was advised to resit maths GCSE. But generally, yes you can.

Do you thinking taking AS English Language & GCSE Sociology would be enough?
I don't know how your college works, but as i've mentioned mine has a minimum of 4 in the first year. Which is wise really, as most Unis want atleast 3 A-levels, so it gives you that room to drop one if you do badly and what not. So you'd come out of college with an A-Level in English Language and a GCSE in Sociology? No, that wouldn't be sufficient.

I know you may not be able to give a proper answer to some of them, but a general idea on what you think would be awesome. :P
OK

Charlie
27-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks for you reply +rep.

Misawa
27-02-2008, 04:58 PM
I believe 5 is the maximum amount of courses that you can do at AS level, and you can do GCSE retakes with other college students, not start entirely new GCSE subjects with actual GCSE students. There isn't that much coursework, and the recommended amount of subjects is 4, you can do 2 AS and one GCSE retake though.

kk.
27-02-2008, 05:06 PM
it seems like alll your qs are answered but anyway..

the amount you can takje depends on how many the college offers. they recommend four then drop 1 in A2. i know people who are taking 5 and there like non stop working lol.

there not that hard and in some subjects like maths, you dont get any until A2.

just a little bit more information :)

Virgin Mary
27-02-2008, 05:31 PM
You can take as many A levels as you want, but the college probably wouldn't let you. I knew a chinese boy who did 11 a levels.

N!ck
27-02-2008, 05:39 PM
You could probably take as many as you want. Most will only let you do 5 ans a max and recommend 4. Do a minimum of 3 as that's how many you need for Uni.

Charlie
27-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Okay, thanks :)

StripedTiger
27-02-2008, 08:10 PM
you can take 4 AS levels tops. They can be hard, they are a lot harder than GCSE, but it depends more on which subjects. I'm not sure about GCSE and AS level, but i dont see why not? Try asking at an opening evening of a college? Some colleges preferre you to do more then 2 subjects. I'd try stretching to 3 atleast? maybe another GCSE or AS level?

Asher
27-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Just don't take 2 if you plan on going to a decent Uni. Most Unis want 3, and some want an additional AS level with those 3.

Mirkwood
27-02-2008, 09:44 PM
you can take 4 AS levels tops. They can be hard, they are a lot harder than GCSE, but it depends more on which subjects. I'm not sure about GCSE and AS level, but i dont see why not? Try asking at an opening evening of a college? Some colleges preferre you to do more then 2 subjects. I'd try stretching to 3 atleast? maybe another GCSE or AS level?

You can take as many A-Levels as you want, whether it be the AS or the A2 level. The reason being for this, you can self-teach yourself the work and merely sit the examinations either externally, or with your college.

Many people teach themselves, Further Mathematics especially, Six AS-Levels is usually the most people take at one time, as they have to prioritise and use time management skills very well.

Many Universities ask for three A Levels and one AS Level, but some will ask for the four straight A Levels, such as Oxbridge on some of their courses.

Liz♥
28-02-2008, 01:52 PM
The coursework is only hard depending on the subject you take, some subjects aren't even that heavy. (Literature is better haha)

Charlie
28-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the replies. :)

alexxxxx
28-02-2008, 04:44 PM
The college i wanna go asked me if i wanted to do 5! I was like.. hmm... i'll think about it.

StripedTiger
28-02-2008, 04:48 PM
You can take as many A-Levels as you want, whether it be the AS or the A2 level. The reason being for this, you can self-teach yourself the work and merely sit the examinations either externally, or with your college.

Many people teach themselves, Further Mathematics especially, Six AS-Levels is usually the most people take at one time, as they have to prioritise and use time management skills very well.

Many Universities ask for three A Levels and one AS Level, but some will ask for the four straight A Levels, such as Oxbridge on some of their courses.

It depends on the college / sixth form?

The colleges where I live let you do 4 AS levels but surely it depends on your GCSE grades?
I doubt many could cope with doing more than 4, but i suppose how good you are at teaching yourself

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!